Carbon fibre diffuser on the California 30 | FerrariChat

Carbon fibre diffuser on the California 30

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by 4th_gear, Apr 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi, I'm creating this thread to answer a question that Fireman1291 asked me on another thread of a different topic. So this thread is just to avoid taking that other thread off topic.

I was asked to provide some photos of the CF diffuser that I upgraded my 2013 Cali30 with. I just took my car out for the first time this season as our off-season is usually 6-7 months long. I was hoping to take some reasonable photos with my iPhone but the skies were overcast today and the iPhone camera does not sufficient dynamic range to render shadows well, especially against a white car.

After I got home and saw how bad the iPhone photos were I dug out my digital camera and took a shot inside my garage.

I also located a photo shot by RevoZport who supplied the side skirt for my car. Their CF diffuser is virtually identical to the Ferrari-branded unit and their photo is obviously of professional quality.

My dealer is picking up my car for upgrades and service tomorrow and the light is supposed to be better then so I might be able to take better photos using my digital camera. I may also be able to place my original diffuser below the CF unit for comparison.

Basically-speaking, you will notice the CF diffuser matches the CF license plate holder panel but in bright overcast skies conditions, there will be so much diffused glare coming off (especially a white car) that you won't make out the CF weave on the skin, or even know what the parts are made of. It's actually easier to see on a sunny day.

*** NASTY PROBLEM ***

I had a PROBLEM when I made the upgrade.

The factory Cali diffuser design uses 1 wing + 2 fins but each fin is actually in 2 parts. The main part of the fin holds onto the wing and is screwed into the diffuser panel that also acts as an undertray.

Unfortunately, the 2 fins are so long that they each have a small (rather expensive) trailing section that is separately attached to another undertray that is further forward. My diffuser wing and fin assembly was a perfect fit and an easy swap for the original plastic assembly but I had problems fitting the small trailing fins on the undertray further forward.

Those trailing fins came pre-installed in a new undertray and I originally thought that was great because I wouldn't have to fiddle with the fins. Unfortunately when I tried to swap the undertrays I discovered one of the screw holes in the new tray did not align with the car's undercarriage. There was no way to avoid using the screw location. So I decided to swap the fins between the 2 undertrays and use the CF fins on the original undertray.

That's when I discovered the next PROBLEM.

The small screws fastening the CF fins were made of aluminium and their hex-sided heads were all stripped when they were originally installed. There was nothing to grab onto. I had to literally reshape every screw head with small files, partially digging into the surrounding plastic to get at them. After I got them off I had to locate proper stainless steel replacements as the ones from the plastic fins being replaced were also of questionable condition. All of that took a fair bit of work.

I've attached a photo of the (new) undertray that the CF fins came on. Notice the 6 screw locations with the extensive filing marks.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's a nice mod!
    T

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks Tom. I'll see how the weather works out tomorrow. ;)

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Interior pics, if you can!
    T

5. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thanks for the write up! Does the factory rear CF diffuser only upgrade the horizontal part and the fins? Or does it replace the entire rear including the part that sweeps up under the bumper. The RevoZport is substantially more affordable and it looks like the weave pattern is a close match.

6. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Not trying to hijack this thread. Here’s mine. Like you, I also have the factory carbon fiber license plate holder, so everything matches. My Land Rover mechanic installed it for me as a favor and it took him less 25 minutes. I thought he did a perfect job.

BDeuel and tomc like this.
  7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I manage to take a few extra photos before my car was collected for service.

Here's a comparison shot showing the factory CF diffuser next to the original plastic/ribber one that came with my car. Only the wing and fins are CF. The panel that the diffuser is attached to is not changed - you use the original plastic one that came on the car. The small trailing portions of the fins are kind of silly and very expensive - see the closer view of one.

My RevoZport side skirt was of 1st-rate quality but I do not believe RevoZport makes the small trailing portion of the fin. You can make out the matching weave in the closeup photo.

IMO, the CF diffuser is nice but is not great value for your money and the little trailing portions are even worse value. You have to buy them separately already installed on a new undertray and the undertray may not fit your car.

Unfortunately, the factory diffuser design was the only design I was OK with. If I were designing the CF version of the diffuser I would have extended the wing, the fins and maybe use 3 or 4 fins instead of just 2, which should result in greater downforce. The Hammann one is of original design and does increase downforce but I didn't like the way it looks. As it is, the factory just lamely made a CF version of the same diffuser - a waste of an expensive opportunity. Oh well.

Hey tom, here are a few shots of my interior. My dealer is finishing a small "upgrade" to the interior. Hope show that when I get my car back in a few weeks.

Looks good Jimmy. Nice to see you also went for the same mod.

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^Spiffy. I'm assuming this means it's k driving season up your way? Hope so. Enjoy your Cali.
    T

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm guessing what you mean by "k driving season..." but yes the weather has finally turned up here. Now I just have to wait for my car to come back from service. That's OK, I'm busy anyway. :rolleyes: Hope to see more photos of your car adventures.

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Cool. I need to take more pics of the Cali when I am out and about driving it, which I do about once - twice per week. I still feel self conscious about taking pics of my own car! :)
    T

11. Keegs

Keegs Rookie

Mar 31, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Keegan drage
    hoping someone can help. Just fitted front carbon spoiler to my California, took front bumper off, 2 hours job done... however now trying to fit the rear diffuser, right fiddly! Does anyone know, do I need to take the rear bumper off to do this and if so is it easy like the front? Or do I just have to keep fiddling away in the dark underneath. Cant quite work it out..... so frustrated

12. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    My mechanic did not take the rear bumpers off. He did put my car up on the lift. He did wear his miner’s hat with those LED headband lights. He also has pretty long arms. Took him about 20 minutes to install, but he’s pretty mechanically gifted and it is his profession.

13. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #13 4th_gear, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Here are some photos showing the fasteners on the standard plastic diffuser.

As you can see there appears to be 5 fasteners that use nuts and 4 fasteners that are of the body fender screw variety. The screws are made of light metal and you have to be careful not to strip them.

If you remove the undertray that is holding the trailing parts of the 2 diffuser fins, that opens up enough room for someone of slender build to get his head and arms into the area to reach back and work on the fasteners... but it would be awkward. The diffuser is fastened to the black plastic panel THAT IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE BUMPER.

The exhaust system of my car was also being worked on when I swapped my diffuser so my mechanic wanted to remove the rear bumper anyway. The bumper IS a pain to work on.

14. Dolcevita

Dolcevita Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Craig
    If those are pozidriv screws then you want to use the right head.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4th_gear likes this.
  15. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
  16. BDeuel

BDeuel Rookie

Jan 27, 2019
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Brad Deuel
    That looks insane! What brand did you purchase and where? Would love to add this to my car. I had been to,d you needed to remove the rear bumper .. was that the case with yours? Thanks!