Maranellos are disappearing | Page 40 | FerrariChat

Maranellos are disappearing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by intrepidcva11, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    How dare you post facts!!!

Bluebottle and Red575 like this.
  2. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    The 12 cylinder GT is Ferrari’s most iconic series in their history so distinctions within that range are historically more significant than changes to other series i.e Mondial, so not all distinctions are equal. The shift from the 550(575) to the 599 was not evolutionary but a dramatic shift in performance and technology making it a very different car from then on. The 550 offers elements of a classic car feel and traditional styling with modern day performance levels. It is a car distinctly different from the series that came before or after. I think years from now the 550 will be viewed similarly to the Daytona.

3. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    You can't get hysterical over auction results, honestly. Unless we are talking about true collectors items (in this case Enzo-era cars and a select few 70's-2000's cars), people still go to auction looking for a deal and will stop bidding once their definition of "deal" has been exceeded, I don't care what kind of car or what house it is. Just about all relatively recent production cars (except maybe a manual 575) will not fare well at auction, so I think the moral of the story is don't sell them there unless you absolutely MUST. I really wouldn't buy an exotic at auction, and I'm part owner of an auto auction, so I've had a few chances :)

4. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

With this list a pecking order exists. Price is set by supply and demand.

The gated box was important to me when I looked for another car. I have never owned a 'fun' car without a manual box. Quite a few F owners actually prefer an automatic. My dd, has a manual 6spd transmission.

5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I have to say, having the 456M GTA with its four speed automatic at COTA was a hoot. There was a go pedal, and there was a slow pedal, the car handled neutral all the way to the limit, and then it would push and scrub off speed. I don't think I could have spun it if I tried. The best combination of competent and forgiving you could imagine. Pretty good soundtrack too. :)

ralfabco and paulchua like this.
  6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky

Red575 likes this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Correct, however, bradwilliams thesis was the 'last of' doesn't mean squat.

Let's look at your list:
    Ferrari California - last gated Ferrari - Sold for $435,000
    Ferrari F12 - last Pinanfarina Ferrari - not exactly true..."The Ferrari Design Center continues to work with Pininfarina on special projects" besides, this only matters if their future cars are ugly or there is something binding that says they can never ever work together again.
    Ferrari 458 - last NA V8 Ferrari - nope that would be the Speciale and I see they are holding their value, I truly believe they will be worth more than any 488 derivatives outside the Pista.
    Ferrari F8 - last non-hybrid V8 Ferrari - correct, as to it's affect on desirability, we don't know yet.
    Ferrari 550 - last gated V12 Ferrari (nope - that would be the 575...have you saw selling prices lately?)
    Ferrari F40 - last gated V8 turbo Ferrari - correct and they are expensive.
    Ferrari F512 - last flat 12 Ferrari - correct, and have you seen the price of a F512M vs say a TR?

Next 3 are styling subjectiveness and could change in the future, so can't be 'last of'
    Ferrari LaFerrari - last good looking LE Ferrari - 100% subjective
    Ferrari F430 - last “name printed on side mirror” Ferrari - c'mon...
    Ferrari 456 - last good looking four seat Ferrari - 100% subjective

The next two is really stretching, might as well said last Ferrari with Halogen lights, or last Ferrari with 5-speed manual.
    Ferrari 575 - last steel space frame Ferrari -
    Ferrari 612 - last single-clutch F1 Ferrari -

This is the only thing I 100% agree with you as a true 'last' of that people couldn't care squat about. Understandably so, most people don't care about '2+2' on the contrary, I would argue most saw it as a liability and not a benefit.
    Ferrari Mondial - last mid-engine 2+2 Ferrari

Themaven likes this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Don't worry about bradwilliams, I see he's up to his normal putting down the 550 (as long as he's not selling one of course, then it's the greatest thing on earth). I agree with others here though, don't buy these cars as investments, but I also don't think the 550 6 speed is not a special car either.

9. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Nope again, it would be the 599. And the selling prices of manual ones of those are even higher than the 575s.

paulchua likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You're absolutely right, my error. I forgot about those 30. Appreciate you correcting me.

mchas likes this.
  11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Then again we could also consider 'the first' to be somewhat interesting.

e.g First mid engine 2 seater V8. ;)

paulchua likes this.
  12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Or the first and last, the one and only, the truly wonderful, V6 - Dino!! Probably the greatest Ferrari ever built!!!:):):)

paulchua likes this.
  13. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    #988 JimmyChooToo, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Pininfarina said that was their best work on a four seater. The last single clutch F1 is hardly like halogen headlights. The Lexus LFA chose it over a dual clutch (for weight, sound, feel, & reliability). Aventador as well. The Aventador SVJ holds the Nurburgring record with it. As for the 550/575 being the next Daytona, I’ll believe it when the Superamerica prices start moving.

Also, that gated California price seems too low.

14. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    In my opinion, the prices on a number of the above cars is more as a result of low build numbers than the "last of" aspect:
    California manual (<10)
    575 manual (<250?)
    F512M (500)

The one where the "last of" keeps constantly coming in my conversation is the 458 Speciale. and It doesn't hurt that it is a very good car in its own right, justifying the strong values.

paulchua likes this.
  15. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Gated California? Where???

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #991 paulchua, Apr 15, 2019
    Yup, since Pininfarina said it - that means it is objective truth. Yes, the last single clutch F1 is better than DCT, in fact all future Nurburginring records will always be won by the single clutch. 550/575 is the next Daytona? Yup I said that.

Also, thank for the clarification, I went back and did some research on halogens. They are cheaper, lighter, and easier to install than LEDs Also they don't need cooling like LEDs. So I judged too quickly. I will be on the lookout for that, along with the name printed on the side mirror, and for for the last single clutch for investments.

You win, I lose. btw you a friend with a guy named noone1? and at least I see you agree with me on the Cali, let me guess, cuz you own one?

17. someguy

someguy Rookie

Nov 3, 2012
    #992 someguy, Apr 15, 2019
    [​IMG]

Halogen headlights are lighter, easier to replace, and less complicated. Some cars in the 90s used non projector halogen headlights to save weight and other cars such as the land cruisers kept halogens for a long time because of reliability. That doesn't mean it's better, just that some poeple will prefer halogen just like some will prefer single clutch automated manuals (usually lambo people). I think in the future people that prefer single clutch automated manuals over DCT and/or 3 pedal manuals will be in the minority.

paulchua likes this.
  18. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Where is it for sale? What is the asking?

19. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Interesting

During two brisk runs after downshifting - the red square light in the middle of the gauge cluster illuminated. Hood or boot warning light.

She likes the top end.

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Barry, your bring up true point. I pondered a bit...what non superfluous feature is ''last of' yet built in appreciable numbers, that had a very positive effect on the cars' bonafides?

Then two words came into focus.

'Air Cooled'

:)

BarryK likes this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Someguy, you made me think a bit more about the SC vs DC. I think I overreached a bit, I agree in the future some folks will like the 'ka thunk' feel (ala Scud) - and I don't mean this facetiously. So, to jimmychoo above, a mea culpa on my part; but then makes the scud/612 OTO that much more cooler, which supports my main point yet again.

I still stand by the fact that certain 'last of features' are extraneous. (Last metric wheels, last non-dimming mirror, last plastic gear knob, etc...)

22. someguy

someguy Rookie

Nov 3, 2012
    I thought you just wanted to see a gated one, my apologies. Don't know of any for sale.
    No worries. I agree with you that people are getting pretty ridiculous with "last of" comments as well as narrowing down their car to be the "only one with black paint, red interior, racing seats, yellow tach, red brakes, produced in june of that year".

paulchua and Bradwilliams like this.
  23. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

To say the least. It is simply people practicing cognitive dissonance, nothing more. Anyhow, I've always said that the first gen california will be a dirt cheap ferrari in the future, is beautiful and would be great to have in a manual with a rear seat delete (if that was an option, not sure if it was). I knew they made a handful as they were the final ferraris with the manual trans. I figured it would be fun to buy one on the cheap in the future and see if you can get a swap in there. Not a fan of the newer gens. I just really like that front facia. It almost has a british look to it with the smiley face.

someguy likes this.
  24. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I think we'll take that as a compliment! ;)

paulchua likes this.
  25. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Hey, my 360 stick is the next-to-last manual, one of 22 with a sunroof, and one-of-two in yellow. I'll offer it for... $246K! :)

someguy and paulchua like this.