85 TR History, anyone know the car? #58819 | FerrariChat

85 TR History, anyone know the car? #58819

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by c4b4the04, Apr 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Hi all,

Long time lurker in the shadows, long time supporter of club level performance driving events for FCA. My name is Cassidy and I am in the market for a monodado TR (I know, I know, there are no tires left on green earth!). Prefer monospecchio and I have a very mechanical background for servicing and engineering parts. I have every intention once I source a car to make EVERY one of my designs in CAD, 3D models and schematics available to the community for public use. It is my belief that times gives us knowledge and that I may be able to help others keep these bella rossa's running for another generation.

Now to my question....I am interested in a moderate priced/solid car. Not perfect, not Coppa GT class but driver condition. I am not worried about belt services but I do worry about a junker. I hear that IAG is not the most reputable of places and I fear the car I am interested in may be from their current iteration....

Any idea the history of this car in FL or wherever it may have been?

http://smclassiccars.com/ferrari/55054-1985-ferrari-testarossa-tr-monospecchio-single-flying-mirror-us-model-collector.html

Any info you can offer is most helpful. Full vin is ZFFSA17A5F0058819

Ciao,

Cassidy

FCA Motorsports Safety Foundation Level II Certified Instructor
    Classroom HPD Instructor, Empire Region FCA
    VA DMV/DOT Certified Driving Instructor
    Former CI Northern Virginia Corvette Club

turbo-joe likes this.
  2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    welcome Cassidy to the flat 12 community

unfortunately I can not help you with informations. may be next time when you need technical advice?

c4b4the04 likes this.
  3. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Welcome first of all.

Is IAG still around? I swear that car was for sale back when I was in the market.

What parts are you thinking of making?

c4b4the04 likes this.
  4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Welcome!

As I understand it, Florida cars are more prone to rust, flood and mildew damage, Title washing is said to be relatively easy there as well.

I’d be extra careful with ANY car that has spent time in Florida.

Hopefully Shamile or others will chime in if my Florida fears are unfounded.

California is still the best source for a good 30 year old car!

Jakuzzi and c4b4the04 like this.
  5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I think texas also is good, but not so many to choose from

c4b4the04 and vincenzo like this.
  6. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Well I did a bit more digging and I think I will pass on this example.....

As for parts I would like to make, much will depend on what is needed. I have the ability to produce electrical parts like the fuse panel using Military-spec relays. They are heavy duty and wouldn't ever fail. I would like to reproduce the ball that mounts atop the mirror adjuster. I'm sure there are a few tools that I will CNC machine out and I am happy to offer the parts files. My thought would be to offer all of my digital files for free to people. I have access to a full shop with a carbon fiber 3D printer which should prove handy for any missing pieces.

I suppose I should ask here too....if you know of an early monospecchio that needs some love, keep me in mind! I don't mind traveling to inspect a vehicle, nor does an undocumented car. I look forward to contributing on the technical side of the house for these beautiful cars. When I was modifying Corvettes for road race competition, I designed and shared a lot of heater box parts, cooling system pieces, aerodynamic bits and lots of detail trim pieces for fire suppression systems.

Cassidy

vincenzo and raysur like this.
  7. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    I doubt it. I think that website is just a Russian aggregator of old car ads (no collusion ;)).

I bought perhaps one of the last cars from them, with a bad experience, and had someone in Arizona, who had also purchased a car from them, contact me a few months later. According to him, Stu and Artie (owners of IAG) just started buying and buying and buying Testarossas when the market went up like crazy. The market then dropped and they were left holding a large inventory of Testarossa that were worth much less than they had paid for them.

8. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hold out for an '87 or early '88. Still single lug wheels, no TRXes, and they put the mirrors in the right place! :)

9. Jay R

Jay R Karting
    BANNED

Oct 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    James R 12345
    Odd website. No prices on any cars and I don’t recognize any of the cars being for sale elsewhere.

10. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Well, auction results came back and it DID meet reserve. I just wasn't comfortable with not knowing anything on the car. Sold for a modest 77k. About fair with 45k miles? I thought it was.

Thanks folks, search goes on. Headed to Watkins Glen to instruct for FCA this week. Maybe there will be a lead there.....

Cassidy

11. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    I would say you are being too general. There are bad dealers and people everywhere and not limited to Florida. There are 23 million people living here after all.

12. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #12 vincenzo, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    My words refer to Florida’s bad consumer protection laws, the ease of title washing as well as its routine flooding and humidity.

Quite the opposite of California - extreme consumer protection laws, very difficult to wash a title, little flooding and no humidity.

Got a flooded car?

Send it to Florida and sell it there... ez pz