Battery Shield Questions | FerrariChat

Battery Shield Questions

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by BillN, Apr 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillN

BillN Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2008
    Farmington Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bill Nichols
    Hi, I discovered at last years FCA judging that my 1998 550 was suppose to have a battery heat shield around the front and inboard side of the battery.
    I ordered the part and am about to install it when I realized, I wasn't sure if it is suppose to be a silver, raw metal finish, or painted black. I have looked at photos online in ads for cars and it appears it should be black but then then tech at the local dealer seemed to recall it as silver. I could not find a factory photo of this part.
    I would like this forum's input.
    Secondly, I presume it fits on top of the battery hold down strip that runs along the forward edge of the battery , as it uses the same nuts to hold it in place, can you confirm that to be the case and not that it fits under the retention bracket?
    Thanks,
    Bill

2. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It seen to be either stainless steel or some kind of chromed/plates finish, not black. I don’t remember how it is attached...

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Early 550 had no heat shield. Later cars had polished stainless heat shield and 575 had fragile aluminized foam heat shield.

4. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    When we installed an Interstate battery in our 575M, we did have to do some minor cutting and fitting of the foam shield with very satisfactory results.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have in the past just wrapped it as well as possible and tape it off in the back.

6. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My 550 did not have a heat shield when I bought it. It now seems to be unobtainium. So I cut out a section of a Styrofoam cooler and inserted that piece between the battery and the overflow tank. (My C5 Corvette has a special enclosure around the battery to solve the same problem.)

7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Did you check with Ricambi America?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    171903 angle bracket is unavailable. Could always make one. But then could make 178884, too. Also, the tie rods are $65 each.

@Rifledriver 's proposal to wrap the battery makes sense.

9. BillN

BillN Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2008
    Farmington Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bill Nichols
    Thanks for the feedback, my car is after the breakpoint, so I will install the shield unpainted.