Fascinating insights on the F1 Transmission from a Ferrari Technician | FerrariChat

Fascinating insights on the F1 Transmission from a Ferrari Technician

Discussion in '360/430' started by Normal Guy Supercar, Apr 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    I recently had a friend who is a Ferrari Technician over and he checked up on my F1 transmission. This may not be new information to some of you, but I had never seen the level of detail the computer has on the transmission. It's pretty cool to see how our cars work from the software integration with the hardware side.

Oh, and the really cool part is my trans has a great bill of health, and the clutch is was less worn than expected.

Enjoy!

wiley355, becir1, blkdiablo33 and 5 others like this.
  2. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I need to come see your "guy"

3. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Haha... I know right? I'm thinking of partnering with him to start a new series of videos. Let me know if you'd like that and perhaps what questions would be cool to have him talk about.

4. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    What's the diagnostic software/hardware that he's using?

5. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    You took the words right out of my mouth....
    Dan: Thanks for sharing this ....he connected the dots that much closer for me..
    Is your gearbox shifting smoother when cold.?
    I can see he is utilizing a wireless connection it would be great insight on the diagnostic hardware.
    Thank You.
    K//

6. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Hey Dan saw the video before the post..... I would love to know the differences between the manual and F1 clutch and how installing them is different....what parts would be the same, which ones would be only specific to the F1...etc I.e. with a manual, would there be any need for it to re-calibrate?..... I assume no.... would it still be necessary to hook up the computer? Are there aftermarket parts that would be better suited to one vs the other.

Thanks, love the channel btw.

7. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    #7 eric355, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    That's a TEXA Navigator with IDC5 software.
    I own the same.

8. Buzios

Buzios Karting

Aug 5, 2018
    Cool vid. Can you ask him to comment on how the different drive modes affect the clutch and gearbox?

He also seems to have quite a bit to say on the pump. Can you ask about the Scud Ing Swiss F1 relay? Maybe he can even talk about what he hears before and after that’s installed?

Seriously good stuff - thanks for sharing!

9. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

so he said "and it shows on the indicator................neutral to first, neutral to second ................ " , Question is, why the indicator doesn't show "N" when the actuator finger is at neutral position?

10. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Assuming Josh and I can figure out some way to make this a regular thing, I'll have him read these and hopefully start making some new series for y'all. Seems like there's definitely a need and certainly people want to know what's in his brain. LOL!

11. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Of note, it is his actual job to do this stuff, so I don't want to take money away from his occupation. We'll have to find a way to walk the line without crossing over.

12. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    Can he do diagnostic remotely?

13. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Not without a second computer to ship to someone.

14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Here is two thoughts

Some how helps others/ shares info knowledge will probably get more business .... Many shops do that here

Since some of us have some type of diagnosis tools that can provide the numbers / stats similar to the texa maybe your friend can charge a small fee to do an analysis and guide those that need help understanding the numbers from their specific cars

Look at scanner Dan videos to get some other ideas ..but of course on Ferrari and Maserati

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

15. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I don't know if your question was clear to him about the F1 pump or that if you are clear on what an upgraded pump does.
    An upgrade F1 pump like Juri's does not increase pressure. It a bigger motor with less chance to failure due to it's relay, fatigue or age. It doesn't apply any more pressure than what the stock pump provides. Most of the issues were with the 360 and it's relay.
    By his opinion .....it looks you should keep a close eye on yours.

Thanks for posting the vid.

16. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    I wouldn't say I need to pay "close" attention, but it's noted in my mind that it will need to probably be replaced at some point in the next few years. Either way, that'll be fun to do. :)

17. realflight

realflight Rookie

Feb 8, 2019
    Wow it's the Normal Guy Supercar Dan. I came to know about F430 through your videos from 2 years ago and I finally pulled the trigger on my 05 F430 this February. I watched this video as soon as it was uploaded:) Just saying hi as a huge fan from Los Angeles.

John_K_348, vinny84 and billy.gif like this.
  18. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Hah thank you! Always happy to hear stories of people buying Ferraris after watching my channel. I must say, that was never my intention but it's a really cool side-effect. :D I trust your new steed is a complete joy?

19. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    Watching your videos gave me the confidence to do some of the small repairs on my 430 instead of taking it to a mechanic. Thumbs up to you, my friend.

20. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Now that WAS one of the missions I wanted to achieve. :) That's fantastic to hear. They really are pretty simple cars. The more I work on it, the more I realize how simple and how well engineered these cars are. Especially compared to other modern crap-boxes.

21. Bigilo

Bigilo Karting

Sep 28, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I really do appreciate videos like these. Thank you dhurlbert for posting this, I wish there were more technical videos online for our cars. One of the pleasures of ownership is wrenching on the car and the sense of accomplishment when done right!

22. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Thank you and totally agree! Wrenching on these cars is fun and rewarding, not to mention you can save a boatload of money

23. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Very nice, thanks! I don't work on my 360 myself, but I try to understand what my mechanic is doing. He sent me screen shots of the computer analysis of my transmission from my last annual service, and much of it didn't make too much sense to me. This video helped me understand the data.

Thanks again!

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    One thing I will mention that I did not see in the video. He did not have the car hooked up to a charger. If during the testing of the car, self learn etc, the battery goes flat, you can seriously damage the TCU. Any time you have a diagnostic device hooked up to any car, you must maintain battery voltage, or bad things can happen.

Another point. The self learn of the TCU can only be run a minimal amount of times. In some cases, the ECU will shut down, and not recover during the process. I learned this the hard way after receiving a car from another shop, who installed shift pots incorrectly, and kept trying to relearn. I found the issue, but on final relearn, the ECU crapped out.

2NA likes this.
  25. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    The car was plugged in to my trickle charger.

becir1 likes this.