First Ferrari drive in a Daytona | FerrariChat

First Ferrari drive in a Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by teegeefla, Apr 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. teegeefla

teegeefla Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom Gee
    I wonder if anyone can help me out...I'm looking for a Daytona chassis number and other details.

I had my first chance to drive a Ferrari back in late 1978 or January 1979; it was a Daytona coupe that was either owned by Charlie Kemp or for sale through his dealership in Mississippi. Unfortunately I cannot remember what color it was other than it was not red (a brief disappointment at the time). It was definitely dark...maybe black. Not much info I admit, but you experts have solved other mysteries with less information.

I only drove it for a couple of miles, but I did get a chance to experience the sound and speed from the driver's seat. Those memories have stayed with me all this time...

Any help is appreciated.

Tom

Christian.Fr likes this.
  2. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    M Kemp get in his inventory in 1980 a 365 GT/4 Daytona in color Dark Blu competition car.

375+ likes this.
  3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    If it was #12547 you drove, then it was not just any competition Daytona, but the alloy bodied prototype.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  4. teegeefla

teegeefla Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom Gee
    I would love to claim that it was Competition Coupe 12547 but I don't know if it was that car. I don't recall any racing items (roll cage, gauges, seats, body panels, etc) but of course they could have been long removed by the time I drove it and it had been restored to stock form. Do any of you know what color the interior was on 12547 at that time? I seem to recall tan seats with a black dash.

Also, would 12547 have been at Kemp's dealership in late 1978 (October thru December)? Because I know that my Daytona drive was prior to the 1979 Daytona 24 hour race that I attended courtesy of Charlie's Mustang II racing team.

My other clear memory was that when Charlie and I swapped seats, he admonished me in no uncertain terms to be gentle with the clutch...no hard launches or my fun ride was over.

I wish I could recall more details...

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    12547 looks very similar to a street Daytona, and is without the wide arches etc but the shape of the panels are in fact unique to it. This would not have been apparent on your drive if it was the car as many of the changes from standard are underneath. It is over 200KG lighter than a standard Daytona, probably with a lightened frame as well as more power. It was recorded at 300+ Km/h along the Mulsanne Straight and also at Daytona, which would not have been possible with just a lowering of weight.

6. teegeefla

teegeefla Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom Gee
    Thanks Steve...between my youthful excitement and now the dulling of my memory I cannot offer much more detail. So I think I will just satisfy my ego and declare that I drove 12547 until someone proves me wrong. Regards, Tom.

dmundy and miurasv like this.