F12 tdf vs 812 | FerrariChat

F12 tdf vs 812

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Eilig, Feb 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Entertaining discussions and comparisons of the F12 tdf versus 812 Superfast.... Overall, they all seem to reach the same general conclusions.

4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so a couple thoughts that pertain to the spirit of this comparison. ive owned a ferrari since 2002, im 43 today. Started out with a 95 355 which floored me when i first saw one in 1995. the next car was a 2007 430 spider which was the first car i specced out and still own it today. the first LE allocation i received was a for the TDF after LaF was yanked or never awarded. I recently sold my tdf for approx 60% more than sticker (had i put 12k miles on it i wld have gotten sticker) and my brother said wow you made a nice amount of money on it. not really. to be awarded a TDF i had a cali, a cali t, 3 maseratis, and an FF. Definitely lost alot more than what i made on the tdf.

separately, none of these cars are ahead of their time. the f40, the diablo, they were pioneers and trailblazers. Is an 800 hp ferrari really something to relish over when my 2011 Range Rover SC has 500 hp? mclaren and porsche also have high horsepower cars. so net net having been through a 20 year cycle i dont see any reason to chase limited editions unless there is some wild TM spec that fancies you. The guy who spends 1M on a tdf today is no worse off than me. in fact, he might be better off when you calculate the hassle and friction costs associated with all the cars i had to buy that i didnt want etc.

the trade that makes sense for a US person who isnt a track bug - is buy a high mile european tdf or any car, leave it in germany or italy, go there for 2 weeks every year and pounce on it where speed limits arent 55 MPH and the roads are good!

wrt the above, the 812 is on my list....when they are 160K grand. I saw my tdf 3 times in the 2 years i owned it so i doubt ill miss that one. take the f40, 512tr, CS, or 355 away from my garage - i might cry like a baby.

LMH, Thecadster, 09Scuderia and 8 others like this.
  3. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yeah, we all get it. You’ve had a lot of cars as you like to constantly tell us. I hope your TDF went to a good home where it will be loved, much like the kid who discarded the gorgeous puppy they got for Christmas. Played with it a few times then cast it aside, demanding the latest toy.

I doubt your TDF will miss you either

You’ll be talking down the 812 eventually too because it won’t be enough of a leap from the TDF to hold your attention. In fact, it’s tamer, more civilized, less exciting and edgy.

*yawn*

Pis7a2020, LI2782 and tonyswfla like this.
  4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    #4 ttforcefed, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    deleted
    will one up your yawn with yawn x infinity

BarryK and dustman like this.
  5. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I get it, as cars have sentimental values to its owners. Your 355 and 512TR are case in point, as I had them too but I don't think they drive any good so I sold them and kept my Porsches from the same era. It's a shame that you only saw your TDF for 3 times in 2 years. Better to sell it than keep it for no good reasons.

ttforcefed likes this.
  6. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    lmao. I would work harder so I can lose money on the newest ferrari. I would work harder so when I find my TDF, I can put miles on the car like no others.

Put the drama aside, I have done 2500 miles on my 812, the best driving experience ever in an automobile, even far beyond my last 3 F12's. Well, the 812 gonna depreciate to $150k while Im typing this. Ok, I need to get back to work now.

wtran, R J, j09333 and 1 other person like this.
  7. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Tdf and 812 both too good to be true.
    They are modern day pinacle of v12 FR.
    Tdf no matter what others say, is special car even for Ferrari to try out the setting that will not be repeated anytime soon.

They made tdf oversteer like old sports car.

812 on the other hand, more neutral. Feels heavy as it is. More of GT kinda easy going sports car.

Tdf, forget long distance.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

MB224, hagen111, Caeruleus11 and 2 others like this.
  8. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Agreed!!

I wont care if I lose money driving the XXXX out of my cars.
    Will be happy to spend more if they allow me limited cars.

It is the process othat matters to me not the end result of saving money by buying used limited. Car is only special when ordered by myself.

stavura, Shack, sampelligrino and 3 others like this.
  9. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    His money, his car, what's the problem?

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    As Luca di Montezemolo noted people buy Ferrari models for many different reasons. One Hollywood client simply enjoyed washing his Ferrari every Saturday. Another owner displayed the Ferrari inside his home like a piece of art simply because he enjoyed looking at the design. There is no right or wrong way to enjoy your Ferrari model or models.

MB224, JesseRohr, NYC Fred and 6 others like this.
  11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    MB224, JesseRohr, x z8 and 6 others like this.
  12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    MB224, x z8, PTG1 and 6 others like this.
  13. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Drove tdf from St Maxim to Tuscany and back. Long distance. Amazing drive. Very accomplished, comfortable, thrilling over long distances. Wouldn’t hesitate to do long distances on those kinds of roads.

JesseRohr, hagen111, stavura and 4 others like this.
  14. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    I know I won’t over lusso or 812. I did 800kms round trip once with tdf, lusso, and 812. Lusso no doubt did the trip wonderful and best of all cars in the world. 812 doable but it was stressful and got tired after drive. Tdf... just say no... lol

15. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Hahahhaaa!!!!
    :) :) :) :)

MB224 likes this.
  16. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    #16 R J, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    But such an event to do it in the tdf. Thrilling ride. Arrive exhilarated. Marvellous experience, life affirming and keeps you so alert as you seek to stay on top of the way it dances up on its toes.
    Can’t wait to experience the 812 over similar drives - just a couple of weeks now until I collect it. Only driven 812 on track (in the solid rain soaked Fiorano), and on short run to a UK proving ground for a few laps in a dealer demonstrator - did love it on the UK “track” when the pace increased. Bumpy, nuggety proving ground made the steering wheel nibble, react and feedback road surface texture like an old 911’s. Just flowed. Effortless, majestic and epic. Also has drive train made of silk and cream, like the tdf. All that anger delivered in such silken packaging.

stavura, Feroari, 4_Eff_Sake and 2 others like this.
  17. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Well put... a beautiful beast indeed.

j09333 likes this.
  18. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    No longer his car actually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Thank you for posting and in particular this part. I've watched from the sidelines and wondered exactly how much an owner spends to get the opportunity to spec a LE car and if it's a wash in the end or not. I didn't give it much thought numbers-wise til Rob posted his new Cali for sale and I saw the hit he was taking to move up the list for a LE spot at some point in the future (not sure if he's still going for that goal).

TM opportunity makes the most sense...the bare aluminum TDF is still the best spec'd' modern Fcar imo.

rockitman, dustman and 4_Eff_Sake like this.
  20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    you're welcome.

ewright likes this.
  21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Agree...that post was insightful.
    Looking fwd to owning TDF in future.

of2worlds likes this.
  22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    moving up the list without spending obscene amounts of money is almost impossible. essentially you need to buy every model that comes out if you are new to the game.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  23. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
  24. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    The thing is under Luca, Ferrari left enough on the table that this was a viable model for the clients. Sergio has completely changed this. The pricing for new LE Ferrari's has moved up significantly and they are now producing way more of them (both in numbers and models). IMHO the days of driving free Ferraris are soon going to be over. To some it will not matter but it will matter to a lot others.

Prancing 12 and 09Scuderia like this.
  25. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    thanks for writing this. Much appreciated.