McLaren threatens to leave F1 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

McLaren threatens to leave F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Mar 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yep, I don't particulary like it, but that's the way it seems to go.
    Soon with the imposition of speed limiters on cars (EU legislation from 2022), most sport car companies will switch to producing electric SUVs anyway.
    I am not so sure the future générations will still be interested by the ICE.
    Those fans of atmospheric engines, will look weird in 30 years time, just like steam buffs are now. That's the way it goes.

2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The EUs speed limiters can be switched off, thankfully, so only the snowflakes and ponces will be allowing themselves controlled by the state. The rest of us will be switching off, and nailing the throttle well into the future, and the more softies buy electric cars, the more petrol is left for dinosaurs like me to enjoy blasting past them at high speed burning it all up.... sounds like heaven to me. I already enjoy running up alongside Prius dropping a few gears and making them rattle as I show them the power of a disregard for MpG, imagine the fun when they are in electric silence on autopilot sleeping along at 20mph and I shake them up with a low flying pass at 90! They better have dark coloured seats in their 1-1 scale scalectrix cars

3. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    And how in the world does Honda f-up a hybrid engine? Sure they aren't Toyota but seriously? And with that, even Toyota had to wait for both Audi AND Porsche to leave Le Mans before they could actually win with a hybrid car. There may have been some bad sportsmanship and trickery going on when they were all in it together the past few years. I remember a race where Toyota crashed out late under suspicious circumstances. Somehow they came together with another car under braking into the Mulsanne corner resulting in an epic crash. Either way they finally did it last year...on their own.

And Formula e? Massively boring and flat. Bruno Senna had to walk away, again, to WEC at least. It was a step back up in my eyes. Nobody wants to watch slot cars. And as for the 5 years F1 is dead line? No way. Like the whole global warming thing, and no airplanes or cows thing. That's just crazy. Old, stinky petrol engines will be around for a long time. My Miata is 19 years old and people are still impressed with it. Only now is the performance hybrid tech really taking hold on the road. BMW was first, then Porsche, then Ferrari and Mercedes, then all the others. Less than 10 years ago.

daytona355 and Remy Zero like this.
  4. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    You think they are still mid-field? :oops:

5. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    When you guys say that F1 needs Ferrari not the other way around, are you saying that in a form of pride?

IF that is indeed true, that's almost proof the series is dead. The theory that it's only surviving on nostalgia is accurate and there is no way out. Would be sad if true.

6. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    well that was an excellent argument lol

daytona355 likes this.
  7. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    No intention whatsoever do watch such dulldom. I only watch F1 because Ferrari are in it, but if Ferrari are producing Formula E cars then I won't bother with that either.

Isobel, Jeronimo GTO and daytona355 like this.
  8. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Absolutely..... I already have a fantastic slot car layout, and plenty of Ferrari’s to race on it. Don’t need Ferrari cow towing to the environmentalists..... let the mainstream car makers play around with their AAA powered crap, let’s keep Ferrari’s pure!

MalcQV likes this.
  9. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    A friend of mine was instructing at a high performance driving event and one of the entrants brought out their Tesla. This was on the big track at Willow Springs. My friend drove the car with the student/owner in the passenger seat. My friend was very very very impressed with how the Tesla performed. And that is the way it is going to be. Only a post-apocalyptic Mad Max world will save the ICE.

10. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Not sure how Verstappen is going to save ICE, but hey, I don’t care how it’s done! :)

The annoying thing is that global warming is not wholely the reason for climate change, there’s plenty of other stuff, and seeing it’s not reversible, who really cares?

11. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I am in Germany now this last 45 day, and i am amazed at the so called 'snowflake' generation. Really a bunch of losers. They are so overprotected. makes Malaysia so much better.

daytona355 likes this.
  12. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    Interesting. But how does this relate to the McLaren F1 team?

Remy Zero likes this.
  13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ..Because the whole Mclaren is a bunch of cornflakes......

Remy Zero likes this.
  14. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    Hmmmm . . . . My observation is they are doing well this year minus ALO.

15. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Nothing. I was just going off topic. Sorry about this

16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Germany, undisputed among the first 10 World economic powers, probably 4th or 5th, depending on who counts.

Not bad for a bunch of losers.

Where is "so much better" Malaysia standing in this ranking ?

Just saying ...

17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The improved performance is more directly related to the release of Eric Boullier rather than Alonso IMO.

daytona355 likes this.
  18. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

As you well know, he is talking about the psychological makeup and attitudes of the millennial people there on the whole, not the financial economic strength of the countries.

Remy Zero likes this.
  19. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I do not deny that at all. I love this place, the people here, and the new friends I have made and will be hard for me to say goodbye. But what i realize is, they are living in the past. The newer generation are very soft, and not as aggressive as their predecessors. The working culture here is very relaxed compared to Malaysia, Singapore. I feel the youngsters are taking for granted on what their forefathers have built Germany into. That is all I can say.

20. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Yes sir.

daytona355 likes this.