Rosso portofino delay again | FerrariChat

Rosso portofino delay again

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by luckyguy, Apr 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luckyguy

luckyguy Karting

Nov 18, 2016
    venice italy
    My rosso portofino delay again...now is 2020, when ordered was within June 2019.

So I think will change color.

Giallo modena vs rosso corsa.
    What do u think guys?

Actually a gtc4 black on garage, and surely in future a red f8 or what can arrive later to substitute the amazing 488.

Thks

Inviato dal mio LYA-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

2. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Ferrari is discovering the perils of offering candy paint as a factory option.

There is a reason manufacturers don't usually do this and that custom paint shops exist.

Steve Bear likes this.
  3. bob_Uk

bob_Uk Karting

Oct 13, 2016
    I have to say in the sunshine today the colour looks stunning. This week is the first time I have seen it outside - before it was always inside at the launch, Geneva or the showroom.

Golden Steed likes this.
  4. luckyguy

luckyguy Karting

Nov 18, 2016
    venice italy
    Will move to rosso scuderia or corsa and will see the car before Xmas.

Rosso portofino they have not idea when can be...

So I give up.

5. Raghu

Raghu Rookie

Nov 12, 2017
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Full Name:
    Raghu
    Do they know what the actual cause is for the delay as they were able to paint several cars in RP?

6. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Having followed this issue closely over the last year and half (!) and now having received my car in RP about a week ago, my thoughts as follows:
    - the cause of the issue was that Ferrari changed the paint provider and moved to a different ‘low heat’ bake technology. Unfamiliarity with this, coupled with significant demand for RP colour, led to significant delays
    - the issue is now resolved and they made a batch of RP cars in spring 2019
    - there is likely still a large backlog of RP cars but some people have switched to other colours which should reduce the queue
    - the colour looks amazing in person. I’m glad I waited.
    - I guess it depends how quickly you want/need the car... if you can stomach the delay (and the uncertainty / lack of reliable estimate of delivery date... which for me was worse than simply the delay), then I’d say wait... you won’t regret it
    - finally, given the issues with getting this colour, and the amount of people that switched to a different colour, I’d say it would be in high demand if/when you come to resell the car...

Good luck with your choices!

tommygun64 and Raghu like this.
  7. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    FWIW, I ordered in August of last year, switched from Rosso Portofino to Rosso Fiorano in February. Hit stage 30 a few weeks back (paint), just moved to stage 40 last week. Hopefully the worst of the wait is now over. I'm glad I switched, but RF was one of my original favorite choices, so I don't really feel like I'm settling for something I don't want.

of2worlds likes this.
  8. luckyguy

luckyguy Karting

Nov 18, 2016
    venice italy
    I move to rosso corsa yesterday, lets see delivery time now.

Btw I bought rosso portofino on picture idea, never saw one or any pcs of metal...till last week I went to museo ferrari and there was a portofino rosso portofino.
    Amazing color but... It make the car classic IMHO.

When I saw it I told myself this color is amazing i will wait for it!

Them I went out and in front of Museum there is the renting ferrari shop.

There.. A portofino rosso corsa is on the window!

What to say in 40yrs old and I loved her, more sporty looking , seems almost another car.

So finally I moved to rosso corsa and I'm a bit sad now as I was waiting a color ( surely amazing ) buy that I didn't like too much.

This is my story, for those that have the same doubt and that will pass to Museum ferrari have a look at both color and make your choice

Cheers

tommygun64, of2worlds and tomc like this.
  9. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    I was at my dealer two days ago and was talking to them around RP and they still are saying they would not order it based on the absolutely zero confidence they have around a delivery date or confidence that there’s no more issues to come on it.
    I have Grigio Silverstone and love it but did want originally RP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

of2worlds likes this.
  10. Gcsdave

Gcsdave Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2011
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Guess I have been one of the lucky ones. It really is a stunning colour and worth the wait.

View attachment 2873559

Attached Files:

Golden Steed likes this.
  11. luckyguy

luckyguy Karting

Nov 18, 2016
    venice italy
    Surely dave rosso portofino is amazing, just my feeling is 40yrs or under not necessary ...50 and above perfect color.
    Is really a classy color , one of best ever seen compliments for your supercar

12. Gcsdave

Gcsdave Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2011
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dave
    More the car type. My 488 is rosso corsa. Only colour for that car!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

luckyguy likes this.
  13. luckyguy

luckyguy Karting

Nov 18, 2016
    venice italy
    Rosso corsa, October arrival.

of2worlds and Gcsdave like this.
  14. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Interesting! Why would you wait so long for this colour, drive it 200 miles and sell it for a marginal profit?

No way you could properly experience it in 200 miles to think you don’t like it...?!

Gcsdave likes this.
  15. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    May be it is a sacrifice for a Pista allocation!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I switched mine a couple of weeks ago from RP to Rosso mugello and should have the car in June....huge change in timing versus waiting on RP. A little nervous on the color but wife’s car and she has a Rosso Maranello on her FF so she loves the deep red. Saw a California in mugello and it seems to be beautiful on the classic GT lines. Imho...a lot of people that had early allocations spec’d RP so if you are open to change the color you may be able to jump the line a bit. I had an early allocation so I could be wrong here.

17. java49

java49 Rookie

Aug 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Blake
    I was at a dealer today, and they told me Ferrari has stated to them: "Don't take anymore orders for RP."

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Stick with a metallic colour.
    Rosso Corsa and especially Giallo Modena can make thse GT cars look incredibly fat and bloated, due to the fact that they absolutely flattens every line and removes any contour.
    Have a look at Rosso Maranello if you want a real red but also want to retain the shapes and depth. Rosso F1 2007 is another alternative if you don't want metallic, but like a very "wet" and vibrant colour that does not flatten the contours of the car.

19. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    I changed to Rosso Fiorano FWIW. Car was just delivered to the dealer, will pick it up Thursday after it’s wrapped. Looks very different indoors vs. outdoors—very pleased with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not sure why anyone would even pay over sticker for a Porto.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Beautiful. Rosso Fiorano is a great colour for a Porto.

of2worlds and mlcor like this.
  22. Gooey

Gooey Karting

Jul 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gooey
    D
    Did they tell you why?
    Where do you live?

23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If I remember correctly some of these exotic paint jobs are done outside the factory by vendors. I'm guessing limited production and difficulty to do. Customers complain the cars are taking too long. Ferrari would rather just make the sale.

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Zanasi does the out of house paints. Usually the tri layers, custom colours etc.

of2worlds likes this.