Three most dangerous cars you have driven... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Three most dangerous cars you have driven...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by richard_wallace, Apr 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    97 Viper GTS.. to much low end torque and power with zero traction control computer devices ... especially on a cold evening
    427 Cobra just plain dangerous easy to kill yourself..short wheelbase lots of power

DrewH and daytona355 like this.
  2. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    These are dangerous, in the 70s they didn’t even have power steering.
    Terrible at low speeds in any traffic, if loaded with a loaded trailer, the brakes were a nightmare.
    They do better in the middle of the river in 4-5’ of water, and when parked (in the river) make a great dock for a party.
    They will almost climb a tree ;)
    Had a left front tire blow out at speed (55 mph) automatically crosses into oncoming traffic, thru the ditch and out into a field....
    Thank God for that. A front blowout could be fatal, brakes suck and no power steering, you go where the truck goes.
    #2 had an old 76’ Bronco with a hopped up 351W in it, way to much hp and the brakes sucked.
    Lift kit made cornering a bit sketchy, the short wheelbase did not help.
    #3 I don’t have a #3, but I may rethink my dream of a Viper ;) and/or a cobra replica after reading this thread.......lol.
    ........I get in enough trouble with just 400 hp on the street.

Formula Uno, daytona355 and Robb like this.
  3. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    The first exotic I ever drove: a brand new 2004 SL65 AMG. At the time my boss bought it and he told me I should drive it. I was 25 at the time. Built and drove plenty of muscle cars before that day, but nothing compared to the TT V12. He turned off the traction control while we were driving and said "have fun, nail it ! "

daytona355 likes this.
  4. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    My dads 87 Hyundai excel when I was in high school. Total death trap. Just trying to do the limit on a highway felt unsafe. Just about everything you touched in the interior, including the steering wheel, would break,

I had a gf with a Pontiac firefly in high school as well...that car was only slightly better than the Hyundai.

#3 is a bike, not a car. 88 Yamaha rz350...2 stroke street bike. Lots of power but too light. Crosswinds on a highway could blow you a lane over.

Boomhauer and daytona355 like this.
  5. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Just one, which I regretfully sold. My S2a Alfa spider.

The car wasn't too powerful, nor was I particularly afraid of being squished by an SUV. One day on the highway, a small rock was thrown by another car and came flying and hit the top part of the windscreen. The top of my head was above the windscreen top by about 8-10 cm (even with the lowered Porsche seats I fitted). Had that rock been an inch or so higher, it would have been very bad for my forehead. That scared me.

I parked it that weekend, and then someone crashed into it in the condo parking lot.

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Lola T204 formula race car. Move the steering wheel a fraction and it turns into a spinning top. Ask me how I know :D

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The most dangerous car I have driven is the Jensen Healey I just brought. One mistake, and I'm dead. Cars are so much more safer today.

8. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #3 - 1957 Alfa Giuletta. Had this car for about 5-6 years. Terrible wet weather handling, and the skinniest tires ever. Also, very little power to get out of its own way. Little in the way of safety including no headrests.
    #2 - 2002 Ginetta G20. Had this one for about 6 years. An absolute blast to drive in good weather, but again, little safety equipment including no ABS, no roof, no crumple zones... Also, terrible in the rain. No wipers, hydroplane at anything over 30 due to low weight.
    #1 - 2007 Mosler MT900s. A friend brought it to my 40th birthday party and let me drive it for about 30 minutes. Wayyy too much power, and very little weight. I could definitely see having a fiery crash that ended with death in this car. I would guess if I owned one, I would either not drive it, or it would kill me.

:D
    BT

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Hmmm interesting question. for me it would be:

1. 1987 Porsche 962 Race car. ... only got to do 3 laps but it was with out a doubt the most dangerous car I've driven... safety, power and skill needed.
    2. 1990 formula Renault Martini - feet way out before the suspension, thin fiberglass construction, small tires fuel bladder right behind you... top speed 180mph... ( low df trim paul ricard )
    3. 1991 Ferrari F-40 ... no power anything to help you, lots of power and amazing amount of grip - until you don't have any grip. - also my favorite car ever driven.

10. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    My 1967 Ford Bronco with a worn-out worm gear in the steering box. Steering wheel had 90 degrees of play.

Then my C7 Z06.On the track of course

daytona355 and Texas Forever like this.
  11. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    1) A 1974 Firebird 400 I had in High School. Too much hp in the hands of a teenager.
    2) Any rental car I drove as a Lieutenant. Had to find the edge of the envelope. And go just a bit beyond....

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Did you do the same with planes? :eek:

daytona355 likes this.
  13. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

1964 VW Bus. Head on........... say good by.

daytona355 and Texas Forever like this.
  14. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I always thought that was the real reason we had Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.....

Ak Jim and Texas Forever like this.
  15. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    71 Vette 454. Girl I met let me drive it. Great acceleration, wait there's a stop sign...uh brakes don't fail me now! Yeah they did....

Dodge Viper, loved it on track. But this car is like the devil. Tempting you with it's power. But also wanting to kill you.

78 Ford Fairmont was appropriately lemon yellow. Between the lag on acceleration that would rear it's ugly head at every critical intersection, or the time the steering wheel column caught fire dripping molten plastic blobs between my legs near me privates while I'm sweating said balls off on I 95 wearing shorts cause the A/C never worked.

Luckily for me I was saved from that POS when a surprise Nor'easter came and flooded it at the marina I parked it.

paulchua, 4re308, stavura and 2 others like this.
  16. PGI

PGI Karting

Oct 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ken
    OneD, stavura, TheMayor and 5 others like this.
  17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    VW Vanagon.

paulchua likes this.
  18. PRO SYSTEMS

PRO SYSTEMS Karting

Mar 4, 2017
    Miami, FL
    Lambo LP-640 and 2010 ACR Viper. The Lambo would bind up in the corners and wobble as the awd struggled with the issues turning created and the ACR posi was so tight it would snap oversteer in an instant. The breakaway was like 3 inches and it was gone. ACR is now totaled. 1 of 1. Oh well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    '77 930
    f40
    anything made in england prior to 1980

Nembo1777, 4re308 and Texas Forever like this.
  20. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Interesting how we all agree on this one

Can’t even begin to tell you how many of these I’ve owned. Loved every one of them. Also realized each and every one was a death trap.

paulchua and Texas Forever like this.
  21. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    My 1958 Fiat 600 Multipla is dangerous in almost all conditions, I'd certainly NEVER let a youngster loose in it. Slowest car in the world?

I once had the very unpleasant experience of witnessing an older Porsche 911 go into snap oversteer while changing lanes at very high speed. It hurtled across the center lane divider, hit a large pickup head on, and instantly killed the passenger, a young lady who had been married less than an hour beforehand. She was ejected from the car. The remains of the Porsche missed my old Triumph convertible by about a foot. Porsche driver survived.

Texas Forever likes this.
  22. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I still have a very nice TR6. On a recent drive with the hot looking long legged blonde that runs my house she asked me,
    “It’s cute but....Just how safe is this car? What would happen if we got hit?”​
    My reply?
    “We’d die.”
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Your brutal honesty in the face of peril is what keeps her around :D

daytona355 and carguyjohn350 like this.
  24. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah, she says I’m not boring but I’m not sure if that is a compliment.

daytona355 and Miltonian like this.
  25. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Add me to the list for the 930. Even after driving it a few thousand miles it would surprise me. Not in a good way. More in a "I'm going to get you eventually" way... which is why I sold it. They're cool, beautiful, fast, and dangerous.

I'd also never have another crotch rocket. When I was a kid I wanted a bike in the worst way, and ended up getting one when I moved out. Next summer I got a new ZX7R - insane speed but it was also obvious I'd die if I kept it. Nobody sees them and you're the crumple zone when you get hit. Ask me how I know. Never again.

Interestingly I own a McLaren 720s now and I don't feel like it's dangerous, even though it's brutally fast. It always feels planted, and always has the brakes to slow it down when needed.

daytona355 likes this.