2019 488: Before and After | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2019 488: Before and After

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FordGTDriver, Mar 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    About $14,000 total, with sensors and special centers machined to accept the Ferrari center cap.

2. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    Thanks. The Pista rockers really made a difference, IMHO. Maybe I don't really need an F8 after all...:)

3. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    I really should give credit to two wonderful shops that helped me out. First, TAG Motorsports. These guys are consummate professionals and have installed Novitec mods on a multitude of 458/488s They do all the lowering and install work in house, including the alignment, and their skills are immaculate. I trailered the car all the way to California just to have them do the work, and I was not disappointed. Second, is ICE Performance in Scottsdale, Arizona. Jack has done all of my tire and HRE wheel work for many years, and his attention to detail and experience is astounding. I have no affiliation with either business except as a happy, perfectionist customer.

It's so hard to find skilled professionals now days that I feel like I ought to point them out when I find them.

4. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    Car looks fantastic! Enjoy!

5. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    interesting, why are the Ferrari wheels so incredibly heavy?

6. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Excellente!

7. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Like all manufacturers, they will always be more conservative than not for things like ride height and especially wheel strength and durability as they don't want a rash of warranty claims or complaints from owners busting wheels over potholes or crashing the underbody over garage entrances.

f355spider likes this.
  8. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    40 lbs is a good weight savings. Does the 40 lbs delta include the larger diameter tires also, or just the wheels?

Any reduction in unsprung mass will certainly help ride and handling.

As for acceleration and deceleration, this is also a function of the rotational inertia and for which the benefits will not be proportional to the weight savings because of the larger diameters (especially of the heavy tire tread) being a function of the square of the wheel/tire radius.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    In response to your question, the weights as shown are the tire and wheel combined. So, while the rear tire diameter is larger (.7 inch), the wheel/tire package is about 5 lbs lighter per corner. It would be interesting to know which has the greatest impact on acceleration...the lower rotational mass all around, or the slightly larger diameter on the rear axle. As I mentioned earlier, the wildest thing is that now the speedo reads accurately.

On a similar note, the ultimate solution for the rear would be a smaller tire on the incredibly light HRE wheel. In such a case, it may have been possible to reduce the rotational mass by a total of 60 lbs. However, the tire sizes are not presently available to make this work without it looking very awkward on the rear. I was thrilled that I was actually able to do a 21" at the rear without a weight penalty :)

of2worlds and ingegnere like this.
  10. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I branched out a bit when I ordered the interior this time; Iroko Daytona Racing Buckets. I like the natural tone of the leather, and it's an easier color to keep clean than the traditional lighter beige. I'm a bit burned out on black...

F140C, f355spider, Ash Patel and 3 others like this.
  11. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Beautiful seats!

RickVC likes this.
  12. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    458 Spider 0414, RickVC, jm2 and 3 others like this.
  13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Looks amazing. Cuio? Had three Ferraris with the tan interior...too hard to keep clean and looking nice. Cuio is the better option...and just looks so luxurious to boot.

14. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    This color is called Iroko; just a bit darker the Cuio.

f355spider likes this.
  15. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    Can you tell me if there are any things to watch for when dealing with SForza? What was the cost and condition of the shipping container?

Thanks!

16. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Your choice of mods makes the car look a lot more aggressive

17. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    Nicolo was very responsive and easy to work with; be prepared to wait for the part to be manufactured and painted; the wait is very worth it, however. The quality of the part is impeccable. I'd say it sure looks like an OEM part, if I didn't know any better ;).

18. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    Thanks, Saraojo! The Pista skirts really transform the car, IMHO. It's hard to quantify, but the effect of the the lower contour completing the radius of the rear arch makes the haunch look much more balanced. I actually prefer the Pista skirt to the F8 skirt, although both are a significant improvement to the somewhat slab sided relief of the standard 488. The exposed carbon of the Pista skirt in black also reduces the waistline of the car... Your experience by vary :)

19. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    ryalex, RickVC, SVR and 2 others like this.
  20. midengine

midengine Karting

May 7, 2007
    Hi GTdriver,

Can you please share the "width" of your front and rear wheels ? i.e. front 20 x ? Rear 21 x ?.

Thanks !

21. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Beautiful. Makes me want to save some $$$ and go out and buy a 488 and upgrade it with your exact mods. A great look and bang for the buck. Add in some Novitec piggyback box and perhaps an upgrade exhaust and you can nearly approximate F8 performance at $100k in savings. Impressive.

22. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    20x9 Front, 21x13 Rear. Hope this helps!

midengine likes this.
  23. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    Thanks SB27! I'm super pleased with the way it turned out, and until I see the F8 in person, I keep telling myself that I like the cleaner lines of the 488. Maybe I'm in denial...

24. midengine

midengine Karting

May 7, 2007
    Wow I like the look of those meaty 355 rear tires!

FordGTDriver likes this.