First F1 race- what not to miss | FerrariChat

First F1 race- what not to miss

Discussion in 'F1' started by mr928, Apr 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mr928

mr928 Karting

May 21, 2008
    Anaheim CA
    Full Name:
    mark anderson
    My wife and I are planning to attend the F1 race this year at Monza and this will be our first. Any do's or don'ts? Recommended hotels or tours? Best seats? Due to some other conflict we will not be able to make practice or qualifying but we hope to visit the Ferrari museum and factory after the race.

2. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    Arrive early
    Stay late

Jakuzzi likes this.
  3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    If you are staying in Milan leave as early as possible. The year I went it took hours to get there on the Sunday, Saturday no issues. If you can book a hotel near the track that would be better.

If you want to see any form of overtaking* on track pick a corner either 6a/b/c, 8a/b, 9/10 or 12/13/15.

Italians like to pick "any seat" make sure you insist it's yours ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

* - no guarantee you will see overtaking*.

Robb likes this.
  4. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    6A

6C

8A/B

mr928 and Bas like this.
  5. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee

Bas likes this.
  6. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    23A gets you close to the cars pitting and the fence is low, I'd add that to the list :)

Bas and vdettore like this.
  7. yamashek

yamashek Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    Monza is a great GP. Like some mentioned, I would go early and stay late. The F1 Fanzone is a great way to get the full F1 experience: pitstop challenge, F1 esports, F1 Driver Fitness challenge etc. Enjoy your time!

8. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Go to Bologna...find a restaurant that makes great risotto, offers simple red wine, and has a big screen TV. Watch the race from there. Of course that is just me speaking...and age has removed all charm from crowds. If you do go...give a lot of thought and planning on how to get home after the race...and make those reservations now.

9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Most years there's a similar thread so they will contain more detailed recommendations already

My recollection is usually the Ferrari factory do not schedule tours around that week altho obviously the Museums are open

Public transport is good but chaotic for getting from Milan rather than driving (or do like the drivers & go on two wheels)

10. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    In 2016 we did the tour of the factory on the Wed after the race.

11. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    #11 daytona355, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    I used to go almost every year with members of the team, and the factory drivers would take us in minibuses. The two and three lane city streets become five lanes with cars everywhere, on the grass, on the pavements, going the wrong way down streets, it’s absolute bloody chaos but enormous fun, and it seems a matter of honour that no one actually ever lets the car stop for a second, they weave, jerk and screech around each other in a choreographed chaos. Best to stay reasonably close to the track if you can, we used to leave the minibus as we neared the park and take to two legs at that point, and jog through the park to the track as it was quicker than the bottleneck as the roads get to the park itself..... even Italian drivers can’t go through or over the bollards and trees to make lanes that aren’t there! Hiring motorcycles or mopeds would be the best and quickest way to drive yourself in unless you arrive at a ridiculously early hour.

The smell of burning clutches around every supercar stuck in the traffic must be the smell of success for the service departments the following week as processions of local car clubs congregate trying to get in too

You will find a lot of spectators that inhabit the trees themselves at parts of the track, sitting on makeshift scaffold platforms and everything. That can be fun, if precarious, especially if you partake in the beer and wine!, but nothing beats tree top tifosi for f1 fanaticism!

SPEEDCORE likes this.
  12. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    When I used to go to Monza we would stay at the on-site camping site. Usually in a tent, but we have done it in a motorhome too. You can get a ticket to the race if you want, but we would usually meet up with fiends who had motorhomes parked against the fence. They would build a 'grandstand' on the roof of the motorhome and watch the race from there for free! The campsite is just before the 1st chicane. We saw some great action there and had a view of the tv screen opposite.

daytona355 and SPEEDCORE like this.
  13. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    And Do not expect a Ferrari victory. ;)

But seriously, go early, have patience and expect to have a great time! :)

daytona355 likes this.
  14. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  15. mr928

mr928 Karting

May 21, 2008
    Anaheim CA
    Full Name:
    mark anderson
    So much great info. Thanks I hope to buy my tickets in the next few days and I've started looking at hotels near by. From what I can tell the Ferrari museum is open the week following the race.