Smoke, weird noise and smell | FerrariChat

Smoke, weird noise and smell

Discussion in '360/430' started by vietyoda, Apr 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vietyoda

vietyoda Rookie

Apr 6, 2018
    Hi guys,
    Please help.
    I have a 2006 F430 spider with 17000 miles.
    While my way to dinner tonight, driving about 40mph, there was a weird squeak noise (like a rubber squeegee on glass). Just one squeak.
    That was followed by a strange smell. Hard to describe.
    Then that was followed by a strange noise (like driving on gravel road and the gravel is bouncing off the wheel wells).
    I pull over and see smoke coming up from the vents near the glass window over the engine.
    I turn off the engine and call a tow truck.

None of the gauges were showing anything abnormal. No warning lights. Now, after all this drama, when I turn the ignition on (without starting the car) it still says, "Check OK."

Any ideas what this might be? How expensive to repair?

Thank you in advance.

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Get the floor off and check the auxiliary belt to see if it is breaking up, also check the pulleys it is driving. About an hour to change if needed

jcurry likes this.
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Like Mike above
    .it definitely sounds like the belt .. or maybe the idler pulley bearings are going and causing stress on belt etc

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Assuming you take the aux belt off , which drives most things, be sure to renew it if not done recently, very cheap and no point putting old one back.

whatheheck likes this.
  5. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    Sounds like a idler pulley or tensioner failed, the bearings let loose, and the belt smoke-checked itself.

whatheheck likes this.
  6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Looks like 3 of us are saying the same thing

.let us know if we are on the money

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I agree, sounds like accessory belt crapped out. Cheap and easy to replace.

I have a DIY post here on it's replacement. Kindly do a search.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

recoil, billy.gif and f355spider like this.
  8. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    Had the same thing happen to my car. The air conditioner compressor seized blew the belt.

Streetsurfer likes this.
  9. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Check the alternator too. Mine crapped out 2 years ago with the power cable. A known weakness even in later cars.

whatheheck likes this.
  10. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was driving down the freeway one day, looked in my rear view mirror and saw smoke rising in my engine compartment. I freaked out, pulled over, opened the hood, and.........................
    Earlier in the day, I was detailing my engine. I had a big Ziploc freezer bag in the engine compartment so I could put soiled paper towels in there. Well, I sat it down right on top of the exhaust manifold, and completely forgot about it. Now fast forward to when I popped open the hatch - the bag was all melted to the manifold, yuk. I felt like a moron.

_JERRY_, Way2fast and whatheheck like this.
  11. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    What @vvvmd said was going to be my input too. Different car, but burnt clutch fiber and rubber smell, squeal and rattle, thump on hood when belt snapped, and smoke.

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Was that Cheech and Chong’s last album?

:)

Matt

(I couldn’t resist, and can’t help, but I sympathize.)

Buzios likes this.
  13. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Best post of the month.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    So what was the problem giving the smoke ?

15. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Alternator crapped out on the Miata too, but after 19 years of trusty service. I heard it laboring but forgot about it on Easter Sunday when I was taking her up to my Brothers for dinner. Of course I had the phone charger plugged in and NOT my volt meter. I saw an error code on my A/F meter for the supercharger. Figured it was for the O2 sensor and thought I could reboot it by shutting the car off. Big mistake, like with my 360. When you see something funny with electrical do NOT shut the car off until you get home! I jumped the Miata from the truck but it was coming up slow and I had a long haul back home even without the trip. So I flat bedded her home. The tow was $300, alternator replacement and labor, $500. Ah well, but the factory Denso unit should go another 19 years or more, especially with trickle charger. Of course the big kicker this time of year is the weather load on our cars. Lights, defroster, AC, wipers, GPS. What a pain. And my wipers were chattering like crazy too. Has happened a lot the past few years. They just don't last, but then the Mother's California Gold wash n wax is a cuplrit too. The wax (and city grunge) builds up on the glass. I cleaned the windshield with SoftScrub again like I did in the fall. Installed new Bosch Micro Edge blades and ...SILENCE! Ahhhh. We'll see how it goes on the way home tonight.

16. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I almost did the same thing. We were going on a group drive and one guy was running late. As we were standing around waiting, someone asked to see my engine. I opened the hood and I had left a microfiber towel on top of the exhaust can. That would have been a melted mess

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    at least it is not a timing belt pulley since the 430 has chains. You just got this car, right? Was there any records of service performed?

18. vietyoda

vietyoda Rookie

Apr 6, 2018
    Hi,

Sorry, I did not reply earlier. For some reason, I got notifications for receiving the first couple of comments after my post, but after that, no more notifications.

The problem was exactly the same as VVVMD above. The AC compressor froze and the belt burnt off/broke. Thank you all for your input.

I just got this car about 5 months ago. Drove almost 3K miles already and loving it, except for the repairs. Haha.

19. vietyoda

vietyoda Rookie

Apr 6, 2018
    No service records from prior owner.