F8 - Saw the F8 Tributo live | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F8 Saw the F8 Tributo live

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Principissimo, Apr 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    You see I agree with you but, having had 458 and 488, my view is different.
    F8 is awesome but too familiar to me. I like to change and this is what is stopping me to call the dealer ;)

Ash Patel likes this.
  2. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Just me, but I prefer the look of the 488 to the F8, but I own a 458 which I think is a masterpiece. The cars have gotten progressively more busy, which I think would not have happened if they were all Pininfarina designs.

Aesthetically, to me the Battista is what an updated Italia should look like.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    [​IMG]

3. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Can only speak for myself but this is how I buy my cars. In fact found a 911 last night that I can’t live without and I’m buying it today. I guess I’ve been fortunate or prudent even that I’ve never based a car purchase on value or depreciation or any reason other than is it tugging at my heartstrings/making me smile/can’t think about anything else or not. It was the case for the 488 for me too :)

I think waiting is the good call, maybe putting a *refundable* deposit down to have the option to spec the F8 in a year time though can’t hurt if you change your mind? What I’ve done for the Porsche 992 GT car as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

of2worlds likes this.
  4. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    One relates to HELE, assuming it's installed, I want confirmation I can disable it, I have zero interest in owning any model that forces it on me. The other question is administrative, I would like confirmation that a Spider version will be released at some point.

Jim

Principissimo likes this.
  5. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    hate to be the bearer of bad news, but at least for me when I ordered my 19 488 it was no-discussion the GM said it had to be added to my build and all incoming models for the US. My understanding is every time you turn the car on you have to turn it off but I could be wrong

6. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Thanks, I read something like that as well. If it's something that requires accessing the menu system each time I start the car, I'll just keep my 2018 488 Spider. Maybe I'm missing something here, and if I am, feel free to correct my thinking, but if I understand this correctly, if you can't disable the HELE, you pull up to a traffic light surrounded by the engine sound, that suddenly goes silent, then returns when you press the gas pedal (or one of the other triggers). If that's accurate, there is one benefit (in addition to the environmental benefit), my cars will hit the resale market with much lower mileage.

They must have taken the technology from my gas golf cart.....which makes perfect sense considering the two are so closely related.:rolleyes:

(Yes, I know HELE has been around for many years, just haven't had to deal with it.)

Jim

7. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    honestly I had the same thoughts and at least in my experience with my 911s which also have it, it's really a non-issue. As you allude to, if the command to turn it off was hidden deep in the menu system that would be terrible. My understanding is like Porsche Ferrari put the on/off button in the headliner light area with the other buttons, and once it's off you won't touch the button again until you turn the ignition off and then start the car again

JimPVB likes this.
  8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Does this mean HELE cars have better batteries, charging systems to cope with the potentially extremely frequent start/stops in heavy traffic?
    The reason I ask is their electrical systems barely function at minimum expectations prior to HELE.

Also...if in RACE mode shouldn't something like HELE be automatically deactivated?

DefunctNeurons and sampelligrino like this.
  9. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Okay, if that's the case, that would be acceptable. I'm fine pushing a button, but would rather not have to play with digging through menu system. I'm waiting for my dealer (they're excellent) to get back to me on this question. Thanks for posting.

Jim

of2worlds and sampelligrino like this.
  10. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    On 488 you can disable HELE for good. Can't tell if on F8 will be the same.
    I've been told Spider will be presented later this year. ;)

of2worlds and JimPVB like this.
  11. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    In italy it is not like that. Mine is Hele. The car remember the setting of start and stop you use and will keep it ;)

of2worlds likes this.
  12. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    ^^^ like a woman... if it’s a maybe it’s a no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ash Patel and RayJohns like this.
  13. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Sounds good, thank you!

