Which first Ferrari: 612, California or FF? | FerrariChat

Which first Ferrari: 612, California or FF?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by discoganya, Apr 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Your choice

1. Ferrari 612 Scaglietti

18 vote(s)
    22.8%
  2. Ferrari California

14 vote(s)
    17.7%
  3. Ferrari FF

32 vote(s)
    40.5%
  4. Something else

15 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. discoganya

discoganya Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    After being a member here for almost 13 years, I thought I should finally post :)

I have a budget of about US $100k, +/- a little. I've thought about getting a Ferrari for many many years, I just may be able to pull the trigger this summer. I keep my cars for a long time (Porsche 911 is coming up on 15 years now), so short term depreciation is not an issue, but long term value is important. I'm well aware of routine maintenance, upkeep and insurance of expensive toys. Here are my requirements -
    • 2+2 seater: My kids are 7 and 11 years old. They enjoy my car hobby as much as I do, and I cannot see myself buying a 2 seater and leaving them out. The whole point of the car would be go out on Sunday drives with the family. We have Toyotas for our daily commute and soccer practice.
    • Auto/F1 transmission. My wife enjoys driving too, but she doesn't like manual transmissions, especially the one in the Porsche. While I much prefer the gated manual, I'll have to go with an auto/F1 this time.
    • Must be modern-ish, post 2005? ... Something 15 years or newer. I want an actual driver, and plan to put about 3000 miles on it every year.
    • I prefer Red over Tan with Scuderia shields, but I guess other colors would help with my budget
    So what do you recommend?

612 Scaglietti
    + In budget, ticks all boxes
    + Always wanted a front engine V12 (I would LOVE to have a 550/575 Maranello - that was my dream car growing up)
    - A little too subdued on the looks, does not excite me as much as a Ferrari should
    - Wondering how resale will do over the next 15 years

California
    + Also ticks all boxes, but may be a tad over budget
    - Very small back seats
    - Prefer a V12 over a V8

FF
    + Most modern
    + V12
    - Clearly not in budget, but I might be able to pull it off, or wait it out, if there is a compelling reason
    - Not a fan of the hatchback looks

DanielDaniel, aaronrgonz and paulchua like this.
  2. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Cali 30 with handling package is a very underrated car! Dual clutch, hard top convertible, NA and not much slower than the T... plus may still be able to get extended warranty if I'm not mistaken?

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    +1
    T

4. Texas Turbo

Texas Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Great first post. I was a lurker for a long time before pulling the trigger as well.

The first bit of advice is drive all of them. That's the best way to know what floats your boat.

I recently cross shopped these cars so I can provide some thoughts.

For reference, I currently own a 360 Modena with the gated 6-speed manual as well as a California T. I am keeping both as they are two very different experiences and serve different purposes. The 360 is a weekend car and the Cali T spends time as a quasi daily driver.

Of the cars you are considering I would, without a doubt, go for the FF. I'd even encourage you to buy it from a Ferrari dealer with a CPO warranty.

Owning an "older" Ferrari is fun but not for everyone. They are expensive to fix and maintain, the technology is showing its age, and there are build quality issues that have since been improved. Therefore I would steer you away from the 612. I think they are beautiful and I totally appreciate them, but I would not choose it from your list.

As for the California, they are great buys right now. My Cali T was just delivered and I love it. A modern/comfortable car but still a Ferrari in every sense of the word. They just kept getting better and you have many options in that price point. I ended up with a lightly used 15 T for over $100K off sticker with 8K miles, 2 year CPO warranty and a few years left on the free maintenance. For significantly less you can get an early car or a Cali 30 in between. All great cars and worth their current value on the market. What I don't think you will like is the size of the back seats (I wouldn't recommend it, even for kids) and the sound will pale in comparison to the v12 cars.

That leaves the FF. I think they are the best current buy on the used Ferrari market. I very easily could have ended up with one instead of the Cali T but I don't have kids and the convertible top won me over. I like the looks of the FF but I am in the minority. My wife definitely let me know her thoughts on the design of the Cali T and the FF and I have to admit that did influence the decision as well.

I suggest getting the FF. The design is the ONLY "flaw" in the car and if you can get comfortable with it, then it is a no-brainer in my mind. I was also shopping F12's and fell in love with those as well. The FF is so close to that experience that I think you'd be making a mistake if you didn't highly consider a nice clean one with a Ferrari CPO warranty. No worries and an amazing Ferrari for your first experience.

Good luck and let us know your thoughts!

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I have to agree, pay a bit more, finance it, get an FF. I had a 612, and ultimately, good as it was (and it is based on your favorite 550/575) it’s looks can be very polarising, it’s not such an event, but it is capable. Tech is old, and I think it will disappoint nowadays.

The California is a fantastic car, I’m about to buy one, but the rear seats are little more than a ledge on which to balance bags, I wouldn’t want to squeeze kids into them.....

