Challenge Stradale TCU | FerrariChat

Challenge Stradale TCU

Discussion in '360/430' started by kes7u, Apr 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am strongly considering upgrading my 2000 F360 to a Challenge Stradale TCU.

I have read everything I could find in past messages regarding this. Meaning I now know just enough to be dangerous. I do have a few questions.

The cheapest I have found an OEM CS TCU for is 2200 pounds ($3000). So I have contacted Eric regarding the possibility of a flashed unit. Would a Ferrari dealer be willing to install a flashed TCU into my car? I could install it first in my car, but would like for them to be able to transfer the information from the old TCU.

I understand that my current TCU is essentially non adjustable, and auto-adjusts the PIS with clutch wear. The newer units and CS are adjustable utilizing SD2. We do not have a local Ferrari dealer, and few SD2 units that I'm aware. I would likely have the dealer perform the install and setup, despite the inconvenience. How often, though, would I need to have the PIS adjusted to keep the system functioning optimally, or adequately? If it is too often, then maybe better to stick with the less optimal, self-adjusting unit and greater clutch wear than having to repeatedly ship the car off????

Thank you in advance for your input!
    Kevin

2. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Which year is your car?

DId you look at the serial # of your TCU? That will tell you if it's adjustable or not.

It's easy to find, it's right behind the passenger seat.

My local Ferrari dealer installed several TCU's I brought to them and I paid them an 1/2 hour labor to set it up...I would not hesitate to bring Eric's reflashed unit to them.

Here is some useful info I copied from Aldous:

Ferrari revised the TCU many times during the production run of the 360. As far as I can find out, these are the part numbers for the different TCU’s:

The higher the part number, the “better” the TCU. Better in this context means faster shifts with lower clutch wear. There were some critical updates during the production run, the first being part number 189542. TCU’s prior to the introduction of this part did not have the capacity to manually set the PIS

I have a 191701 FS now which was a huuuge improvement over my 176552 until I finally found a CS unit for a good price.

3. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    MY 2000. I didn't check the ECU, but Eric did indicate that no native MY2000 TCUs are adjustable. So mine is definitely an early one.

I have NO doubt that a newer vs CS TCU will make a world of difference.

Good to know that you think a Ferrari dealer would install the reflash

Regarding the PIS adjustment, though. How often would you expect to have to readjust this setting? Could get VERY inconvenient given distance to the dealer. That, (as well as Ferrari's willingness to install), is my main concern at this point.

Thank you!
    Kevin

4. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Had mine done super easy upgrade

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Once set the PIS should not need changing or at least changing very often.
    The system compensates as the clutch wears.

6. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Good news. Go for it, and glad to hear a dealer will do it. I bought a CS TCU from Eric and it is magnificent. I purposely went with a whole native unit so I wouldn't get into trouble as far as proprietary software. But it sounds now like it won't be a problem for you. The clutch can still be slow but only when cold and on uphills when launching from stop. But I adjusted my PIS with a tech on board over 3 sessions, flat, uphill and downhill. Altogether we could set mine to 3.75 mm or clearly lower than 4. It's been great and incredible shifting over 5K rpms and downshifting.