Red Bull F1 | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Red Bull F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by NEP, Apr 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

could, should , would, etc...
    Get back to reality !

Don't you remember in which circumstances Alonso left Ferrari?
    I don't think they want to relive that!

2. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    your sarcasm/humor detector must be busted

stavura and Bas like this.
  3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Newey not so magical?

Red Bull is hoping to find a "magic password" to unlock its RB15 Formula 1 car's sweet spot, as it feels its chassis needs more sorting than its Honda engine.

Both Max Verstappen and Pierre Gasly have struggled to consistently get the most out of the team's 2019 car, which appears to have a narrow set-up window in which it can access maximum performance and make the tyres work.

Verstappen was frustrated with his car's handling as he finished fourth in the Bahrain Grand Prix two weeks after his impressive Australian GP podium, while Gasly is yet to reach Q3 since joining Red Bull and has only finished 11th and eighth in his first two races.

Team principal Christian Horner admitted that it was a hard situation for the drivers.

"It's a tricky car at the moment," said Horner. "Our operating window looks quite narrow and Max has coped with that extremely well.

"It's been harder for Pierre. That will come, I'm sure."

Horner said the Bahrain weekend highlighted where the team needs to improve, and gave some indicators of what needs to be worked on in the post-race test on Tuesday and Wednesday.

"It's perfect timing," said Horner about the test.

"We need to find more performance. Ferrari were very strong here this weekend. Mercedes got lucky with a one-two, but Ferrari were the dominant team.

"Trying to understand where are our strengths/weaknesses to Ferrari here is quite important.

"Once you get into a window, particularly with these tyres... they looked a different team to two weeks ago. And vice versa with Mercedes.

"It's just understanding what the magic password is."

Image Unavailable, Please Login

While Horner acknowledged that Ferrari's straightline speed in Bahrain suggests it has a clear power advantage over Honda, he does not believe Red Bull's engine partner is the factor holding it back.

"Ferrari look like they've selected another gear," he said.

"It's been enormously impressive, their straightline performance.

"We've got more to sort out on the chassis side. The engine's continuing to make good progress.

"So our focus is very much on trying to understand the tyre issues and get the car into a good operating window."

Red Bull has experimented with numerous set-up directions in the opening two races to try to figure out what is needed.

Although some of those attempts have not worked, Horner said it has been valuable for improving the team's understanding of the car.

"When you're chasing issues like this and you're moving a problem around, it usually points the finger in other areas," he said.

"We've got a lot of good data from this weekend and are starting to understand areas we need to be focusing on."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/142516/red-bull-needs-magic-password-chassis-solution

4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Newey confirms the worst: poor Red Bull chassis for Verstappen & Gasly

Red Bull Racing ‘design guru’ Adrian Newey acknowledges that the current Max Verstappen and Pierre Gasly’s car is not yet as good as he would like it to be, and there’s a lot of catching up to do with the chassis.

So far, chassis design has been one of Red Bull Racing’s great strengths, or so they’d like you to believe, and this has a lot to do with designer Adrian Newey. Over the past few years, the team have often pointed the finger at engine partner Renault as their weak link, ironic now that for 2019 it’s not their engine partner but themselves that are to blame.

This year the RB15, with which Max Verstappen and his new team-mate Pierre Gasly will compete in the World Championship, has been described as an utter headache for the engineers in Milton Keynes.

Team boss Christian Horner described the 2019 racer as “tricky” at the last race in Bahrain, and also complained about the narrow working window in which the RB15 functions optimally. Red Bull motorsport consultant Dr Helmut Marko also alluded to the downforce problems of Newey’s latest design.

The engineer himself admits in the Sky Sport F1 interview:

“If I am completely honest, then I have to admit that on the chassis side we are not as far as we would like to be. We just have to keep going and make our contribution.”

The Brit also took the opportunity to praise the new Red Bull Racing engine partner Honda.

“We have a good working relationship and trust each other. Everyone makes their contribution without having to fight a mud battle.

“Of course, culturally there are clear differences, but I think as long as you respect and understand that, it’s not a problem at all,” enthuses Newey.

