F12 Berlinetta starting problem | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F12 Berlinetta starting problem

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by F12_CDR5, Sep 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferro458

Ferro458 Karting

May 26, 2014
    The OP's car is a 2013, how do we know that Ferrari didn't change the harness in later cars? Did I miss something?

2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    You don't. Only the last cable was after all production but the second cable was likely for a MY 2017 which was replaced again recently. Note: I have a 2013 and never experienced a heat related starting condition and my battery was at least 5-6 years old when I changed it. Hard to draw conclusions without a bigger sample.

3. Alexfor8

Alexfor8 Rookie

Aug 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    ALEXANDER FOREST
    I have a '16 and experience this issue.

Alesnik-MD likes this.
  4. Uniquexme

Uniquexme Rookie

Apr 3, 2019
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    Desmond Tay
    My 2013 F12 is having this exact problem for the past months, reluctant to start up after stopping for a while, radio sometimes not functioning, electrical error code, tpms error but I drove her a while and all gone until last week she finally died at parking spot in a shopping mall.

She just sits there quietly not willing to crank up the starter motor no matter what we do. We run through checks on starter fuse, battery voltage and did jump start but she remain asleep. Rear trunk doesn’t want to open up so have to manual override the pull switch on the left rear windscreen, free up the gear to N with the socket wrench. Try restarting but key got stuck and keep repeating the socket wrench process until tow truck come and physically push the car further out in order for tow truck to reach her.

She is on her 2nd new battery under my hands and now technician is saying she needs a new starter motor, cable, relay.

By the way may I ask if the previous malaysia owner managed to solve his F12 problem already? How do we know that the starter motor harness is of the latest thicker version?

5. F12_CDR5

F12_CDR5 Rookie

Feb 28, 2016
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    S Siva
    Guys,

Thought I'd just pitch in. I was told in respect to harness that it was modified from 2015 onwards as there were quite a few "lazy start" issues especially from the Asia/China regions. Probably the heat. I did look at both harnesses and did see a distinctly thicker one with the new. Well the truth of the pudding's in the eating and I must say it tastes really wonderful. Not a hint of any of the related issues and as I'm a bit of a sicko, have tried her under the various conditions leading to the problems. I'm happy to report that after 2 months of this, no recurrence of the issue. Let's hope it stays that way.

The other part that needed replacing was the fuel nozzle from the edge of the fuel tank. It is about 7 or 8 inches long. I did notice a mild fuel smell particularly from my side (RH drive). When the tech guy checked it, there was a very mild crack on the nozzle. This part was also revised and a new part immediately solved the problem. Again, I'm guessing it was due to the heat.

I hope the above provides some help to all F12 enthusiasts. After owning her from new for 5 years, it is something that always brings up a smile when I get behind the wheel. I have no intentions of letting her go. She's simply too gorgeous.

6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Kindly disagree with the year the harness was updated. Based on your post history, could not be a MY 2015 part. Your harness was updated two times ago in Oct 2016 which makes that part a MY 2017 replacement part which did not solve the problem. The database for replacement parts would have not have make it possible for your tech to order an older part from Ferrari. The only thing we know for sure is the updated part was ordered and installed in 2019 after all production ceased. Unless I missed something.

7. DrKurt-599

DrKurt-599 Rookie

Nov 11, 2012
    Malaysia
    I have had the same problem with my 2013 F12. After 2 batteries in on year and numerous hot starting problems the dealer finally changed the starter cable and I got the car back last week. So far it seems to have resolved this problem.

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    As I mentioned previously my 2016 F12 has the exact same issue.
    Almost left me stranded yesterday.
    Going back to dealer soon, and will keep you all posted.

9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I thought he mentioned they changed starter and starte cable...is the starter wiring harness different?

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Using the term cable and harness interchangeably here. Cable would be more accurate. Cables are listed in the parts diagram under the "Main Wiring Harnesses" table.

11. DrKurt-599

DrKurt-599 Rookie

Nov 11, 2012
    Malaysia
    I have had the same problem for the past 1 year. Changed battery twice, hot start problem (almost stranded at the highway petrol station twice). What is even more puzzling is that during the days I am not using the car it is connected to the battery conditioner, yet it will not start.
    Starter cable was changed 2 weeks ago, it worked for 2 days, 1 week later (yesterday) the car wouldn't start. Connected the conditioner for 24 hours (battery conditioner indicated full battery), yet the car wouldn't start. Utterly frustrating! Dealer is collecting the car tomorrow, will keep you posted.

12. FRR12

FRR12 Rookie

Dec 10, 2019
    Any of you guys know the revised part number for the starter cable? i need to purchase it too.

13. Garrett7878

Garrett7878 Rookie

Mar 28, 2019
    did you manage to get the part number?

14. F12_CDR5

F12_CDR5 Rookie

Feb 28, 2016
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    S Siva
    Hi,
    I don’t have the part number but your Ferrari technical guys should be able to sort it. I had mine replaced under warranty by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. GTEE3

GTEE3 Rookie

Dec 1, 2019
    Champaign, IL
    Full Name:
    Chia-Hao Lin
    I feel like I should chime in since I've experienced the same issue. I have a 2014 currently with 25k miles. In March this year I started noticing this warm start issue mentioned above (lazy cranking, electrical failure warning, AC/Radio not working). In May the car just died (can't be jump started) and the dealer replaced the starter motor (broken, they told me it can be due to age), starter relay (they replaced this in order to do further diagnosis), and ground strap (they said the ground strap was corroded). Unfortunately the issue came back about a month later, although the car hasn't die one me yet.

16. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    I had the same problem on a 2014 F12 . I sold it . If starter motor is running well when engine is cold even if oil density is higher it means starter motor is good . It has to do with power supply to it . It can depend on wiring or battery . I changed battery twice but no results .

17. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    my 2016 F12 with 11k miles just started having this lazy restart issue. it has gotten cooler here around 75F. morning start is perfect but after lunch or gas filling or grocery shopping it cranks VERY slowly. it still turns on but it almost seems like it won't. no error messages on dash.

after reading this thread it could be:
    1- needs new battery
    2- needs new starter motor and/or wiring harness

however the people that have had these replaced claim the issue reoccurs after a few years?

18. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    I changed battery twice but still problem not sorted . The starter morir was working perfectly with cold engine when it needs more power . That means starter motor is ok . If when you stop with warm engine you open engine opening and you wait 5-10 minutes , the starter motor is back to work properly again . I think it is more a wiring harness issue or a contact issue .

colonels likes this.
  19. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    battery possibly?
    or corrosion around battery terminals.

20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I would do this order:

1. Inspect all connections including ground straps and correct, as required
    2. Test battery and replace, as indicated
    3. Heat starter and starter solenoid with heat gun and check for inducing the slow start condition - replace starter, if positive
    4. Replace harness with updated part
    5. Replace starter and solenoid

I''m sure the new hybrids and then the full electrics will never have any of these issues. :rolleyes:

2006m5 and colonels like this.
  21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Is it possible that a hot starter motor has a tendency to bind up if tolerances too close for some components?

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    But why only when hot?

23. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    corrosion doesn’t matter hot or cold.....but it would visible...but solid state made great points above^^^^
    If u are diy kind of person this shouldn’t be a hard fix....just need to waste time on troubleshooting.
    also make sure all connections are tight....check battery first and then go backwards on all cabling...i hope this makes sense.

24. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    I put it on battery tender overnight and next morning it indicated full battery I haven't had issues with lazy starts yet. Maybe it was just a low battery will keep you updated.

25. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    good thinking..^^^