Seat Belt/Door Open Buzzer Wiring (USA, Canada, Japan) | FerrariChat

Seat Belt/Door Open Buzzer Wiring (USA, Canada, Japan)

Discussion in '348/355' started by Qavion, Mar 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Folks, I've been trying to figure out the wiring and operation of the Seat Belt/Door Open Buzzer module under the dash (near the driver's knee on the centre console side). I don't have a USA car, so it's for general interest only. The Ferrari part number is 61830700 and the module may be labelled Segnalatore Acustico.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ferrari-328-GTS-Seatbelt-Warning-Buzzer-61830700-J082-/382489379574

I got stuck trying to do a pinout for the plug on the module. The module is shown on numerous pages on the somewhat incomplete Ferrari wiring diagrams (as item 06625) .

The plug has a non-standard numbering system with the even numbered pins on one horizontal row and the odd numbered pins on the other horizontal row. 1, 3, 5, 7 and 2, 4, 6, 8.

Pin 1: White-black wire - linked to passenger door open switch
    Pin 3: Don't know the wire colour (if there is one).
    Pin 5: Wire may be pink - related to brake warning light test during engine start
    Pin 7: (no pin on module, so I assume no wire)

Pin 2: Brown-white wire - linked to driver's door open switch
    Pin 4: Wire may be pink-yellow or yellow-blue (not sure)- possibly related to the seat belt
    Pin 6: Black wire - related to brake warning light test during engine start (earth wire)
    Pin 8: White wire - related to brake warning light test during engine start (power wire but only during engine start)

Would someone with some free time be able to take a look at the wire colours? Thanks!

Here's the incomplete diagram for the "door open" side of the module (5.2 car) :

Figure 10 Wiring Diagram

Regarding operation: Does the module buzzer have its own power source or does power comes from user systems (e.g via the door and seat belt warning lights? i.e. fuse 30 > door open light (on door), buzzer module pin 1 (or 2) > buzzer speaker > earth pin (?) on module.

Thanks
    Cheers

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Can't make any sense of this at all. The colours in the photograph are not matching the pin numbering on the real unit or the pin numbers in the wiring diagrams or the pin numbering Alex used.

Here are the pin numbers on the unit (see last picture):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-328-355-Others-Seat-Belt-Brakes-Warning-Buzzer-Part-61830700-/131849060167

They may be different to the socket numbers on the plug (car side). For example, Alex called the pin with the yellow/blue wire on it "pin 1". That's actually pin 2 of the unit. The wiring diagrams assign pin 2 to a brown-white wire. The wiring diagram colour for unit pin 1 is not legible, but may be a white-black wire.

Hopefully someone can provide some accurate pin numbers and colours.

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Timely... for the first time, the other day, I heard the buzzer for about a second, but couldn't replicate it.

Let me look at it tomorrow, you've piqued my interest. :)

Qavion likes this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, Wade.

I just had a look at my non-USA, Can, Jap module. It has 5 pins on the module and 5 wires (on a 9 socket plug). It has a small speaker grille, but I don't think it's active on Australian cars. The seat belt has no input into the module. I don't even know why the door open wiring goes through there (unless it's using the diode in the module or Ferrari was aiming for some commonality of wiring harnesses).

6. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    I'm out of action till next week mate then I can also have a look to see if there are any variation to the info you have

Qavion likes this.
  7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Same here... several things have come up so the car is covered...

Apologies to Ian.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    No problemo ) Thanks, guys.

9. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    G'day Ian
    I pulled the corner vent and found the buzzer loom and a photo to help if any. Mine is a 4 wire plug from buzzer loom colours are Red, black, grey + grey. Car loom side are from buzzer loom to car loom in this order
    Red to green /white stripe
    Black to black
    Grey to light pink
    Grey to white with black strip.
    My buzzer unit feel to be round not like the square one you have posted mate. If you need anything else just ask. I will help if I can mate
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry, Paul, I've forgotten if your car is US or UK conversion.
    I'm more confused than before. As far as I know, there are only two kinds of "brake warning light and door/seat belt buzzer modules" These are shown in parts manuals and the plug is always part of the module, not on a long harness.

