Adding A Power Outlet | FerrariChat

Adding A Power Outlet

Discussion in '206/246' started by racerboy9, Apr 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Has anyone added a 12v power outlet to run a GPS or other device? I would like to add one to my cars, preferably hidden. Any details of the installation are appreciated.

2. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    On a 206/246?

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes. I needed it to run my Satnav for the trip to Maranello last year. It's hidden away below the dash, just inboard of the steering column. Works well for me and barely visible.

4. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    How to provide a power wire for your GPS - as I see it, you have two primary choices. One is to locate a lug on the back of the ignition switch. You'll probably want switched power and to add an inline fuse. The other, which was my choice, is to go to the fuse block, identify a switched line coming in with the appropriate size fuse. Then add a wire to the fused side. If the fuse is heavier than you want, you can hide an inline fuse under the dash. You'll see that the lines are put into the fuse block as a bundle and held in place by a screw putting pressure on them. When I did that, I located the new line under the originals, trying to keep the look as original as possible - the new wire will look a lot shiner than the old ones. There are several gaps available for discretely running a line from the fuse box to the passenger compartment and keeping things pretty well hidden - unlike a firewall on a Ford. :)

Ken

synchro and Nuvolari like this.
  5. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Thanks for the replies. This is for my 246 GTS, GT and Stratos. Did you mount the power outlet with screws, pop-rivets or zip ties? What did you mount it to? Picture would be great.

6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Do you have a radio? That seems like the natural place to tap.
    It's also pretty easy (relavite) to add a wire to one of the fuse boxes in the front and then through a grommet into the dash and fish it through. Just follow the main harness where it enters to the side of the steering column.

synchro likes this.
  7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Unfortunately my Dino and I are in different parts of the country just now, but I could take photos when we are reunited at the end of the month if you have not sorted it by then.

8. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I am in no rush to do the outlet. It is just another thing on my list.

9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    OK, I'll try to remember to do that. If I have not posted them by the end of the month, give me a nudge - old age, I am afraid!:(

10. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I would agree with Kens 2nd suggestion (post4). I did exactly that and fitted a USB connection port mounted to the left & of the glovebox and as high as I could get it behind the dash.
    The cables easily pass through the bulkhead via the existing rubber grommet. I fitted it to a permanent live connection so the sav nav or phone remains charging if you are parked up, with a inline fuse of course.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/12v-24v-surface-mounted-twin-usb-power-socket-5v-21a.html

synchro likes this.
  11. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Do Dino’s have a socket for a trouble light like the early 308s? If so, you can get usb chargers that fit in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Politely disagree with going through the Bosch ignition switch electricals. Yes, it is feasible with close access but I had a brief dash fire in 05082 from this Bosch unit. Perhaps I'm over reacting but it convinced me not to stress any Dino wiring with adding aftermarket electricals. It was old and quite dirty (see pics next to new one) so dust may have been the culprit in the wiper pot.

I ran a new 12 ga red wire from a battery ring on the positive terminal to a modern blade type fuse in the passenger's compartment passing through the spare tire tub and then the firewall cable pull access hole. I powered a 12V Valentine 1 direct power socket https://store.valentine1.com/Store/partsdept.asp and a USB port placed in the glove box and the door shut held it just tight. To finish the circuit, I found three good ground possibilities; one in each of the kick panel lights (the rectangular BOM or Hella) and a stud on the under dash behind the US mounted regulator. Each had 0.1 ohm or less to battery neg cable.

I carry at least one OEM Bosch ignition electrical switch in my Dino travel kit and will have these on the DinoRally.com to aid in any Dino owner that may need it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. PhatFrank

PhatFrank Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    Norway
    We have a 12 V socket under the dash which is hidden yet easily reached. It's hooked directly to the battery, which also allows for battery charging (with a 12 V socket adapter from Etek) without having to remove the lid in the front compartment. Works great.

synchro likes this.
  14. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John