non-locking front bonnet on 86TR | FerrariChat

non-locking front bonnet on 86TR

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Rene, Feb 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    Recently I have been unable to get the front bonnet to lock when closed. There is a 'click' on the locking mechanism on either side of the bonnet when I make a firm effort to close it, but a fraction of a second later the lock 'springs' and releases again.

I have looked at the mechansim and note that the locking hook is raised correctly, but the piece of metal which should descend to hold the lock in place seems to be jammed or immovable -on both sides.

Is my description accurate enought to explain the problem ? Perhaps someone else has experienced this too.

2. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Make sure the release cable isn't binding, keeping the latches from clasping. I know on my engine cover, if I don't physically pull the catch lever back prior to closing the cover, it will not lock down securely. Good Luck and keep us informed.

3. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Haven't looked closely at the front latch assemblies yet, but I did have a similar situation on the rear decklid. Latching the lid required applied pressure on both sides; however, after securing one side and applying pressure on the other side, the first side would unlatch.

After playing with the mechanisms and observing the situation, it became apparent that the latches themselves had to be adjusted for height (up and down). I spent about an hour loosening, adjusting, securing and testing the operation of each receiving latch on both sides as a "system" until I finally achieved the correct adjustment. Now, when I drop the deck lid from about 2 inches, it securely latches -- and no more door adjar indicator light :)

Sorry to not be of too much help here, but hopefully my experience can help shed some light on your situation...

Of course, this is assuming that your release cable is not binding, etc.

4. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    Thanks, Carguy and Eric308, I checked the cables and they were binding. They had been tightened during servicing. I sprayed a bit of light oil and they seem to work much better

5. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Glad to hear it was an easy fix for you Rene!