348 - Updated gauge trim rings | FerrariChat

348 Updated gauge trim rings

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrarium, Apr 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #1 Ferrarium, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Designed and had machined some new gauge rings. The smaller gauge rings (oil pressure, fuel etc) for the dash and center console will be here in a few days. They are in unfinished 6061 currently but soon to be Nickel plated along with some other interior bits.

The idea was to add a little update without being over bearing and chunky, less is more really. I had 5 different profiles mild to wild and selected one that was not too modern and fit with the vintage look. Essentially flat as possible where I could add a round to the edge. Some profiles were taller and had profile that swept out dramatically etc etc.

I made them as narrow and as thin as possible but they could actually be a wee bit smaller, there is some play on the gauge face where it is SLIGHTLY oversized, we're talking .5mm. Super hard to measure accurately the gauges are actually not round they are slightly egg shaped. I may make another batch.

Here is a picture with one trim ring and one without trim ring on the same cluster. Thoughts?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ghardt likes this.
  2. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    I already have these on my 1995 348 Spider, from Hill Engineering for all the gauges & the center console ones also. They definitely make the car look current compared to stock black plastic.

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #3 Ferrarium, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    You mis-understand the post, these are the hill ones below. Huge, chunky, overbearing, a meat cleaver approach to trim rings. They actually look stuck on.

The ones I had machined above are not Hill I had htem made they are much more svelt, more like a scalpel approach to trim rings.

Hill Engineering rings
    [​IMG]

My updated Trim rings

4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I like it sans rings myself.

ILLA NOIZ, 308 GTB, aballas and 2 others like this.
  5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yeah I'm with you Brian, I like sans rings too. Same with my old E30 M3, no rings.

I wanted to see how smaller rings would be, I'll make an even smaller set and add the small rings and nickel plate and see. If I recall 355 has slight polished trim probably plastic. The thing is I think it needs to be subtle and doing them in nickel may fit nicely.

If not it will be out here for others to see and know instead of wonder "what would smaller rings look like" because that's what I did when I saw the Hill ones.
    I'll update pics with all the rings on before plating and before making a more svelt batch.

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #6 Ferrarium, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Qavion likes this.
  7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm working out a recessed/countersunk billet speaker grill solution also, probably nickel plated trim ring on that too.

8. 002LM

002LM Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    I would love to test these on a 355 and remove the thin factory rings. Any idea if they would fit ?

9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Almost positive the for the 355 at least the binnacle cluster. The 355 are painted on. It does not look crafted. The trick for me is nice metal old school like but not some huge slab stuck on, the select the right finish. Hell maybe chrome. The stupid gauges are not actually round either more like egg shaped slightly. Real pain. Burning through money prototyping these and speaker grills and seat tilt spacers etc, I no longer have a mini CNC but I can do the cad work then send out for small runs. Runs up into 4 digits real quick, damn my brain.

10. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    We have the same problem. lol

sjd

11. 002LM

002LM Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    Sent you a PM for a set of the version 1 prototypes!

12. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Just as Ferrari built it! :)

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    lol to each his own. Ferrari has and does use rings just not on the 348 obviously. Technically you can paint the existing rings too they just lay on the gauge and pop through the cluster plate. take off, rattle can silver like the 355 then back on. I am after metal and I am betting slightly more svelte satin nickle plated rings will be awfully nice, some still wont like it. Hell I amy not and decide to not do it. :) Either way much better than those Hill monstrosities.

I plan on matching door speaker trim rings in satin nickle as opposed to plastic car speaker trim rings that come with speakers that are 1/2 thick. And plastic.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  14. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
  15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Think I have 1 set left. I had more than I thought actually. Responded to pm.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
  17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wow looks good!

When I make more I'll send you some no problem! They will be a bit smaller which will work well there.

Copterjon got some to any updates there also, I know they were powder coated too.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Apologies for not posting these up sooner. Having been given a set of prototypes to try out I played with different finishes but kept going back to a somewhat unfinished aluminum look as I believe would be more what Ferrari would have used if installed originally. These pics don’t really do the product justice, I suck as a photographer. I had Hill rings on my other 348 and must say these are so so much better. They just give the interior a true sports car look.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    ^ those do look great!

20. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There is another set put there too that the guy never posted pics of. 355 if I recall.

22. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    After all of the messing with them I decided I liked the raw look. I sanded them with different grits to get different looks. I even polished one but found it too shiny for my taste. I did paint them but not using the powder coat finish suggested. I like the way they match the shift gate. For me it's a more cohesive look. Thanks again for posting them out to me. I love 'em.

23. Nopanegain

Nopanegain Rookie

Jul 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Hi Ferrarium...I'm a little late to the thread but I just got my 348 and would love to purchase a set of your rings. It says you are a machinist so I am hoping you have the file and can run me a set whenever your machine is free. I remember a 348 from my youth that had the rings and without them something is just missing! Also the Hill Engineering ones are no longer available (and yours are sleeker). Let me know! [email protected]

24. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The hill ones look a bit like checker auto parts bits. I don't have any left I gave them all away. I may do another run as I don't actually have them on my car they weren't quite good enough, I have some changes for them.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric