Engine control system failure light | FerrariChat

Engine control system failure light

Discussion in '612/599' started by RegW, Apr 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RegW

RegW Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    London
    On the highway cruising through Belgium for Easter holidays, suddenly the warning sign went on the dash - all is ruining fine - my guess a sensor that has failed / how urgent is it to go to a dealer to investigate in your view? Many thx!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    My US car did the same thing. Turned out to be oxygen sensors.
    Probably needs repair but on your schedule. I waited almost a year and 3K miles.
    Ferrari of Atlanta charged me $1001 US to replace them.

3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The warning light is normally indicating that a sensor on the engine has returned an impossible value, indicating that it’s faulty. The ecu will substitute the impossible value for a “safe” one, thus protecting the engine, but likely sacrificing performance. Quite how much performance can vary anywhere from virtually none, to a shed load.

I think you want to know what’s up. Get yourself a cheap 10 euro code reader. It will at least tell you what the fault is. Could be any one (or more) of hundreds, so it’s fairly pointless trying to speculate on the cause.

4. icelander47

icelander47 Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Mine just came on tonight in my 612. When I checked the gas cap was basically off. How do I get the light to go away?

5. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    By (let) resetting it. If the gas cap is off you get a check engine light. So put it back and reset the light

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G3121 met Tapatalk

6. RegW

RegW Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    London
    Thanks to all for your insights! I welcome a suggestion for the fault readers, avoiding pointless visits to the garages.

7. icelander47

icelander47 Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    How do you do that?

G. Pepper likes this.
  8. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Buy an OBD and then you will know what is happening.

9. RegW

RegW Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    London
    My gas cap doesn't operate with the button inside anymore - so that must be the cause per the previous posts. Let's see if somehow the system will be able to reset that over time - otherwise I know someone who will be pleased to see me again!

10. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Is the fuel door not operating or the gas cap? The fuel door will not cause a check engine light. The gas cap will.

11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Disconnect the battery to reset. Some cars like my 360 have a rotary switch for that, so check your manual.

12. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

The button inside just opens the gas door, if you have the cap on correctly the message will just go away.

13. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I’d much rather find out what the code is/was before resetting it. May well be nothing, but why wouldn’t you want to know?
    The engine fault light wasn’t just installed as a decoration.

Rifledriver and Skidkid like this.
  14. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    My OBD never coded but Ferrari of ATL found the O2 sensors were bad.

15. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Yeah but in this case there is a warning light, so there must be a trouble code stored. Any cheap obd reader will perform the basic function of telling you what the high level trouble code numbers are. If you’re not planning on doing anything complex, just buy a cheap code reader. For the $10 it’ll set you back, it’s a handy thing to have even if it is ultimately limited in functionality.

16. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Hi Robin, what budget OBD reader would you recommend? Any specific UK websites? Thanks! Sounds like a must have

17. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

Mine is a Foxwell set up for a 599 plug. Seems to work, the directions are more complicated than the unit.

18. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Thanks a lot George... will see if I can locate one (and avoid the instructions)!!!

19. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Thanks to Uncle Sam, you can buy literally any OBD2 scanner, and it will plug into your car over a standard socket, and will pull up any one of the “generic” trouble codes. Doesn’t mater if it’s a 2 quid Chinese cheapo, or a massively expensive Ferrari SD3.

Reading generic codes is the very bottom of the rung in terms of what functionality you might want. The more you pay, the more functionality you will get- anything from talking to airbag modules, coding in new hardware, setting up clutch engagement points, the list is vast. Unless you’re doing it for a living though, most people won’t use more than the basic reading and resetting of generic fault codes. I’d say it’s an invaluable tool to have at home. I actually keep one of the little Elm327 WiFi dongles you get now that allow you to talk to an app on your phone in each of my cars. They’re under a fiver and work a treat for reading faults and viewing live sensor data.

599_GTO likes this.
  20. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Love it, thank you Robin... this is extremely helpful and educational! Happy Easter

21. Rex71

Rex71 Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Jeddah,Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Majd B.
    Can some one post a pic of one of those cheap scanners while it is plugged in to the 599 OBD II connector.

I already have the Bluedriver and the ELM327, but I couldn't connect it yet because the place is very tight and i don't want to make any mistakes.
    Thanks.

22. RegW

RegW Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    London
    I bought an OBD2 scanner - the best rated according to Amazon for the budget- trouble is that I haven't found the plug in my 612 - is it under the dash or in the trunk?

23. F3RN4ND0

F3RN4ND0 Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    F3RN
    Me too.
    I have Bluedriver but been unable to connect.

24. RegW

RegW Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    London
  25. Rex71

Rex71 Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Jeddah,Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Majd B.
    Correct, but the Gray plastic bracket surrounding the OBD connector is preventing the scanner from being plugged.
    It seems that an extender is needed , did any one find a solution?