308 crank sensor | FerrariChat

308 crank sensor

Discussion in '308/328' started by Tonksy1, Apr 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tonksy1

Tonksy1 Karting

Jun 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    #1 Tonksy1, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Hello Ferrari chatters.
    I am currently trying to solve a problem with miss in the engine( 83 308 QV). After replacing leads, extenders and rotors, I'm now looking at replacing the crank sensors.
    My query is that when looking on superformance website for a couple of new ones, it states that the sensor they sell is for engines after #864. My engine number is #0670. Do I require some other kind of sensor?I thought there was only one type. Also can someone confirm all three sensors used are identical.
    Thanks in advance
    Dean (NZ)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    Hi Dean , all 3 sensors are the same. I bought 3 for my 81 2VI . The only thing I had to change was the plug on the end of the cables.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

waymar likes this.
  3. Tonksy1

Tonksy1 Karting

Jun 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    Thanks Richard.
    Have you heard of their being 2 types of sensors? I'm still a bit confused on why they list a crank sensor on superformance website for engines after #864

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    It’s my understanding that the earlier type of sensor are NLA and the later type as pictured were used by the factory from that engine number. If fitting them to an earlier engine you’ll need to modify the sensor to suit

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. Tonksy1

Tonksy1 Karting

Jun 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    That makes sense. Thanks Richard

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  7. Tonksy1

Tonksy1 Karting

Jun 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    Yes that's the connector I have. Shouldn't be a problem to sort a new one.
    Thanks Steve.

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    FrannyB, Tonksy1 and thorn like this.
  9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I successfully replaced one of my crank sensors with the one from Superformance. My QV has a lower engine number than yours. The holes for the mounting studs were too far apart and I had to elongate them into slots to make the sensor fit. The studs do not centralize the sensor (its plastic body does that) so the sensor works just fine.

Regarding the misfire, also check grounds such as to the coils. If the misfire is on one bank only try swaping sparkboxes.

10. Tonksy1

Tonksy1 Karting

Jun 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    Thanks Brian. Good to know.

11. Bobbytinvab

Bobbytinvab Karting

Jan 22, 2010
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Full Name:
    Bob T
    Those "crank sensors" were also used by Ford Cosworths. I googled the part number that was on the side of the sensor, and was able to purchase three for the same price as one that comes in the "Horsey" box. Unfortunately I cannot remember the part number, but I'm pretty sure it was on the part itself. It was a Magnetti Marelli part. I did have to elongate the mounting holes just a bit, but they worked fine. I also regrounded all my connections as Brian indicated ... that was almost ten years ago, and still going strong ... Best of luck.

Tonksy1 likes this.
  12. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I used one of the new ones on my ‘80. Worked fine but had to use a trailer light connector in the end and like others said make the holes a tiny bit bigger.

Tonksy1 likes this.
  13. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I think there are many vehicles that use these sensors. It's been a while since I purchased one. I think it was from a Volkswagen..Much cheaper than the F part.

Tonksy1 likes this.
  14. Baltz1969

Baltz1969 Karting

Apr 24, 2017
    Chula Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    Jose Baltz
    Besides cleaning the coil ground points, also clean the ground points for the the Control Modules

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Tonksy1 likes this.