360 - 360 brakes question | FerrariChat

360 360 brakes question

Discussion in '360/430' started by I'm 360 Canuck, Apr 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I’m nearly done a brake job on my 360.
    Bleeding the last valve (drivers outboard screw) but not getting fluid out. The on-board one was a little plugged but I got it flowing by taking out the screw, cleaning it and finally poking into the caliber to free up the plug. But the outside one is dry. Any ideas? Can I shoot some compressed air into it? Any other next steps?

I should mention, it looks like the fluid hadn’t been changed in a long time. Possibly since the blue stuff was used. So I’ve been running a lot of fresh fluid through the system.

Using a hand vacuum pump as I couldn’t get the motive device to seal on the master cylinder.

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It will seal but you need to buy the separate cap and make sure the rubber seal is on the cap. Bit good work.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  3. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    One other recommendation is to inspect the fluid reservoir. Made by Bosch and the plastic looks curiously like the material used in their fuel pumps. Mine deteriorated badly and the residue and plastic flakes gummed up calipers and ended up destroying the master cylinder seals. New tank is about $100. New master cylinder not so cheap!

4. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    If you take out the nipple completely, does any fluid come out? If yes, then you need to clean out the nipple. If not, then it could be the link pipe at the bottom of the caliper that is clogged.

With mine, I gravity bleed the calipers and it all comes out with no added pressure.

5. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff Grabowski
    There is a fluid cross over tube on these calipers. They are known to become plugged, especially if the fluid is older. You may need to remove this piece and clean out any gummed up fluid to restore flow.

6. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I had a stubborn to bleed caliper once on my 360. First of all, I also couldn't get a good seal on the Motive bleeder, so I bought a used cap for the brake fluid reservoir. I sent the cap to Motive, and they retrofit the fitting/hose onto it for free!
    It worked great after that.
    So when I was bleeding them with approximately 12psi using the Motive bleeder, one of the calipers had trouble bleeding, it was dripping very, very slowly. I solved it by having my wife also push on the brake pedal while the bleeder screw was open. In other words, I was bleeding it the old fashioned way with a second person, but during this time, I ALSO had the positive pressure from the Motive bleeder. It worked like a charm!
    After that, I bled them for two or three consecutive years instead of every other year like I normally do. After the second year, the fluid flowed perfectly as if I never had a problem.

7. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Thanks guys.
    Got it sorted out. With the bleeder screw out, I still couldn’t see any fluid in the caliper.
    So I had my kid pump the brakes and hold the pedal (old school bleeding), while I had the vacuum pump on the bleeder screw...I guess you can blow and suck at the same time ;)
    Got about 3/4 cup of fluid out this way, but took awhile getting it going.
    Should be ok now.
    Wheels are back on, pedal is firm ;)

8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Glad you got it fixed!
    Just make sure you flush again next year, then you can confirm that all the old gooey fluid is all out. Then continue with every other year minimum.
    These cars need brake flushes every 2 years!
    You dodged a bullet this time.