hypreflows and low cat efficiency codes | FerrariChat

hypreflows and low cat efficiency codes

Discussion in '348/355' started by emac, Apr 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    1996 spider 6spd with Tubi headers, hyperflow cats and stock exhaust. All new o2 sensors. I have had this setup for a while, but I honestly haven't driven many miles and very few (if any) trips over 30 miles. Yesterday I went about 60 miles on the interstate (in pouring rain) very easy driving. When I pulled off the interstate and slowed the CEL came on. Pretty sure I recall a pending code years ago when I first put these on, so I guess it finally upgraded to a CEL. The code is both banks, low cat efficiency.

Did some reading last night and this seems to be a common issue. A read about a few fixes:
    1. reset CEL and dont worry about it
    2. Post cat o2 extenders
    3. add ground wire from o2 sensor body to a ground
    4. OEM cats

OEM cats are out for now. I dont mind resetting, but would like a work around. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on the ground wire or 02 extenders.

Other than the pouring rain, CEL, flat spotted front tires, and no A/C the car ran great! These things punish you when you let them sit!!

FWIW, the clutch pedal had a tiny "bump" right at the top of the release. It was very smooth except the very last bit. I had just flush the fluids, and didnt see any leaks. I gently eased back the master boot and squirted a tiny bit of lube on the shaft. Fixed it.

Thanks guys.

2. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I have stock headers, hyperflows, and capristo and have never had that code.
    Im just thinking out loud, the lack of prior driving, plus cool rain, and then the added fact of you babying it because of the rain... the cats may have never heated up enough to work.
    Reset the code, take it for a drive and just beat on it a little. that will clean out the cats of any soot and I bet the code wont come back.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    These will do it:

Extender on rear O2 sensors, and ground wires to the rear O2 sensors.

Beetle, JSBMD, ernie and 1 other person like this.
  4. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I was kind of thinking that until I read about others having an issue. I had the wife in the car, so I really never got to open things up like I normally do. If extenders and a ground wire will work, that would be nice.

Anyone have a link to the extenders? I read about getting some angled ones for clearance. The link I found on an old thread was dead.

Found these: https://shop.redline360.com/collections/all/megan-racing-check-engine-light-eliminator

5. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    #5 drbob101, Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Sorry Earnest just saw your post and emails.

I’m not sure the ground wire did it for me or the extenders or both. I would go ahead and do both and see what happens.

I’ll find the link for the ones I used but I know fabspeed has some and others as well

http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/

This is what I have. They are minicats not just tubular extenders. Have small catalytic converters in them

ernie likes this.
  6. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
  7. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Earnest I don’t cat cat efficiency codes now. Of course that may change but I haven’t had them since installing big daddies a few years ago

8. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Are you using the Big daddie O2 mini cat? Any fitment issue with them being straight? Thanks.

9. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Biggdaddies are cheap and worked for me. Tubi headers & test pipes.

I hadn’t heard about the ground wire technique. That’s interesting.

10. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Yes I am anno issues with hyper flows

11. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Thanks guys, I am going to order some Big Daddies and give them a try.

12. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    You just may have slow responding O2 sensors, check them per standard tests

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks for the tip!

14. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    1999 5.2 with OEM headers, Hyperflow cats and Tubi exhaust. I resolved these cat inefficiency codes with the L-shaped extenders. Installation is a bit tight. I wanted mine angled up on both banks so any condensation would run down away from the O2 sensors.

15. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Those are a bargain!!! Thanks for sharing!

16. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    It’s amazing the cost reduction when the product isn’t specifically targeted to Ferrari owners.

ernie likes this.
  17. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I was same as Dr Bob
    Minicat extenders post and no need for ground wires curred it 10 plus years ago

ernie likes this.
  18. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I had plain extenders on the rear O2 sensors with my Hyperflows and they worked just fine with no CEL but it became a problem when I had to have the car pass an emissions inspection to register the car. The reason there was no CEL was due to the inability of the OBD II system to ever ready enough I/M monitors because of the extenders. Due to the not ready state of the onboard diagnostics the emissions test station could not interrogate the OBD II system so the car failed the inspection.

My only option was to remove the extenders to allow the monitors to get to a ready state and then the low catalyst efficiency codes set and the CEL came on. Of course now that I had a CEL the car would not pass an emissions inspection retest so I had to do something with the cats. I ended up having to remove the Hyperflows and install some aftermarket EPA certified cats with the O2 sensors installed normally without extenders. With only one drive cycle enough I/M monitors were set for the OBD to start reporting and no CEL came on so it was back to the emissions test station to have the car pass with no problems. After passing the retest I swapped the Hyperflows with O2 sensor extenders back in and put the EPA certified cats in storage until the next time my car needs an emissions inspection.

The only reason I brought all this up was just to warn anyone that is required to pass an emissions inspection that the car will not pass with Hyperflows and O2 sensor extenders installed. You might be able to get by with the mini-cat extenders but you would have to see if they allow the I/M monitors to ready before taking the car for testing and if the test station does a visual inspection (which mine does) of your emissions equipment they will fail you when they see the extenders.

ernie and WATSON like this.
  19. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Was getting the same CEL on my car with heyperflows.
    Eight years ago (15,000 miles) I put these extenders in and have not seen the CEL again.
    I do get a pending code from time to time....but overall very happy. YMMV

ernie likes this.
  20. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I can't help but think they changed suppliers on the core material or something, I have had hyperflows with normally installed 02s and never a light or problem. I know our cars can vary some, but it seems the cats have very different behaviors.

21. thurman_merman

Jul 26, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My 98 was throwing inefficiency codes consistently until I put in O2 extenders. I went with the fabspeed because they have catalyst material in them and my (over)thinking was if the cats aren't efficient enough on their own non-catted extenders wouldn't solve the problem and I would always wonder if catted versions would have. So I bit the bullet, ordered them and I couldn't be happier with the result. $225 is cheaper than replacing the cats! Fabspeed headers, cats and stock muffler at the time, capristo now.

22. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I passed california emission consistently with the mini cat extenders.2006,2010,2012,2014,2016
    It all ways had all im monitors had check marks and were in their ready state

Car has had tubi headers, hyper flow cats, capristo exhaust, and mini cat extenders since 2006
    Before that it was stock.