Does your car have a buzzer for doors and seat belts? Seat belt wires are typically yellow with blue stripe and/or pink with yellow stripe. You have neither of those colours.
    Typically, the brake warning light side of of the module uses 3 wires which are white, pink and black. These do not correspond to any one side of your plug (unless you've misidentifed the red wire... Could it be a dark pink colour?).

Green (with white stripe) wires are generally power from the "AC System" fuse. My car and Alex's car (in the other thread) doesn't have any green/white wires going to the module.

Can you see the part number on the buzzer? Maybe the harness if for a different buzzer or something else? The buzzer is usually located under the dash, not in it. I thought you might have found the turn signal acoustic repeater (found on earlier cars), but that has different wire colours. I've checked every wiring diagram and there is nothing like that plug.

Sorry that you had to dismantle your car. Those vents are fragile. Please be careful with it.

11. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Mines US. When feel for it its definitly round mate. Its behind a little vent in the lower dash section about knee height on the RH side of the steering colum. There is some ducting in the way that goes to the vent i removed. The buzzer is basically between the dash and the ducting. maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot?? i will view the drawings and re-post. Happy to help god knows you have helped me plenty of times. Certainly wouldn't be suprised by Ferrari to have something different though??

12. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Cabin temp sensor i think i was playing with. I will have another look tomorrow

Qavion likes this.
  13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Beetle likes this.
  14. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I thought possibly that was the cabin sensor but you said to the right of steering wheel mines on left

15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    My buzzer is between that cabin sensor and the steering wheel. Its square

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, Grant. Seems to be different to my Aussie car. I assumed the setup would be symmetrical on LHD/RHD cars.

17. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
  18. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Can't locate mine yet. Will have some time tomorrow for a good look.

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  20. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    I have searched high- low up and down in that car and there is no buzzer let alone the plug that it would plug toooooooo. Sorry Ian no joy in my car to help!!!. If it's there the conversion people hid it super well!!!

21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'm wondering if you have one at all, Paul. As far as I know, the "buzzer" unit on Euro and Australian cars just does two things:
    1) illuminates the brake warning light during engine start/crank (i.e. the [(!)] symbol)
    2) links up the left & right door open switch switch circuits to provide a single input into the door warning module (to put on the interior lights).

If you don't have the brake warning light during engine start function on your "hybrid" car, maybe you don't have a buzzer unit. I guess the door open stuff can be hardwired in (All you need is a diode to simulate normal F355 functionality). If you don't have a diode, opening the one door only, will illuminate both door lights (i.e. the lights on the doors).

22. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Found it 4 wires
    Black
    Blue / BLK trace
    Blue
    Red / GRN trace

Attached Files:

23. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Nope... Try again. ;) That's the turn signal acoustic repeater (found on cars up to assembly number 24037). I think it just makes the turn indicator clicking sound louder.

Ferrari part number 157498

Thanks anyway. At least I know where it is if someone asks me. I'll add the location on my wiring diagram.

Cheers!

24. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Hahaha maybe it doesn't have one!! Sorry mate no help

25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I just confirmed on my car that when I open the driver's door only, both driver's and passenger's "door open" lights come on. When I open the passenger's door, only the passenger door light comes on. This is because of the diode in the buzzer unit (shown in the wiring diagram). Paul, if your car operates like this, this shows you have a buzzer unit somewhere (with an inbuild diode). Although, during your LHD~RHD conversion, they may not have swapped over your door wiring (in which case, opening the passenger door may put on both lights and opening the driver's door may only put on the driver's light)

If you have no buzzer (and no unique-to-your-car added diode), opening up a single door will only illuminate that respective door light. If this is the case, then the alarm won't trigger if you open the driver's door (or the passenger door if your wiring wasn't reversed during your LHD~RHD conversion)

Beetle likes this.