348 major service - repair or replace? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 major service - repair or replace?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dalema, Apr 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The 348 water pump is particularly harder than the 308/328 and the 355.

2. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I remember reading somewhere about pressing the seal (or pressing something back together) and there is zero margin for error or it will leak.

Ferraripilot likes this.
  3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is one thing that is common among all WP rebuilds. The 348 water pump is used as a idle bearing on the timing belt and has an inverted pulley which is not intuitive to remove. When it fails, the timing belt goes kaput and the engine coughs up a valve or two. On the 308/328/355, when it fails, you see a puddle on the floor, steam coming off the engine bay, and you normally have time to pull over and shut it off. Those water pumps can also be changed with the engine in the car. Not so for the 348, its engine has to come out for that. Due to the higher risks of collateral damage and the engine out requirement and the new water pump being only $400, it is better just to replace the water pump every 10 years (every other engine out service).

Wade and AceMaster like this.
  4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Said one Ferrari designer to another, "hey, let's use the back of the timing belt to run the waterpump -- what could possibly go wrong?"
    Said another engineer sitting in a nearby cubicle, "If everything goes right, it's genius!"

Said the marketing guy, "No worries gentlemen! We only have a two year warranty on these cars anyway!"

baschul, Ryan..., ernie and 1 other person like this.
  5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Those are the same three guys who made the decision to drill through the oil pan twice to get to the gearbox? Yes, those three.

steved033 and ernie like this.
  6. Dalema

Dalema Rookie

Jun 21, 2018
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Matt Dale
    Thanks. You are talking about part 170787? Is that the HE bearing in the above Ricambi listing. Looks like they replaced that in my last major.

7. Dalema

Dalema Rookie

Jun 21, 2018
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Matt Dale
    Couple of questions:

- When I look up the TSB10-34 kit on Ricambi it also lists part 144488 (driven gear). Is that required by the TSB?
    - Should the oil pump be replaced while there - wasn't sure on what to look for on that or how long they should go?

8. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.

on the 144488, most of us have the fences welded instead of buying a new one.

sjd

Ricambi America likes this.
  9. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

144488 is certainly not 'required' as long as you have the capacity to properly weld the fences in place.

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Weld before buy, they are pressed on, even new ones. Tacked ones you wont have to worry about. Even if I bought new ones I would tack them. I tacked mine.

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    LOL. :)

12. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

13. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
  14. Dalema

Dalema Rookie

Jun 21, 2018
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Matt Dale
    Thoughts on if oil has made its way into the clutch housing at some stage. Definite penetration of the clutch plates, however, no noticeable clutch slip when driving. Seal it up and drive it until it’s slips or just replace?

15. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Take the clutch apart and clean it with brake cleaner, replace the triple seals, and check the condition of the flywheel (making sure the seal hasn’t gone and flung grease everywhere).