F8 - What to expect with first Ferrari purchase (Coming from current Mclaren owner) | FerrariChat

F8 What to expect with first Ferrari purchase (Coming from current Mclaren owner)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 06viper, Apr 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 06viper

06viper Rookie

Mar 31, 2019
    NM-AZ
    Hi guys, so ever since I saw the release of the F8 a couple weeks back, I decided I have to get one. Everything about it seems awesome! The problem is, I have never owned a Ferrari before. Ive had my fair share of experience with other brands from Lambo to Maserati and current toys are a Mclaren 570s and Factory Five Cobra. So I have some questions that hopefully current Ferrari owners could help with.

1. I am located in Albuquerque, NM, but is there a dealer here in the US that generally has the best reputation working with?
    2. Since I have never owned a Ferrari before, will they allow me to order a new F8 being a new customer? When I purchased my Mclaren, it was brand new and I had no problems with not being a previous customer with them.
    3. Options on a car are obviously up to each person, but is there "must have" options that I should consider?
    4. Anything at all I need to know in becoming a new Ferrari owner?

Thank you guys!

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

09Scuderia and arizonaitalian like this.
  3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    2. The overwhelming consensus on new customers to Ferrari for a V8 or V12 is that, yes, you can order one, but no, you will not get it any time soon unless the demand is really bad. People are saying deliveries start in q1 2020, so if you're a new owner, maybe don't count on getting it for at least 12-18 months.

If you aren't picky about specs, I think you'd be better off just buying a used one once they show up. You'll get it a lot quicker. Before you "order", ask yourself if you're sure you'll still want it 1.5-2 years from now.

4. 06viper

06viper Rookie

Mar 31, 2019
    NM-AZ
    Ive heard from a couple different people that "red" is the best resale color on them? How true is that? Obviously things like miles and condition are the main factors, but say 3 years from now I want to sell an F8 and I have a blue one and a red one with identical miles and identical options. Would the red one bring more money? Or is this totally not true?

5. DingDIng

DingDIng Rookie

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston tx
    Yes, I believe that is true

6. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Regarding color, we call it "resale Red" for a reason, it's just easier to find a buyer for a Red Ferrari than most other colors. This is likely because people identify Red with Ferrari, it's been like that from the beginning. Most of the public's exposure to Ferrari has traditionally been "Red," TV shows (Magnum, including newest run), F1 racing, historical photos, etc.. That said, color is obviously personal, some buyers might think they want Red, but seeing other colors at a dealership could change their minds. My Ferrari's are Red, but I've seen some incredible looking Black, White, Blue, and Silver variation Ferrari's as well.

I didn't buy my Ferrari's thinking about resale, and personally I never will, but clearly that is a factor for some owners. I chose Red because when I was an 8yo very poor child, living in an apartment building in New York, I would look out my 6th floor window playing a game with my Brother, I would get every 5th car passing by, he would every 10th car. During one of those games I hit on a Red Ferrari and silently promised myself I would own one someday, so my color selection was imprinted in my brain at a very young age. My advice, buy what YOU like to look at, and don't worry about resale.

Jim

alibo70, Melvok, tekaefixe and 3 others like this.
  7. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Buy the color you like. Not what the next buyer may like. You will lose money on every color - blue, red, black, yellow. When its time to buy your F8- you will be told how great the car is, how difficult the allocation is, how in demand the car is. And when you go to trade in, you will be told how soft the market is.

Without fail- happens every single time.

FordGTDriver, obbob, MANDALAY and 9 others like this.
  8. PJxxx

PJxxx Karting

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    PJ Cusano
    Truer words were never written

SoCal to az likes this.
  9. TomatoMan

TomatoMan Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    Isn't that the truth........

10. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

He speaks the truth.

SoCal to az likes this.
  11. Hendry2019

Hendry2019 Karting

Jan 2, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Hendry
    Imagine going down to your garage, which Ferrari color would you picture in your mind that brings smile to your face? Which color would you love to see everytime you come back to home?!

Imagination is your answer. Because everyone has his own opinion.

Selling Red Ferrari is easier, but the value depends on other factors as well such as miles, specs .etc.

For me, it was pretty easy choice, I picked my 488 Spider with Red color and never looked back :)

Trust me, Just use your imagination ;)

12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Mine had to be red ( first Ferrari and always was my dream colour)

but instead of the Rosso Corsa I went with Rosso Corsa Metallic.

To me makes the RC even better as its shinier with no flat spots ( This was a big thing for me as all solid colours have flat spots at different angles when viewed )

Cigarzman likes this.
  13. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

It was my understanding they only made black cars so get a black one like mine. Who knew they made red ? Best ,Kirk. :)

williams1, SoCal to az and Melvok like this.
  14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Good luck, please keep us informed about the buying of your F8 !

15. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Since you are not beholden to any one dealer due to your location, in order to get a car asap, call many dealers and see what they say about "when" you can get the car. It will vary from dealer to dealer.