And the 60-year-old stresses: “Honda has really brought a breath of fresh air that motivates the whole team. They always deliver what they promise. There’s no reason to complain at all. Sure, they’re not at eye level with Mercedes and Ferrari yet. But I’m very confident that they will soon achieve that.”

https://thejudge13.com/2019/04/10/red-bull-chief-admits-neweys-got-this-one-wrong/

DF1 likes this.
  5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    "or so they'd like you to believe''.

What an odd thing to say. Over the years they destroyed anyone using the renault engine including the factory team, especially at chassis dominant circuits where they not only destroyed any renault powered team, but also took the fight to the ultimate benchmarks. So the chassis was very much up to par each time. Unless they're suggesting everyone else had a chassis made of jelly all this time?

The chassis was modified for inbetween testing and australia due to overheating issues. Undoubtly it was a hasty job so reasonable to expect some significant performance affects. We're told by Mercedes that Lewis' Australia slump was due to a very small piece of the floor having falling off; imagine what hacking a chassis and aero to pieces will do?

william likes this.
  6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Is Red Bull now suffering from the "McLaren syndrome" ?

If you don't perform, you blame your engine. But when you change supplier, you find that it's your chassis that is at fault !

After years of recrimination, McLaren found that a different engine underlined their chassis' flaws.

Is Red Bull going through the same experience?

kes7u likes this.
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    "or so they'd like you to believe";)

Bas likes this.
  8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    indeed, lol

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    See Mclaren could easily blame the engine because they where the only one using it, so ''none would be wiser''... Red Bull was one of 3 teams using the Renault unit and was always head and shoulders above anyone using that engine. The Renault engine was unreliable (not just in the Red Bull but all renault engined cars including the factory team) and all renault engined cars where down in the trap speeds, and in a drag race against other cars it always lost....suggesting that it was indeed underpowered.

maulaf likes this.
  10. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    #210 Jean-Pierre Marchand, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    You think Honda would want Alonso . . . Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen!

Button?? Button?? Playoffs? That train has left the station many years ago.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

He will tell you that your sarcasm/humour detector is busted too.

12. DF1

With admission of issues - I do not see a Red Bull win without alot of help this year.

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think this weekend and Spain (updates) will be telling. Max/Red Bull have been saying they went wrong on the setup in Bahrain. Apparently their setup window is really very narrow (right now? Until chassis sorted/car fully understood?). They seemed to have decent race pace in Melbourne but where held up by Lewis'...this could be that they had the setup right or Melbourne's very different track layout not showing the true pace of cars, of course.

IF this weekend they know what they did wrong and have a good setup sorted, and have very good race pace I think their year can be salvaged, as we know they'll have big updates coming to fix chassis/aero issues (I wouldn't bet against Newey) quick time.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Perhaps, but the switch to Honda hasn't push Red Bull in the winning circles yet, has it?
    I cannot see Verstappen as a title contender this year.

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #215 Bas, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    well we're 2 races in the season, and they haven't dropped a place, nor have Renault really moved up.

Renault has 4 engines on the grid and thus far have had 5 failures.
    Honda has 4 engines on the grid and thus far have a 0 failures.

At this point last year Red Bull had 20 points and was 4th in the championship, with Renault in 5th with 15 points
    Right now Red Bull have 31 points and are 3rd in the championship, with renault 7th in the championship with 6 points.

nsxrebel likes this.
  16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I hear you, but will we see Red Bull winning a GP this year?
    I think not.

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

I think we will.

nsxrebel and 375+ like this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I take your word for it.

Bas likes this.
  19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Max is currently 3rd in WDC ..ahead of both Ferraris.

nsxrebel, 375+ and william like this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yep, but that doesn't reveal the true potential.
    Max has been steady, and Ferrari had a shambolic start.
    We will know more after the next 2 GPs.

21. DF1

+1 but with help. They have inherent chassis issues that are hard to chase as others develop

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Depends how hard the issues are...that none of us know. If it's something fixable we'll see it in the coming few races, otherwise prepare to see a new chassis introduced at some point this year...

It's hard to see where they really are so far. Maybe pole at monaco is a possibility.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Is that allowed?

I mean a new chassis design ?

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Sure absolutely. Been done plenty of times, but likely need new crash test for it also, so the time invested better make sure it'll a) be a good chassis and b) suitable base for the next season. Since not much will change next season it would make sense if they had a new chassis was in the pipeline, if they believe they can't seriously compete for the title with the current one.

375+ and DF1 like this.
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The tech rules never stop to amaze me .