348 - Rear window replacement | FerrariChat

348 Rear window replacement

Discussion in '348/355' started by Albert BE, Mar 26, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert BE

Albert BE Rookie

Feb 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Albert Van Esser
    #1 Albert BE, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Hi everybody,

I need to replace the rear window of my 348 TB.
    Since the replacement is not covered by the insurrance I’m looking for a best price value deal.
    Any good suppliers in Europe?
    Is a lexan window a good alternative?
    Can I do the replacement myself or must it be done by a professionel?

Thanks,

Albert

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I think Lexan has issues with legality on the street? There is a thread on this and actually having windows made, someone did it. I read it a few weeks ago, try and run some searches as it has been covered and you'll want to read the whole thread.

FYI, they are rare and hard to come by and when they do go for sale they sell for thousands, yes plural and more than 3 in today's market almost certainly. A place everyone knows that has shelves of them just waiting for someone to buy is not reality. Reality is many people looking for long long long periods.

Salvage yards rarely have them as they tend to break in accidents. Ferrparts has has 2 in like the last 10 years they told me.

Run some searches, its out here, good luck..

3. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I’m in the same boat, I need one for my 348. Every time I see someone dismantling a new 348/355 I message them to see if the rear window is good and available. I recently thought I had one and they broke it taking it out somehow, or so they said, they might have just got a better offer.
    I might just buy a lexan one from Eurospares. As for legality I’m pretty sure it’s fine for federal DOT and really who would know on a little back window? Heck maybe I’ll get a $30 piece of lexan and try to make my own.

4. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Plugzit had some made real nice

5. Albert BE

Albert BE Rookie

Feb 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Albert Van Esser
    Thanks for the all the feedback.

6. Marie348

Marie348 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Torrez
    Redbaycar in Belgium will make new like original.

7. Albert BE

Albert BE Rookie

Feb 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Albert Van Esser
    Thanks for the reply but currently they only have a reproduction of the Mondial rear window.

8. Marie348

Marie348 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Torrez
    Yes but the 348 is in project too.
    I know it because need one too.

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Not sure if they still have it, but Eurospares are showing a used thermic rear window glass for £2100 : https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/348-27-motronic/bodywork-lighting/glasses-and-gaskets-41227

Again, no guarantee that they actually have them in stock, but Maranello Classic Parts are showing the rear windows as being available for £4633.72 : https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/PagesExternal/Search.aspx

Search for Part No. 62080000 (rear window glass) on both sites.

They're not cheap, but I suspect they're a bit of a bugger to make!