360 - Compression Test Results | FerrariChat

360 Compression Test Results

Discussion in '360/430' started by vinny84, Apr 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Just got a PPI done on a 360 with compression test.

Everything seems to check out but just want to reassure myself before trying to pull the trigger on this one.

The readings came back as the following:

Cyl 1: 165
    Cyl 2: 165
    Cyl 3: 180
    Cyl 4: 165
    Cyl 5: 185
    Cyl 6: 180
    Cyl 7: 180
    Cyl 8: 180

This was done at a Ferrari dealer and the service tech told me they did a dry test

Any feedback is appreciated!

2. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I had posted a similar question last summer when I was purchasing my car regarding my results. From the feedback that I received, there are many variables that can have an affect on the numbers such as test method, engine temp, etc. Etc. etc. The opinion of those who commented was that consistency between the cylinders was more important than the actual numbers .

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I second everything you just said Mimmo

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

4. Bob H.

Bob H. Rookie

Dec 30, 2018
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bob
    As a general rule of thumb, the numbers should all be within 10% of each other. The actual number will vary by the gauge, temperature, etc. I have two different gauges and they read differently... one has probably been dropped.

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Compression numbers will vary from gauge to gauge. Did they do it with the engine hot? Did they have a battery charger connected to the battery in order to keep the starter cranking consistent. How many revolutions did the technician crank the engine on each cylinder? It looks like they did not know what they were doing, as those are the lowest compression figures that I have ever seen for a 360. Typically they should be around 210 psi. I also inspect the spark plugs for coloration and carbon build-up. Even coloration (light tan) indicates even fuel mixture, carbon build up indicates oil burning. Plug inspection is just as important as the compression test.

If they really did the test correctly with a good gauge, then I would say that the motor is worn out or has problems. My guess is that the test is not valid.

f355spider and Dave rocks like this.
  6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    How many miles on engine ?

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
  8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I was about to ask that question ..do we know if that process was used or a manual plug by plug process

9. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom

My compression results were even lower using a picoscope, in the 145 range however the variation between cylinders was very close.
    Here is the link to the thread where it was discussed before my purchase.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrari-dealer-did-compression-test-numbers-low.582948/

10. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Most important would be the service tech's opinion based on experience.
    Compression test is a reference tool only. Wide variations based on instruments, procedures and test conditions.