Apple carplay issue | FerrariChat

Apple carplay issue

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by odellicour, Apr 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum. I am 45, living in Belgium and I own a 2016 California Turbo. I did not find the generic post to present myself. If there is any, please let me know.

My first message will talk about apple carplay issues.

Several times, the infotainment screen would turn black. Music still ON. No more rear camera. No more display.
    Tried everything, from keeping the volume button down for 30 seconds to restarting the car, opening and closing doors etc etc.
    I only found one way out of it: unplug the battery without the charging cable connected (be ready for some alarm melody ! ). It reminds me of my first car a Fiat Uno which needed some battery disconnections from time to time.

After 3 times I decided it was time to go to my Ferrari dealer and ask for a more permanent solution.
    They suggested to update the firmware which they did, from v15.11.10 to 16.23.50. They told me it should correct the problem...

On my way back, the screen turned black while driving ! This was new indeed !

So I called them back and they asked me if the problem occured while the iphone was connected and if by any chance the phone battery was low. Yes and yes. Based on my answers they told me the system could not provide enough current through the USB port to charge the phone and manage the carplay at the same time (hardware issue) and Apple released too many device updates to follow on (software issue).
    I was not the only one with this issue and they asked me to isolate the problem by using the system without iphone connected, with bluetooth, with USB key, with bluetooth and USB. Everything went fine without Apple device connected.

The reason behind the failure of a 3.000€ option seems to be that Ferrari does not update their infotainment system quickly enough to cope with iphone devices updates. The last version available i.e. 16.23.50 is NOT compatible with iOs 12.x

So they will let me know when a new version is published by Ferrari without knowing for sure if it will work as Ferrari does not disclose what is in the update .

So think twice before you select the Apple carplay option...

whatheheck likes this.
  2. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    I have the same issue in my 2015 Cali T. Like you I have tried several things too. Sometimes turning the radio off and then back on after disconnecting the phone brought the display back but still no CarPlay. Other times it solves all the issues but not on the same drive! I also tried different cables. The frustrating thing is that it sometimes connects with no issues whatsoever but I have not yet isolated the precise scenario associated. I will keep experimenting.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    I would suggest trying:
    - phone fully charged as they mentionned the charging issue (not enough amps according to me)
    - no more iphone updates
    - Ferrari infotainment updates
    At one point the Ferrari updates will match your iOs version

Or... just switch to Android and forget forever about Apple (my choice)

4. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I don't get it... several thousand extra for the CarPlay which is free on most cars now, and it's not updated by the manufacturer. So after 2-3 years it'll not work. That's just unacceptable.

Graz likes this.
  5. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    That was my comment to the dealer. It s a shame

6. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Ferrari apparently knows no end to its blatant up charging on items that are “included” with other brands. I guess if buyers are stupid enough to pay 4G for CarPlay then they get what they deserve.

7. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I think the blame lies just as much with Apple, for forcing updates that break older devices that function perfectly well under older IOS systems ... both my 15 Audi and 13 Porsche have difficulty connecting with my iPhone now -- the Audi via Bluetooth and the Porsche via a USB cable. And it's doubtful that Ferrari itself engineers the radio, or the CarPlay portion of it, it's Clarion or whoever the OEM manufacturer is that should be making updates available.

8. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    @vjd3 good point. I guess we would not complain should the carplay option be free

9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I would still complain ; )

10. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    Excellent ! :D
    BTW did someone contacted Ferrari to complain ? Can we complain as a group ?
    My dealership asked me to send them a video of the issue, my iphone version, a description of the tests made etc to send to the headquarters.