Aftermarket Stereos in Classic Ferraris | FerrariChat

Aftermarket Stereos in Classic Ferraris

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by cali_488, Mar 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cali_488

cali_488 Rookie

Mar 29, 2019
    How common was it to install aftermarket stereos in Ferraris in the 1970s and 1980s? Any insights would be appreciated.

2. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    I have an 85 Mondial QV.

It was delivered to the original purchaser/owner with a dealer installed Alpine.

I have the original paperwork from the dealer where they charged for the radio and installation.

Sid

paulchua likes this.
  3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    By definition stereos were aftermarket since very few if any came from the factory with one installed until maybe the Mondial (at a guess)

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Very common. Lots of aftermarket alarm systems during the 80's and 90's too. Oh, and huge mobile phones along with their antennas as well.

F456M likes this.
  5. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I think the 512 BBi Boxer was the first to come with a radio (and equalizer) installed at the factory. I know the 328's were not, I don't think any of the Mondials had them either. Not sure about 348. I think the 355's did have a factory radio option.

Even though the 328's did not come with a factory radio, they did come with a factory power antenna, and speakers.

6. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I know that you asked about slightly older Ferraris but when I installed the sound system in my 355 Spider the requirement was that no holes were to be drilled and everything must be able to be put back like nothing happened. They utilized existing holes and used velcro to hold down the custom speaker boxes etc.

7. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Speaking of drilling holes, I recently heard about a hole possibly being drilled in the roof of a Testarossa. Not sure why exactly but would assume for cell phone. Would that even be possible or "commonplace"?

8. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I am interested to see what the reply will be. I have a 1986 328 and a telephone cable is fed and comes out from the roof liner near the rear view mirror. What it is for I have no idea. Maybe those 80s early cell phone bricks, something to do with a radar system or alarm??? But why through the roof liner at the front by the rear view mirror???

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app