Strange Intermittent Banging Noise 575 | FerrariChat

Strange Intermittent Banging Noise 575

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Detroitsteel, Apr 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Detroitsteel

Detroitsteel Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan/Japan
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I just took my 575 out of storage yesterday for its first drive. Before it went into storage for the winter it was at Ferrari for its yearly maintenance in November and had a clean bill of health. While driving on the highway over 80mph in 6th I heard a noise that sounded like something banging the drivers floor board a few times. There would be a few bangs then nothing. This noise happened a couple times both on the drive to and from work and only while cursing in a straight line in 6th over 80mph with no noticeable bumps in the road or adverse road conditions. It also faintly sounded like it came from the passenger side once. Other notes, when this happened there was no change in RPM or noticeable change in drive feeling, also no warning lights of any kind, the car makes no unusual sounds going over bumps or turning. I did a quick visual inspection looking under the car and there is nothing visually obvious. I haven't had time to put it up on the rack to dig deeper but was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience with this?

2. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    root likes this.
  3. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Definitely worth a look. I blew the belly pan off a Dino 246 GT at 135 mph in west Texas because there were a few loose bolts. Never did find it.

5. Detroitsteel

Detroitsteel Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan/Japan
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I'll roll under there this weekend and check it out. I'll let you guys know what I find. Thank you!

6. Detroitsteel

Detroitsteel Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan/Japan
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Some missing fasteners towards the middle of the car were the culprit. Thank you!

Laserguru likes this.
  7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    All's well that ends well. :)

8. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There is a heck of a lot more aero pressure (low in this case) under cars that most folk give credence. Did you see George Russel's Williams suck that manhole cover clear up out of the hole during FP1 in Baku? Did incredible damage to the race car. Broken chassis. Claire Williams can't catch a break. But it takes a pretty good low pressure zone to suck up a manhole cover.