Portofino = Best Modern Ferrari (?) | FerrariChat

Portofino = Best Modern Ferrari (?)

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by 09Scuderia, Apr 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    We have owned our Portofino for about a month...here is our report card:

- One of the most beautiful cars ever made. Ever. Most cars look good from certain angles, the Port looks good from every everywhere, all the time. Just stunning.

- Has a savage side if you poke it. We had a Cali and then a Cali T. The Port does have similar attributes to the Cali T + 50% more. I never connected with the Cali or the Cali T. They never made me want to drive them. The Port is a car that can be driven like a proper Ferrari. The Port will oversteer when asked, break the tires lose up to 3rd and yet haul up to 4 (ish) people. Our kid fits easily in the back and she loves it.

- Luxurious GT for any occasion. Set it to comfort and you can just cruise. Top operation is flawless. With the top up you would never know it was a spider.

- Build quality is excellent. No complaints and I am very picky. Having owned/ own many Ferraris I can attest that this Port is exceptional.

Overall, the Portofino exceeds our expectations. On any given day when given the choice between the Port and the Pista (or the others)....Port every time and twice on Sunday.

Thank-You Ferrari for building such an amazing machine. We love it. The Portofino is part of our long term collection.

T&J

Zince, Caeruleus11, crinoid and 12 others like this.
  2. bob_Uk

bob_Uk Karting

Oct 13, 2016
    Only problem so far - not found how to get hot air onto your upper legs with the roof down. 488 Spider works fine. Anyone found the combination of settings?

Oh and at car events people keep asking how I like the Superfast......

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Show the car with the top down, that should deflect that question! :)

Great to read these reports.

T

4. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Yeah the Port will be a major bargain 5 years from now. I test drove one, hard, and man let me tell ya, lol anyone who doesn't take it serious has another thing coming. That thing RIPPED and asked for more! Congrats on it!

Where are the pics?!

LucasFerrari and Golden Steed like this.
  5. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Totally agree with all of your comments. I absolutely love the car, my favorite by far. I had a Huracan before this and a C4S before that. I absolutely, hands down, think this is the best all around sports car out there today. I drive it as my daily...rain or shine, and I can’t get enough.

Thanks for the write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Fully agree with your assessment of the Portofino. In my humble opinion, a much bigger overall quality leap between the Cali T and the Portofino than from the 458 to the 488. Definately worth the upgrade!

Keep enjoying your wonderful Portofino in good health, Tim & Julie. Wish you many miles of happiness behind the wheel!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

7. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Amazing, we ordered, can't wait to get in the fall!

LucasFerrari likes this.
  8. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    I have had mine now for around 6 weeks and totally agree. I have had 911 Cabrio’s various AMg’s an Aston DBS and a 430 Spider and this is by far the most complete package. All of the pluses they are covered above more than compensate for not having that last 5% hardcore edge of a 488 Spider which is exactly how I hoped it would be. The perfect answer is have a Portofino and a 488 Pista for the track days when that itch needs to be scratched. It’s only money ! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    We do have both and....I know I am about to lose 'man points' with what I am about to admit....the Port is the better 'car' 95% of the time.

10. FLU

FLU Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    Flu
    Got a status 70 email confirmation today! Simply cannot wait!

LucasFerrari likes this.
  11. Bradley C

Bradley C Rookie

Jan 6, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Bradley C

I'm so glad that the Portofino is such an awesome car. I went from a 911 S Cab to a California to a Cali T, and would love to trade up to a Portifino in a couple of years if all goes well. I love exotic GT convertibles, and I love trading up. Fast forward a couple of years and I'm there. :)

LucasFerrari and 09Scuderia like this.
  12. LucasFerrari

LucasFerrari Rookie

Mar 21, 2019
    California

13. LucasFerrari

LucasFerrari Rookie

Mar 21, 2019
    California
    So glad you are loving it . I got my Portofino about 2 months ago and I am also really happy with it . I was looking for a convertible ferrari in the $250k to $275k range and for me this was the best choice . Elegant , powerful , Smooth ride ..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

JJ97 and anunakki like this.
  14. LucasFerrari

LucasFerrari Rookie

Mar 21, 2019
    California

15. LucasFerrari

LucasFerrari Rookie

Mar 21, 2019
    California
    I agree with you . I would love a 488 Pista in addition to my Portofino but I just can’t afford it. For track days I kept my porsche GT4 with a manual .. really fun car
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. bmcginn

bmcginn Karting

Dec 11, 2005

So happy to read this review. My wife and I are ordering a new Portofino and couldn’t be more excited. Given your experience with Ferrari’s I’d appreciate you input on what options you chose for your Portofino. Thank you.

LucasFerrari likes this.
  17. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I wouldnt say 'best' but I would say its the best balance of performance and every day use.

18. LucasFerrari

LucasFerrari Rookie

Mar 21, 2019
    California
    I agree . I have owned my Portofino for about 3 months now and I love it . Took a 150 mile drive up the coast from San Diego to Laguna beach . It’s a great balanced GT .. smooth , comfortable, and powerful .. I also really love the looks of it .
    Personally I prefer GT front engine Ferrari’s models for my needs ... and out of the current GT line up(the 812, Lusso ) .. I think the portofino is most beautiful model. Every angle is gorgeous

anunakki likes this.
  19. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Im glad you are enjoying yours. I have to wait for preowned as cant swing new right now. Another 3 years should get me into one. Fantastic car

LucasFerrari likes this.
  20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Will test the Portofino next week-end (to cope with the long wait for the F8) - while the brief of a GT Ferrari is not really thrilling for me, I'm curious to discover it and I suspect it will be pretty good...

21. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    Hello, all good gents!
    I have ordered my first Ferrari its 812 reason I went with that was NA feel vs turbo,I have a question to all Portofino owners who have driven 458 812 or 430 NA machine before,does this turbo v8 have any lag on auto mode when wanting to drive comfortable and suddenly have to accelerate
    for example if you are cruising 35-45 Mph in 5th or 6th gear and you are in auto ,then suddenly u just want to comfortable overtake ,this is the moment i find the lag comes in on turbos cars(on Porsche I experienced this) does it happen on Portofino??
    thank you so much in advance for your help and feedback about this, this is for my consideration for the second car after 812
    thanks again!

22. LucasFerrari

LucasFerrari Rookie

Mar 21, 2019
    California
    Hi Mike

I personally do not feel any turbo lag in manual mode with auto turned off and your shifting your own gears .however in auto mode when cruising on the freeway and then punching there is a tiny bit of lag but not much.

Caeruleus11 and Mike Chawla like this.
  23. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    thank you so much for the honest feedback both about the slight lag in the auto when punch and about the kids :) really appreciate it sir!

24. lfc-Q8

lfc-Q8 Rookie

Oct 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    athbi
    the lag is not from the turbos, it just takes time for the gear downshifts. if you want to eliminate the hesitation just downshift automatically.

25. LucasFerrari

LucasFerrari Rookie

Mar 21, 2019
    California
    I agree Ferrari did a great job eliminating the turbo lag .