330 GTC headlight and fog light switches and circuits | FerrariChat

330 GTC headlight and fog light switches and circuits

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 330GCC, Apr 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 330GCC

330GCC Rookie

Aug 22, 2006
    Hi all,

Hope you can help me. I recently had some upholstery rehab done on my 1967 330 GTC that required removal of the center console and toggle switches. When I got the care back, headlights were not working but tail lights and license plates lights were. Turn signals and brake lights working. Defrosters were also not working. We’ve started to sort out the problem and I am finding a number of weird wiring setups. We’ve pulled the light toggle switch on the left side of the console and with some experimentation, can get the the toggle to turn the fog lights/engine compartment light on-off and not related to the light toggle, can get the steering column wand to power the headlights off-low-high: the dash toggle switch has no effect on the headlights. In this configuration, now the tail lights/license lights do not work.

My initial questions are how does the light toggle interact with the column lever switch. Are they connected somehow as a multi-way switch or are they separate circuits. I seem to remember that to turn the headlights on, I needed to turn the toggle on and then use the steering column wand to chose off-low-high. Also, wondering how many terminals the light toggle switch should have? The one I pulled has 4 terminals. I also found a push/pull switch on the left side of the steering column and wonder what this is.

Thanks you for any advice.

Graham

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It sounds like there is some really messed up wiring in your car. The left toggle switch (for the lights) should have a black plastic housing with six spade connectors. all of the other dash toggle switches have four terminals with white plastic housings. All of the toggle switches were made by Lucas. Only five of the six spade connectors are used on the light switch. In the on position this switch sends power to a 4-pole black plastic junction block, located at the upper left hand corner of your fuse box plate in the engine compartment. This junction block will have three or four small black wires on one pole, a green wire, red/black wire, a violet wire and a white wire at the other poles. All of these poles should be connected together and powered when the dash toggle is on. This block will power up the parking lights, taillights, license lights and dash lights (through the rheostat). Some of power to these lights is routed back through the fusebox. You will have to look at the labels on the fusebox cover and in the owners manual. The other wires from the dash toggle switch send power to the steering column switch. Some will power the high-beam flash contacts in the column switch when the toggle is in the off position, and the others will power the headlights through the column switch when the toggle is in the on position. The column switch then sends power for the low beam headlights back to the fuse box (via yellow wire) and to the high-beam headlight via the red wire.
    The later 330gtc incorporated a large black plastic CEAM relay for headlight power, if your car has it, it will be attached to the right side metal support for the steering column under the dash and have three wires to it (two blacks and one red/black wire).
    These cars never came from the factory with foglights. The wiring would be there for the lights, but no switch. On the 330GTS, the second from the right toggle switch marked "X" would be used for the foglight switch, but on the GTC this switch is marked "R" and is for the rear window defroster. The connectors/wiring for the foglights just hangs loose under the dash, and the power wire to the foglights end in the wiring harness midway along the RF fender.
    There was never a push-pull switch on a 330gtc from the factory.
    For normal light use, you would turn the dash toggle on and get park/tail/licence/dashlights with the column switch in the upper position. Then move the column switch to the middle position for low beams, and finally to the lower position for high beams.
    Anytime the toggle switch is on, you should get a green "lights" or "luci" indicator light at the middle bottom of the speedometer. With the high beams on, you will get a blue warning light "Fari" or Projec" at the middle bottom of the tach.
    Finding the correct toggle switch for the lights is going to be difficult as they have be unavailable for years. It they are in good shape, I restore them by taking them apart and cleaning the contacts.

clive beecham, SCantera and TTR like this.
  3. 330GCC

330GCC Rookie

Aug 22, 2006
    Brian, Thank you for your very thorough and helpful info. Graham

4. suleyman

suleyman Rookie

Apr 22, 2014
    PNW
    Motob,

Thanks for such detail. On my gtc, the engine bay lights do not work unless the console "L" switch is flipped. Is that the factory correct setting? The interior lights and trunk light work without having the switch turned on.

Thanks for any "light" you can shed on this!

Suleyman

5. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    That's how it is for my 330GT 2+2.

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    That is correct. There is power to the engine lights only when the "L" switch is on. They are one of the small wires (Violet) that is connected to the 4 pole black rubber junction block on the fusebox panel. There should be a push switch that contacts the hood that will only let the lights work when the hood is open at the RR . corner of the hood.

suleyman likes this.
  7. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Brian....thank you for the detailed information on how the lighting system is wired in the GTC. As you mentioned the toggle switch for the lights is different than the other toggles on the console. Not only does it have a 6 spade connector but it is also a heavier spring action than the other 4 spade switches. About 40 years ago I was driving my first GTC on a dark road only to have the light switch toggle fail. It just flopped and the lights went out. Luckily I kept an extra 4 spade switch in the glovebox and was able to "jury-rig" it in to get back on the road.

My guess is that on the OP's car the upholstery contractor didn't mark the wiring and draw a diagram when he disassembled the console and removed the switches. As long as all the pieces are there it can be put back together properly.

What I never heard was that foglights were ever an option whether the GTC or GTS. My dad had a GTS and as you said the second from the right toggle was marked "X". My GTC was "R" to activate the rear window defroster. I don't think Ferrari offered the foglight option. Always willing to learn something new.

Somewhere I have a wiring diagram for my GTC. I had a completely new harness made when I had a end to end mechanical restoration performed on my car a few years back.

8. suleyman

suleyman Rookie

Apr 22, 2014
    PNW

Much appreciated!

9. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Re 330 head lights.
    Please can anyone tell me if they should be Carello as I have seen some with H7 lens ?

10. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #10 enio45, Nov 17, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    i know this is older thread - but could use some advise

I have a 88XX vin 330 GTC at the shop

to start - it has AC

On the fuse panel - looking at it straight on

relays - we have 3 of them

large CEAM one - lucas 1 - lucas 2

Can anyone define what each one is used for?

CEAM - ac or fans or ignition , lucas 1 = fans??, lucas 2 = ignition????

I was under the believe that the CEAM was an ignition relay ??

someone else was into the fuse panel and disconnected all the relays - and moved wires, so i trying to straighten this out :-(

11. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Ed, looking at the fuse panel straight on: The large black plastic CEAM relay provides power with the ignition key on to the four upper fuses on the right side fusebox. These four fuses are jumped with a brass buss plate that is riveted to the inside of the fusebox just under the left side where the fuses clip in. There would be a large brown wire from the output of the CEAM relay to the input terminal on one of these four fuses on the fusebox.

The center Lucas relay is the radiator cooling fan relay. When the temperature switch in the radiator closes (when the coolant is hotter than 90C/190F), it energizes this relay to turn both cooling fans on.

The left relay should also be a large black plastic CEAM relay. Someone probably replaced it with a Lucas when they couldn't buy a CEAM relay. If you look at the phenolic fuse board, you should see the two (upper/lower) original mounting holes for the CEAM relay, and may see the old outline of relay body.

This is the A/C fan relay. When the A/C compressor is energized, this relay closes, and powers just the right cooling fan (regardless of coolant temperature). If the coolant temperature exceeds 90C/190F, then the left cooling fan will also come on. But it is wired this way so the temperature switch in the radiator will not energized the compressor clutch.

Brian Brown
    Grand Touring Enterprises
    Frederick, MD

enio45 and readplays like this.
  12. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Brian, excellent education - let me look as what i have and where and i maybe back to ask a few questions :)

Can't thank you enough for the detail