512M engine in a Testarossa | Page 10 | FerrariChat

512M engine in a Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Nov 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks guys it really transformed this car and the sound is to die for! The fuchs exhaust with test pipes and the M engine sounds nuts. I need to do a drive by and post a video somehow. For some reason the car is loud outside even just idling but toned down a lot in the cabin, it must have much better sound deadening no resonance and not tiring. The boxers in comparison are loud inside. On-coming cars that reflect the sound back tells me how loud it is to people outside but its also a magnificent sound with instant torque.

2. Tomcattmatt

Tomcattmatt Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Great work Paul! Please post a video of the sound!

Is it possible to add the I titanium connecting rods to a TR engine?

Also what is the redline of an M?

Thanks!

Matt

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    512M spec is 7500RPM, so it says on line and I set the rev limit at that. The testarossa engine says 6300RPM on line but 6750RPM on the tach. Safe to say almost 1000RPM more and a claimed 448HP. I may get a chance to dyno it before it ships out but if not ill be using my Gtech to get an idea. I want more than 448.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I have a video! How do I post it here?

5. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I am no expert Paul, however, I believe that you will need to post the video to a site like YouTube and then download here or simply provide the link.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #231 Newman, May 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLEXzejnlHQ[/ame]

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8zA0qME548]IMG2527 - YouTube[/ame]

Wild turkey crossed the road behind me, glad it wasnt 10 seconds earlier!

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wa2ZWN49J4]512M engine in a Testarossa - YouTube[/ame]

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank for those 3 videos, but we can not see if this is really the car you modified or just an other :) :)

it sounds goodi, not too loud but still noisy

may be you could take some video from running engine with open rear hood and some details? not that I don´t believe you but it would be interesting to watch such a technical video.

10. 53ford

53ford Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    No conspiracy happening.That's my car with a new motor and a new muffler etc. With iphone audio that's about as good as one could expect. Sounds super to me. It'll be loud enough to have little old ladies diving for trash bins on main street if I floor it. Mission accomplished. Thanks for a great job again Paul!

11. Testarossa1

Testarossa1 Karting

Jun 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Awesome !!! What a fantastic project on a true legend ! Well done Paul that is a work of art

Thanx for posting up the videos buddy

Tr boy

12. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Paul, I love the second video of the car driving by.

Question, I hear popcorn popping as you let off the gas on all the videos, is that the muffler or the set up ? Were you and the owner going for that ? If one wanted to delete that popping on deceleration , can you ?

Im digging that exhaust, I'm assuming it has no cats ?

13. 53ford

53ford Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    Factory headers, test pipes.

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The sound is unburned fuel in the exhaust when rpm is between 3500 and 2500 with zero throttle, flames can be seen at the time of the crackling / popping sound which is pretty cool. Some people like it some don't, Im not overly fond of that sound but what you cant hear in the video (because the car is so far away) is the sound of the engine / exhaust as well. Sounds better in person. That said, I made some map changes so its now pretty much non-existant with just a hint of it now by choice. Its easy to add a lot or a little or none at all. Will a Testarossa with CIS pop? Not sure but if it does it could be next to impossible to adjust it out like I can on this car with a laptop.

The car has no converters or pre-cats.

15. 53ford

53ford Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    The car was loaded Monday afternoon and was delivered here in Alberta this morning (Friday). What a difference! The Fuchs exhaust is just right and the power increase is substantial. I always thought it was a bit of a dog for power before but it sure as hell isn't now. I put about 250 km on today, all of it with a big **** eating grin on my face. It sets you back in the seat in second gear like it used to in first gear, third and fourth pull like a deranged ox. What a blast! Aint no substitute for horsepower. Thanks for a job well done Paul. Gotta go,steaks to grill and beer to drink.

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    A deranged ox, that made me laugh! It sure does pull, I was impressed with the front end lift in forth when you get on it. It really is a great engine.

17. 53ford

53ford Karting

Nov 13, 2009
  18. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Killer thread. Really impressive on the work that was done.

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thank you!

The badazzz boxer M conversion was a different challenge but transformed both cars dramatically.

20. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Do we smell another project here Paul :D ?

21. JJR

JJR Rookie

Apr 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    JJR
    Hi Paul,
    I am reading this conversion with full interest. My testarossa engine just gone south, requiring left hand cylinder head, with no avail right now. Thinking of getting 512 tr engine. Wondering how did you wire up the old harness driving the instrument, aircon, alternator, etc, are they going back to connector c11? Are you in the USA Sir? Can I have your email address? I am wondering to know more about the installation, and would like to know, how much for the service of installing this engine. Thinkin of getting 512tr engine, complete with ecu, oem ignition coils and wiring harness from fuse box via rear seats, but don't know how to do it? Also how did you run the tachometer gauge, I saw in your post, that one white and black tdc, crank sensor have been deleted and you used the 2 crank sensors at the front, how do you wired that to drive the tacho gauge in the cabin? How do you get power for the efi ecu, ignition module, do you wire them up from connector to the black triangle box

22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Its a great upgrade for sure! I don't use the stock engine management system or wiring. Did the same in a boxer as well but had different challenges fitting it under the rear clam.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    Thats looking wonderfull. More pictures please

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001