Late-60s and early-70s cars without seatbelts | FerrariChat

Late-60s and early-70s cars without seatbelts

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by gcalex, Mar 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    So I've found a few mentions of a notion that Ferraris for the European market might have had the option of being ordered without seat belts.

Does anyone know of an example of a regular production car from the late-60s or early-70s that they think was pretty definitively delivered without any seat belts installed?

If so, what model, and what was the nature of the delete? Were the mounting points still there, but just no belts installed? If the mounting points were there, were then covered with some sort of bolt, or maybe populated with an eyelet?

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    It would have been illegal in the UK after 1967. Seat belt mounts were compulsory from 1965, seat belts themselves from 1967.

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    And mandatory in the US staring in model year 1968. That year the new federal law also mandated a 17 digit VIN, dual channel brakes, and bear claw door latches.

My wife’s grandmother bought a 1968 Buick LeSaber convertible in late 1967 and it came with a GM booklet explaining that these changes weren’t GM’s idea, but was a new Federal law.

Matt

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I was the third owner of an Italian delivery 1966 275 GTB, the interior was untouched. No seat belts and no radio.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Seat belts mounts compulsory, for the front seats only, in France for new production cars starting in 1970.
    Seat belt itself must be fitted on new production cars, and tightened by the front seat driver and passenger, after July 1st, 1973.

Rgds

Christian.Fr likes this.
  6. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    The standardized 17 digit VIN became a US Federal requirement in 1981.

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I was going to comment on this... I just bought a 1975 Porsche, and it doesn't have a 17 digit VIN.

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I have a number of BMW motorcycles built from 1954 to 1987...they adopted the standard in 1981, but weren’t technically compliant until 1983 or so. My bikes built before 1970 have six digit serial numbers...the 1970-80 bikes have seven digit serial numbers...the 1981 and later are a bit more complicated, but have 17 digit VINs.

turbo-joe likes this.
  9. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    My ‘54 and ‘58 (six digit) raised eyebrows at the DMV...strangely, the seven digit bikes have not. I’m about to title another ‘54...should be interesting to see if my other efforts will result in fewer raised eyebrows.

turbo-joe and 375+ like this.
  10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I've registered a few cars with 4 digit VINs, you can't believe the disbelief and bewilderment that causes at the DMV.

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I apologize for bad dating on the VIN requirement.

I fondly remember titling s/n 9453 and the puzzlement it brought to the Triple A folks.

The Ariel Atom and Pur Sang Bugatti were each even more interesting!

Matt

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    My best two DMV memories was when I bought my Khamsin in Florida: I got the personalized number plate (which costs only $50 in the US as opposed to obscene amounts of money in the UK). "Khamsin" was the plate I asked and got.

Then I was going to buy a beater for everyday driving but a friend who had many cars said nah don't do that, instead you can have my 560SEL just give me a symbolic Dollar and resell only to me. It had 200K miles but was in superb shape so I said yes of course:)
    So I went to DMV and the girl behind the counter said: "You got a Mercedes for a Dallah?! Priceless:)

375+ likes this.
  13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Christian.Fr and John Vardanian like this.
  14. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    So 375+ seems to be “the winner” with at least one sighting of a seatbelt-delete car.

Makes sense that it was Italian delivery, as Italy seems to be one of the last countries to require seatbelts.

If anyone knows of any later (post 1966) cars that lacked seatbelts, I’d be curious to hear the details.

15. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    My '63 E-Type did not have seat belts. Going from memory here. I think foreign cars in the US were not required to have seat belts until 1965, but the requirements for US made cars was earlier.

16. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    The first test of an automobile harness dates from the Paris-Marseille-Paris race in 1896.

In France, the first car safety belts of about 1966 were optional. Since 1970, manufacturers must provide anchors. In July 1973, the use of the seat belt becomes obligatory outside the agglomeration.

17. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Without helmet, you lost 3 point on your license :)

18. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Not in Pennsylvania, USA!

:)

Matt

Christian.Fr likes this.