USA FERRARI F40 | Page 163 | FerrariChat

USA FERRARI F40

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by joe sackey, Jul 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I've read it in several places, but this past weekend verified it with John Levy at Ft. Lauderdale during our visit to the Palm Beach Boat Show. John said at one time the factory said Shelton sold more F40s than all the other stores combined. John's such a neat guy, and thanks to him we know the details on Julies car. He sold it twice, I think it's had 4 owners according to him. We have a lot of original parts plus a larger spare seat.

of2worlds likes this.
  2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I did some checking and it appears the Tipo USA F40 came with just one (1) seat size, whereas the European/Rest of the World cars could be specced in two (2) seat sizes, or so I'm made to understand about the latter.

I know John Levy quite well, as we do Ferrari Supercar business together, so I reached reached out to him to compare notes with him and he responded in keeping with my findings that he did not ever recall the USA F40s as having multiple seat sizes.

To underscore this, the parts manual and corresponding numbers show just one seat size for the USA F40.

Rifledriver and of2worlds like this.
  3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #4053 joe sackey, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    We are looking for an excellent USA F40 for a USA-based client, the parameters are that the car has to be under 10,000 miles and on-the-ground in the USA, no accident or adverse history, privately-held and not currently advertised for sale or coming to auction (we know all those cars), so if you are an owner of an F40 and is considering selling, please reach out ASAP and contact me offline directly at [email protected] or (714) 928 5626

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Interesting, I obviously misunderstood.

joe sackey likes this.
  5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #4056 joe sackey, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    We are looking for an excellent USA F40 for a USA-based client, the parameters are that the car has to be under 10,000 miles and on-the-ground in the USA, no accident or adverse history, privately-held and not currently advertised for sale or coming to auction, so if you are an owner of an F40 and is considering selling, please reach out ASAP and contact me offline directly at [email protected] or (714) 928 5626

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Years ago there was a 700 mile F40 advertised for sale in California that nobody seemed to want. Perhaps the asking price was too high at that time. If I recall correctly it was a 1990 model; just out of curiosity what happened to that car?
    Is there a pecking order to the three model years that the F40 USA versions were sold? Some buyers would only look at the 1992 version...

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I recall that 700-mile car, it only had those miles indicated, but it looked like it was a 70,000-mile car!

It required much TLC, which it subsequently received after we sold it.

It all comes down to miles, condition, originality, maintenance, history & provenance of any 1990/1991/1992 F40, we'll consider any year.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    in 1990 they were still figuring things out in production
    in 1991 they had everything nailed down
    in 1992 they were rushing to finish production and using interns off the street to help

i own a 1991 - no idea how true any of that is but thats what i was told.

VetroresinaNL and of2worlds like this.
  10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Not exactly.

Tipo USA F40s were tight out of the box, Ferrari SpA made sure of that as they didn't want issues with USA DOT or EPA as team project member John Amette has emphasized, 1990s are really good (I've owned 2, awesome quality), as are 1991s (I've owned 1, also superb quality), some 1992s suffer some paint quality issues, we've seen this in several instances.

FWIW, the interns drafted on to the production line in 1992 were not off the street, they were from Modena area Automotive Polytechnic institutions, and, this was because of local Trade Union labor disputes, they were not rushing to finish production.

In fact, by the time 1992s landed, many orders had been cancelled or reneged on due the effects of a worldwide recession, and some cars sat in showrooms for many months up to a year.

Great cars bring good results, this one underscores what I have said for 15 years, USA F40s generally bring much more than Eu/ROW F40s, after all, there are only 211 USA cars as opposed to 5 times as many Eu/ROW cars.

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    1990 Ferrari F40 85269, the 11th Tipo USA F40 built, assembly number 02567, standard Rosso 300/9 with Rosso nomex, matching-numbers, original-paint, two-owner F40 with just 4,253 miles, Classiche Certified, it has all books, tools, and in factory-delivered original specification.

Sold by Joe Sackey Classics to the current California owner @ 11 years ago, meticulously maintained by Ferrari Newport Beach

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Great opportunity. I actually love the US F40 spec. Share more pics if you can, Joe.

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I will do so at the earliest opportunity.

15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    "Like" seems an inadequate tribute to describe this super example of the USA spec F40! Especially at this late date, some eighteen years on...

titangolf and joe sackey like this.
  16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    titangolf and of2worlds like this.
  17. titangolf

titangolf Karting

May 25, 2010
    Looking for a seat and misc. seat parts for a US spec F40. Let me know if anyone has a seat or parts available, or if you know of a good source.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005

Marcel Massini

modena06, of2worlds and joe sackey like this.
  20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Agree 100%. I was in the dealer working on them from the beginning and have never figured out this wives tale about differences in "quality" for lack of a better word based on year of production. I don't know how it started but its not fact based. US cars benefited greatly from the homologation delay. A lot of additional development went into them that didn't go into the others.

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The Tipo USA cars are pretty solid, all you have to do is take care of them.

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    84977, one of the very first customer-delivered Tipo USA F40s, which we sold to a SVP of Apple @ 5 years ago.

This car lit the Ferrari Supercar fire and since then we've sourced 288 GTO, F50 and Enzo for him as well.

But it's interesting he went for the F40 first, before the others

23. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Eddy Cue?

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk