Cost to reupholster dash/ seats/doors on 328? | FerrariChat

Cost to reupholster dash/ seats/doors on 328?

Discussion in '308/328' started by rocket50, Apr 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Any idea what kind of expense I am looking at to do this to a possible purchase? Want to stick to authentic Ferrari leather though.

Who does this type of work? F dealer or upholstery shop?

2. Baltz1969

Baltz1969 Karting

Apr 24, 2017
    Chula Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    Jose Baltz
    I've seen upholstery kits on eBay selling for about 3,500.00. I think the kits included the seats, center console and door panels

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

rocket50 likes this.
  3. Baltz1969

Baltz1969 Karting

Apr 24, 2017
    Chula Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    Jose Baltz
    rocket50 likes this.
  4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Had Vic from Vic‘s upholstery in Van Nuys California do my interior on an 82 GTS I like picked up. Came in around $7200 US extremely happy with the quality of work!

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The result is indeed what counts! Quality of work is probably the most important factor, and the number of hours or their cost come only second. The material itself is one thing, but finding the right person to do it would be my first worry.

Rgds

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sticking to authentic Ferrari leather is problematic in a few ways. It wasn't very good for one thing. Match the color and the grain. Forget authentic.

I am unaware of a Ferrari dealer in the entire North American continent with an in house upholstery shop. Cut out the middle man and take it to a good upholsterer.

Robb, furmano, Rosey and 2 others like this.
  7. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    No Authorised Ferrari dealer in the world would redo leathers seats on a 30 year old car. Once they can no longer order the completed seats or leather covers from the factory, you're own your own.

Find an good upholsterer through your local chapter of the Ferrari club.

8. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I had my '86 328GTS re-trimmed in 2014: seats, door panels, parking brake , and console but excluding head restraints and dash. I used the same upholsterer as often used by world class RX Autowerks on a number of award wining classic cars. The upholsterer was a true craftsman, UK trained. He used hides from Martrim in the UK. Required two large hides, diligently used, with nothing left over. It took about 60 hours to complete, albeit it was quoted and priced at fewer hours. The head restraints were redyed to preserve the embossed prancing horses. I was told that crafting a dye to emboss the head restraints would have increased the costs significantly and disproportionately to the overall cost, even without considering issues of licensing and copyright. As it turned out, there would have not been enough leather available to do the head restraints, so you might want to plan on three regular-sized hides if you plan to include the everything. The re-trim was excellent, The seams and stitch spacing were exact. There were some delays in receiving the hides and, once the hides were received, with other more significant work understandably taking precedence. I used FibreTech for the re-dye of the head restraints and was quite satisfied. So, maybe estimate 2 or 3 hides and 60 hours labor?

rocket50 likes this.