Jim

14. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I agree also that you should have a strong attraction if you really wanted the car. I had been lusting for a Ferrari for many years and got my first one last January. A 2015 Spider with 1600 miles. I watched every YouTube video on the 458 and could not wait until it arrived. Then I did the same thing with the 812SF and ended up ordering one in November 2018. My desire for the 812 has sort of waned and I feel as if I should not be spending $430,000 or a second Ferrari. I think that will change once it's built and delivered. The 488 and new F8 do not move the needle for me. I 'm not a fan of turbo engines and the sound even if they are "faster". Soon I will have two of the most awesome N/A cars ever made! Did I mention that I LOVE my 458??

15. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Has anybody heard when the USA will have cars to view?

16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    As far as the battery, you have to look at the Tier suppliers as Ferrari doesn't make batteries. Currently, much has been posted about AGM batteries as replacement to OEM and all of them are listed as HELE and the strongest available in the industry for existing models with HELE. They surpass what Ferrari has been using as default in many parameters. So, unless they go to non-AGM, the battery can be no better than what's out here commercially and very probably worse. IMO there is absolutely no positive to HELE especially from an electrical system reliability standpoint which is already Ferrari's biggest weakness followed by warrantee and paint issues.

italiafan likes this.
  17. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Have you driven the 812 yet? If you like the 458, you are gonna love the 812

Ray

18. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    No I have not driven one. I want mine to be the first one I drive!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

of2worlds and Melvok like this.
  19. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I've been thinking about ordering one. I test drove one a few months ago and was very impressed. Very nice car and despite being relatively large, when you are behind the wheel, you feel very connected to it. Almost like riding a motorcycle in a way. Sound is good. The car very much wants to do and has tremendous power. If someone said I could have either a free 458 Italia or a free 812 Superfast - as much as I love the 458 - I might take them up on the 812 Superfast. That's what a great impression even a short test drive left me with. When I drove it up and down the highway, I remember telling my friend from the dealership, "now we are talking!"

:)

If you've read any of my other posts, you know I'm a big fan of the 458, but didn't really care much for my 488 GTB. So for the 812 Superfast to leave such a lasting impression... I think that speaks volumes about what a wonderful car is it.

Ray

of2worlds likes this.
  20. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Because of the reasons I explained above I'm considering a 812 or a GTC4 Lusso. 12 cylinders can be the correct choice.

21. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #46 Lukeylikey, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Now see, I really don’t like that and think it is very lazy design. Aston was the clear star of Geneva this year in design terms but for a very expensive hypercar concept that interior could be a BMW. It has a very wide and unsporting central bridge/console, quite boring door cards, two LCD binnacle screens (zzzzzz) a very boring passenger-side dash with a vent that looks like it did come off a BMW and an extremely ugly steering wheel. I’m actually struggling to find something I like about this.

The 003’s interior below is a much better effort. It is minimalist and takes the race-derived thing much further than I’ve seen before. The shapes are simple, different, original and interesting and I have never seen a steering wheel like that before (though it is still a bit ugly but since there are basically no other controls I can forgive that partially). And I have to say I have been no fan of Marek Reichman up to this point at all.

Attached Files:

22. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    I found that the longer I wait, the less interested I am with the F8. A year from now, when deliveries finally happen, that car will look increasingly dated and knowing myself, a sense of buyer's remorse would set in parting with $330,000 in Spring of 2020...especially with other new, "fresh" designs from other marques on the horizon or available.

Quite frankly, the prospect of the latest Porsche 991 GT car has peeked my interest.

Melvok likes this.
  23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    :) 3rs, 2rs, - both tough acts to beat and, utterly sensational to drive!! Hard to go wrong with either of those if F8 isn't hitting the spot! But there are uncertainties at the moment with the F8 with regard to how long production will run and, how the new release models will affect the status, cred, future values and overall desirability.

of2worlds and Ash Patel like this.
  24. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    what would be a further concern is if you spec the lightweight battery option then how would it cope?

25. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Actually I misspoke. I meant the latest upcoming 992 GT car has peeked my interest (vs. 991...as I already have a 991.2 GT3 Manual)