2019 Indy Car | Page 4 | FerrariChat

2019 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Mar 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Rossi was written off as a fluke when he won the Indy 500, but he has definitely proven that he is the real deal.

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    It is interesting to see how Rossi compares with the other ex-F1 drivers currently in Indycar--recent arrivals Ericsson and Chilton but Sato and Bourdais as well. Alex has some serious chops.

JStone414 likes this.
  3. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    really enjoying watching Rossi's career. Looks like he is committed to IndyCar for the long term but it would be nice to see him back in F1 towards his peak in a competitive car. I don't think Bottas, Gasly, or Grosjean are any better than Rossi.

Terra, nathandarby67 and 375+ like this.
  4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I would be interested to hear Alonso's take on Rossi.

nathandarby67 likes this.
  5. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Rossi would have been more successful in F1 now, he was not ready when his name was called.

I'm happy the ex-F1 drivers are coming to Indy Car, makes the series better IMO.

nathandarby67 and JStone414 like this.
  6. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan

I’m telling you, Rossi is a real-deal wheelman. Dude can really sling it. His car control is just superb, if you watch his in-car videos from a given circuit and compare them to the other guys, often times he seems to be more on the edge and his hands are much busier, lots of opposite lock. He’s got the innate talent to be very aggressive with the car when needed. I’d say he’s probably as good or better than at least half the F1 field currently. I also agree that he was just too young and not quite ready in his first F1 stint, plus he was saddled with a relatively poor car.

I hope this new Rufus thing involves some serious ride swapping at some point. Would really love to see some of these guys in equal cars against some F1 stars.

Bas and GuyIncognito like this.
  7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

And sorry to say but he won't get a go in a top team in F1....Rossi is better of raking it in in Indycar, more races, better racing, results not as much dependent on car. Why swap the chance at winning every weekend for the chance at maybe get near a podium once in a blue moon.

Etcetera likes this.
  8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    That, and as we know, Americans can't drive racing cars.

Rossi was fortunate to have a taste of F1, however briefly, where even more deserving European
    champions like Tom Kristensen don't even get a look-in due to their media/business alliances which
    didn't line up with Bernie's interests.

Correct, if Rossi left Indy Car now for F1, it would be a huge mistake a-la Bourdais as he'd be
    relegated to a minnow team with no chance to win. He's better off in Indy Cars and doing the
    occasional appearance in sports cars.

BHW

9. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Especially if he's in line for that rumored Penske seat next year when Pagenaud gets booted out. The fireworks of a Team Penske of Newgarden/Power/Rossi will be result in two battles: against other teams and probably more interesting the battle between themselves of who is top dog.

375+ likes this.
  10. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Agreed on Rossi, it seems like that 500 win ignited a passion in him for IndyCar, prior to that he was seemingly lack luster about the whole thing. Chilton seems fairly hopeless, Ericsson has shown some pretty solid driving (especially for only a few races) but has made mistakes here and there that have hindered things. I'm looking forward to him ironing out the mistakes. Seemingly every bit as quick, if not more, than Hinch who I think is vastly overrated.

I get Dancing With the Stars made him the face of IndyCar but while his celebrity has increased his finishes have seemingly decreased.

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    James Hinchcliffe is a tough case. From Indy 500 pole one year to not qualifying at all the next.
    I mean, how does that happen? It would seem this guy could benefit from a change of teams.

Indy Car is flush with talented drivers. I point to Scott Dixon as one of, if not the, best drivers
    anywhere. And, it's interesting to see how many of them transition over to sports car during off
    weekends including Dixon, Bourdais, Hunter Reay, Rossi, etc.

BHW

Terra likes this.
  12. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Yes, but he will work out his problems on the dance floor. As for being a race car driver? I think that is determined by his willingness to forget the media and focus on being a race car driver. Some never get past the hype. Results speak volumes.

13. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Indy GP - Rosenqvist on pole, two rookies in the first two rows.

Looking forward to catching the race tomorrow after Barcelona Qualifying. A little rain could make things quite interesting. IndyCar really is good racing these days.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I prefer watching IndyCar to F1 right now. Mercedes 1-2 finishes and Ferrari making mistakes is not what I consider entertaining.

Nortonious and Sharknose like this.
  15. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Agree. Very exciting race in Indy so far. A little moisture spicing things up. And yet attendance is sparse. Of course they'll be full for the 500.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  16. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    This racing is outstanding.

Nortonious likes this.
  17. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    That was some of the best open wheel racing I've seen in a long time. Unreal.

Nortonious and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  18. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Great great racing. Too bad most people don't follow IndyCar. Their loss...

RWatters and Nortonious like this.
  19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The rain really upset some people's apple carts. At times Newgarden looked like he had a chance of winning, but where did he wind up? 18th?

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I can't get into spec car racing. I really liked Cart when teams developed their own cars and sourced and modified engines. What is seen cannot be unseen. Indy car racing was about innovation. Now it's just saving pennies and getting sponsors.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  21. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I understand. It's a sliding scale for me. I do enjoy the development that goes into prototype endurance cars and F1, but the interest in those sports quickly vanishes for me when the racing becomes a parade lap (i.e. Toyota in WEC, MB in F1, and Marquez in MotoGP). It's unfortunate, but the equipment and their drives/riders are impressive.

As a spectator, the Indy cars *look* faster to me on TV as they are clearly more difficult to handle. F1 cars are so well put together they look slow because they are driving on rails nowadays and the driver doesn't look to be putting in much effort. At least in 2004 (my favorite season) they were not as easy to handle given narrower tires and grooves plus the V10 sound...I think that visual visceral experience adds to it...like Senna going around Monaco in 88.

I also like how in Indy you can see how a rookie vs veteran performs without much difference in equipment...it's impressive to me at least. They do get some things to adjust like gearbox ratios and suspension so a very good driver can get rewarded for doing a good setup.

22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The problem is now that spec-car racing is the only really competitive racing anymore. If you want to see cars actually pass each other on the track, you either need spec racing or multi-class racing like the WeatherTech sports cars. Any series which does not use spec cars is going to be a parade.

23. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I too wish IndyCar were not spec, but the racing is undeniably good.

375+ likes this.
  24. ryanro24

ryanro24 Karting

Aug 23, 2005
    NW Indiana
    We know. You bring it up in almost every thread about indycar.

25. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yep, because its true. Indycar isn't nearly as popular as its been in the past. No one can name a driver today when it used to be people knew Andretti, Unser, Foyt, Mears...

There's a reason.

lorenzobandini likes this.