488 - HELE | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 HELE

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RichV12, Mar 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    You missed my point. The intent of the law is not for exotic cars with such small numbers in commute everyday. But maintaining the law with exceptions that are loosely defined and will always be in question what is an exotic and what is not, is impractical. If you question the impact on pollution if implemented as a general law for all cars, that is a different discussion, perhaps for another thread.

2. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida

Thanks for posting. It is not on my 2018 488 Spider (the owner's manual still shows it as an option, which I did not order), and my dealer "thinks" it can still be turned off on the F8, but he indicated he would check to be sure. Have not heard back yet. Unless I'm missing something, this would really take away from the driving experience for me. I will likely keep my 488 if that's the case. I may still get the F8, but I'll likely continue my 488 Spider as my DD.

Jim

of2worlds likes this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I did miss your point and see it now. You can also tell by my response that I do not question the impact on pollution if implemented as a general law for all cars. I want to see this implemented for the mass of cars since they are not enthusiasts and hate driving anyway. Maybe just saying anything over 700 naturally aspirated HP with less than 2K miles a year are exempt given we could care less about fuel efficiency and don't contribute anything measurable to global pollution. The rest can drive their electric shavers or autonomous ride shares while they stay connected to social media and save the planet.

sampelligrino likes this.
  4. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    You should become a politician ;) (no offense intended!)

sampelligrino and Solid State like this.
  5. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I can find no such law, I do not believe there is such a law (details below) I think your references either have no way to accomplish the request because no factory provided mechanism exists or someone told them not to do it.

As for no such law, this from October 2018:

- Overview of the CAFE Model Technology Potential Pathway

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/ld_cafe_co2_nhtsa_2127-al76_epa_pria_181016.pdf

from page 368:

6.3.9.1 Start-Stop systems (12VSS) and cost estimates by vehicle class and vehicle size
    [12VSS = 12Volt Start Stop]

The start-stop technology, also known as a micro-hybrid system, is the most basic hybrid system that facilitates idle start-stop capability. In this system, the integrated starter generator is coupled to the internal combustion (IC) engine. With this system, when the vehicle comes to an idle-stop the IC engine completely shuts off, and with the help of 12-volt battery, the engine cranks and starts again in response to throttle to move the vehicle. This technology is beneficial to reduce fuel consumption and emissions when the vehicle frequently stops such as in city driving conditions or in stop and go traffic. This technology can be applied to all classes of vehicles. The 12-volt battery used for the start-stop system is an improved unit capable of higher power, increased life cycle, and capable of minimizing voltage drop on restart. Micro-hybrid systems may continue to use lead-acid batteries with capability to prevent steep discharge. The regular lead acid battery is traditionally used for starting, lighting and ignition. Deeply discharging the traditional batteries may greatly shorten its life span. The technology costs for 12VSS do include any incremental battery costs. For only this specific electrification technology, this analysis developed the battery cost estimate and as ANL did not provide costs for this battery configuration.

Because this is simply part of an analysis of potential regulatory ideas, there is no such law...not yet at least

JimPVB likes this.
  6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I understand for EU (and Switzerland as well, which is not in the EU).
    2020 or 2021.

Marcel Massini

7. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I was so happy of the way HELE works on 488 :(

8. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    So...it sounds like it is not yet required in US, but obviously Ferrari could decide it's easier design and build ALL models to meet EU requirement, and based on some comments here in the forum, that sounds like the plan.

I gave this more thought after my last post last night and decided if it is in the F8, and cannot be turned off, I will cancel my order until I have an opportunity to learn more about how it affects driving (basically want to test drive the car, or perhaps wait for an owner to post), not worried about the delay. I recently drove a friends car (not a Ferrari) that has it installed, and it was very noticeable and distracting. I could never get comfortable with that in a Ferrari. I'll keep my 488.

Jim

9. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Thanks!

10. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    I have a December 2015 U.K. F12 with HELE and once switched off, it never comes on unless you change it. Even when coming back to the car. My October 2018 U.K. 488 Spider however is different. I have to switch HELE off each time. It’s annoying.

11. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    This is my understanding too. At least for right now, it can be turned off and kept off until the car is parked/turned off correct?

Again, in my Porsche I don't mind on start up just hitting the button once and that's the last time I touch it until I park, turn car off, then come back to car start it up and drive off again (then I need to hit the button again)

If it becomes a feature that cannot ever be disabled, as in you are forced to stop at a light and have the engine shut off then come back on when you let off the brake no matter what, that would be a big buzz kill and I am praying that is not the case on my 19 488

12. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Everyone get ready for not even being able to turn it off.
    Same thing with the particle filter!
    Sound will even be crappier in a turbo car (it makes an NA much worse now imagine in a turbo).
    Check this video about it:

Now to the crappy sound, add weight and complexity that can be a PITA if you track or push your car a lot...
    RIP ice engine. You will be missed...

13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    tekaefixe likes this.
  14. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    It is going to become a feature that cannot ever be disabled. That will soon be the law in EU, and likely same will be rolled out to new cars produced for ROW.

Yes, MAJOR buzzkill. As will be the sound after GPF's are installed in exhaust systems of all new cars. Most people don't know yet what is on the horizon but it's all really bad stuff for Ferraris.

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I predict that one day there will be a little "black box" that you can buy and it may open or close HELE :)

JimPVB likes this.
  16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Already now illegal in the country I live.

Marcel Massini

17. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    My dealer just indicated "the word is" the US models (F8) will have HELE, but will also have the On/Off button. He also said this has not been confirmed (by the factory I assume), but they will update when confirmed.

Jim

of2worlds and sampelligrino like this.
  18. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I would assume so too. My Lusso has the mandatory HELE option despite me specifically not wanting it.

19. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
  20. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    I guess the days of changing models every couple/few years will soon be over for me. I'll be keeping the models that don't force HELE, I for one could never accept the engine shutting down in stop/go traffic, or traffic lights, just not acceptable in high performance cars, IMO. Sad really.....

Jim

21. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Same here.

Marcel Massini

JimPVB likes this.
  22. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    If HELE becomes mandatory and cannot be disabled and GPF becomes mandatory, I have no incentive to trade up to new sports cars.

sampelligrino and JimPVB like this.
  23. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I think a lot of us feel exactly the same.

sampelligrino likes this.
  24. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    My wife and my bank account will be happy, me not so much:(

25. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Does your dealer have any idea about the introduction of the GPF on FNA delivered F8 cars? :eek: