Get 599 now or wait for F12? | FerrariChat

Get 599 now or wait for F12?

Discussion in '612/599' started by psb1013, Apr 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    Had a chance to test-drive both cars recently and was instantly smitten! I am absolutely convinced that the V12 is the best engine for the purest and most glorious Ferrari experience. While I felt the F12 is a superior car in terms of raw power, gearbox, ride quality, reliability, and refinement, it is also almost double the price. I also think the 599 is also slightly better-looking in general. I hear quite a bit about the F12 looking too much like the Corvette, esp. the front end. In any case, I think I found a 599 in a spec that I like. However, I have a feeling that if I get the 599 now, I might regret it later as the F12 is a newer and better overall car. Is it better to save up and wait?

F50gta likes this.
  2. Rex71

Rex71 Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Jeddah,Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Majd B.
    +1

jehu999 likes this.
  3. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

I can only offer the opinion that you shouldn’t try to use much logic, this should be emotional. 12 cylinder Ferrari’s are glorious, you are correct.

That is stated with the caveat that money isn’t an issue. Which car do you love more. They are both awesome, which do you love?

Robb likes this.
  4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Theoretically, the price divide between the 599 and the F12 should narrow over time, as the 599 must be getting somewhat close to the bottom of the depreciation curve (local dealer has one for $133k albeit with 14k miles), so why not spring for the 599 now and you can always "upgrade" to the F12 as age and the 812 (and beyond) drives the F12 price lower?

Veloce12 and Robb like this.
  5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Better to drive a 599 now than wait for an F12. They have about bottomed in price, so you will not lose much while saving for an F12.

Veloce12, Skidkid, Robb and 2 others like this.
  6. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Buy now, cruise around in a V12 .

MRY likes this.
  7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #7 Nospinzone, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Wait and get what you really want. You regret settling for less.

And btw, just as Mona Lisa Vito testified that no one could ever, ever confuse a Buick Skylark with a Corvette, no one could ever, EVER confuse a F12 with a Corvette. ;)

8. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I am biased as I bought a 599 last year. Not a single regret and it always put a giant smile on my face. Enjoy the NOW moment instead of waiting for the depreciation curve of the F12 dictate your next move.

9. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    I was in similar position and went for the 599 which was exactly in the spec I would have ordered. I have no regrets. Whilst the F12 is a better car and the 812 is better than the F12 which is how Ferrari is, the replacement is better the 599 has been reliable and has never disappointed me. I no longer yearn for the F12 as I did at first. You will not regret if you purchase the 599. Prior to purchase I had plenty of seat time in an F12 so I know the differences between the two. The extra cost of the F12 for me does not provide any extra enjoyment. I invested the difference and the return pays the running costs of my 599 so I could not be happier.I also did a full HGTE upgrade well worth the cost and I enjoy my 599 a lot more after the HGTE upgrade. The upgrade provides a noticeable improvement plus fabspeed secondary cat delete which provides more aural delight as well as some extra hp.

Life is uncertain and short, do you really want to continue waiting for your Ferrari to arrive?

10. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Taz has this one right[as usual], buy the 599, it is a great car and there are many low mileage examples out there. I think it looks better than the F12. I just sold my 599 with 42000 miles. Original clutch showed about 50% wear. Brakes essentially unworn. Ball joints need replacing periodically so they don't rattle. it was a great car. My F12 is better, no doubt, but not as good looking. Still, I had the 599 for 9 years and wanted to try something else. I didn't make the change because I was unhappy with the car, I loved it. I vote for Grigio Silverstone with Cuoio interior. DRIVE IT.
    Malcolm

randkin, MRY and Potenza430 like this.
  11. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    599...looks so much nicer. I don't know why but I never warmed up to the F12. I haven't driven either one so my opinion is solely based on aesthetics.

12. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I guess I am in the minority but I think the F12 is way better looking, has an updated interior and 100 more hp.

F12 all the way!

Boomhauer and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  13. JRM1961

JRM1961 Rookie

Jan 27, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jeffery R. Maynard
    Well, I just bought my 599 so I am totally biased, but in person the car is amazing and the power and sound addicting. They are both beautiful cars but I enjoy the subtleness of the 599 for me it harkens back to Ferraris of the past! Did I mention I'm partial to Grigio Silverstone? Not sure you could make a bad decision on this one. Good luck!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Congrats beautiful car!

omdehoek and JRM1961 like this.
  15. aaronrgonz

aaronrgonz Karting
    Miami 2018

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales

Don't necessarily like the corvette comparison but I do agree that the 599 GTO is a slightly better looking car. I think the front end of the F12 is a lot meaner than that of the 599, but I give the edge to the backend of the 599.

16. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    This

Sent from my 16M

17. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    At this point of my life and cars all being far better than my driving skill and I don’t track cars any more, I tend to opt for the cars that appeal to my aesthetics. There will always be something more powerful and faster. Currently I think all the cars are pretty reliable so why not get the best car you can currently afford now? If you see something you like better you can always trade up. As others have said the 599 is likely near a depreciation low assuming a constant economy so I don’t see so much down side on the 599.

JRM1961 likes this.
  18. Rowan

Rowan Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    They are both nice looking cars regardless - you will be happy with either.

What will determine you long term happiness - depreciation, cost, reliability, and fun factor.

Good luck with what ever your choice is.

19. gstudent

gstudent Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    Westlake Village
    Full Name:
    Gene
    I have had a 599HGTE since new. Not one regret and now as I look at 812’s I cannot bring myself to part with the 599. Based on the horsepower alone I would but the overall experience I have enjoyed will not allow me to sell or trade it. Guess I will just have to buy the 812 and add to stable

20. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yes especially good cars are very addictive and are really hard to part with. The problem for me is garage space. When I use storage facilities they get out of the driver rotation and far less use.

21. F50gta

F50gta Rookie

Jul 8, 2008
    Orono, MN
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    599 Now, buy it, drive it, enjoy.

Skidkid likes this.
  22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I just had the good fortune to drive my friend’s F12 and 599 back to back through some canyon roads. He drove my Speciale.
    I first stepped into the F12 and noticed that the DCT was very smooth. Power was linear but the car felt a bit heavy in turning compared to the Speciale. Stock exhaust sounded a bit quiet to me.
    Then, I slid into the 599 and felt the nostalgic leather envelop me. On startup, the car rumbled louder than the F12. Immediately extracted full power and felt invigorating gear shifts, as if spooling up, and then bang. Exhaust note deeper and more louder than the F12. 599 felt very nimble for its weight. Well balanced and very much point and shoot. I was extremely impressed and now it’s on my radar.
    View attachment 2695667
    View attachment 2695668
    View attachment 2695669

Sent from my 16M

23. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    ^^^^^
    Edward, you are being somewhat of a tease posting attachments and not giving permission to view them.:(
    "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

plastique999 and 599_GTO like this.
  24. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
  25. Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil Karting

Jan 2, 2016
    Lucerne, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Marc Brunner
    Veloce12, EP328 and plastique999 like this.