Starting question | FerrariChat

Starting question

Discussion in '308/328' started by syata, Apr 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I have a 1988 328. I wanted to find out what the proper starting process is on a 328.
    Do you turn the ignition key to the first position and wait until the red indicator light and buzzer of off or do you turn through the first key position to ignition and release the ignition key once the car started?
    Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Correction...1986 328.
    The owners manual I have does not mention the buzzer and lights.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I start it like every other car I've ever owned. Turn the key on, full to the right, crank the engine and drive away...

Martin308GTB likes this.
  4. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I do not believe, that a 328 needs any special starting ritual. As opposed to a carbed Euro car, where it's recommended- especially after a longer resting period- to let the fuel pump run for a a while on key's 1st position, till it alters its sound, what shows, that the float chambers are filled :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

5. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I kind of pause for a brief moment in the On position, before fully turning the key to Start, not because I have to, but to ensure I admire the beautiful displays before heading off.

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  6. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    A cold start just turn the key without using the throttle. When engine is running the ABS light burns for few seconds to do a system check. The right red light for the dynamo burn until making few more revs. Make sure the oil pressure is o.k. and you can go. Hot start is the same but requires some assistance from th throttle.

waymar likes this.
  7. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    On K-Jet the fuel pump does not run until engine cranks and the incoming air moves the metering plate so waiting in the first position does nothing.

8. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    bertrand328 likes this.
  9. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    I have the same feeling with 3x8 that have extreme low milages. The seals and packings need all replaced and even revving on the starter with some oil on top of 8 pistons must result in damge all over.

10. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    When its cold I tend to wait for the ABS pump thing to stop making a racket before I crank it. I can't recall if that's what I was told to do 20 odd years ago when I bought the thing , but its what I've always done!