The FF is a fantastic bit of kit, fast as ****, handles like a car half it’s size, and is usable ALL year, even in the snow and ice..... you can get some luggage in it, and like the 612, adults can sit in comfort in the back (on that note, I once took friends out on track in the 612 at silverstone on a track day four up in the car, and we were passing 360s and 550s like they were skodas!)

6. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    +1 for the FF

The only issue with it based on what you said is that they basically only are available in Black, Gray and White. Actual colors like red seem to be very rare.

7. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    This. All day this.

8. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Cali30 all day everyday and twice on Sunday. I know I'm biased and I know some have to be sick of seeing her but dammit, it's a great car! The handling, sound, and speed are perfect for a weekend car and still give you that sense of "event" we all look for in these cars. The BEST thing I did was save a little longer and increase my budget to get THE CAR I wanted. At the time it was the most expensive and lowest mileage 2014 (last year of the 30) Handling Speciale in the US, and it was worth the extra splurge and in the end they took my 11K under asking offer so you never know what you can REALLY get your dream car at! Test drive all the cars on your list and go with the one that stirs your soul. So far the Cali30 has been problem free, low maintenance, and causes face cramps from all the smiling!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My vote is stretch the budget and get the FF, if you can get over the hatchback look... Best Ferrari for family drives, love that v12 engine, you should be able to find examples with nearly 250k of depreciation, yet you'll still be driving a modern v12 ferrari.

Since you plan on keeping the car for a long time, something to also keep in mind is that your kids will quickly outgrow the back seats of the cali unless everyone in your family is very short.

I plan on getting a FF or lusso in the future as our family "nice car" if I can convince my wife to get over the looks. As I'm not gonna lie, they are indeed the "ugly duckling" of Ferrari. However, that's like saying it's the "ugly ducking" out of group of super models - still not bad!

10. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    As much as I love may Cali30, I must agree. When I have small adults in the back I must sit far forward and I'm only 5'9" and still it gets cramped. The FF is a great contender, is fast, has that NA V12, and more room. I didn't care for the looks at first but it's grown on me. I think a forum member has a great example or sale.

BOKE and Modena_2003 like this.
  11. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Yes the Cali is clearly not the most comfortable for the fam, and both the FF and 612 have plenty of room, with the FF being the most practical of course... but the real question is, which is uglier between the 612 and FF? I think FF is better but 612 has been growing on me lately and it’s not a hatch

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. discoganya

discoganya Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Wow, thanks for all the great replies. Great advice on a test drive - I spend so much time online that I often forget that the best way to decide is to see & feel things in person.

Now how does a Ferrari test drive work? Do I just show up at a dealer and ask for a test drive? I suspect that dealers don't allow joy rides like that...

I'm also a little surprised: no love for the 612? That looks like the last large Ferrari family saloon. Is it just dated, in technology, look and feel?

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I have not driven the 612, but have the FF and Cali T, my vote would be the FF as well. The truth is though, love all of them. I like how the 612 looks, I enjoyed the open air cability of the Cali, and adore the performance and utility of the FF. I would try to test drive all 3 and then listen to your soul, it will speak your the truth.

BOKE and Booker like this.
  14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You absolutely have to see the cars in person and hopefully drive them. DO NOT just show up at your local Ferrari dealer and expect to drive these cars. Call your local dealer, speak to a salesperson, explain your situation and ask to schedule a time to come in and meet with him/her. Start a relationship and let it progress from there.

You have no information in your profile so I don't know if you are in the US, Europe, Asia or on the moon. If you ask nicely in the area where you live, some members here would be happy to meet up with you and if not let you drive their FF, 612, or Cali, at least give you a ride.

One last point, you receive responses from people who do not own a Ferrari, let alone the models you are considering, and have never owned a Ferrari. Consider that they know even less about those models than you do. I wouldn't let their responses sway your opinion towards any of the three. :)

RonH, paulchua, tomc and 3 others like this.
  15. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I think Paul is spot on about non Ferrari owner’s comments and not to be considered!

Relative to the test drive I would always call ahead if you want to be considered seriously and have a specific car in mind. But I found several deal quite accommodating showing me different cars. Additionally most dealers will not have a 612 and many sales folks have never seen a 612 OTO so to test drive one will be difficult. Driving an early 612 is a different experience than a later OTO car. The technology in the OTO while not like current vehicles is is a good step up from gen 1 cars IMO. I also think you will find the appointments in the 612 OTO a step above the early Cali but I did see a Silverstone 2015 Cali which was very well optioned which got me thinking about adding another to the herd. But I quickly gave myself a dope slap as the heat I would get from the wife would be excessive if I showed up with another car.

paulchua, Caphill and daytona355 like this.
  16. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    My local dealer let me test drive a bunch of cars (I mean REALLY test drive them, hard) but I was referred to the salesman by an ex-employee and they knew I had the intentions/money to buy immediately so I'm sure it helped. As others stated, give them a call, talk to a salesman and schedule an apt so you're taken seriously. You'll be test driving in no time! Where about are you located?

17. discoganya

discoganya Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Thanks all, I'm in the SF Bay Area (California)

paulchua likes this.
  18. Federal man

Federal man Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2018
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Mark Higinbotham
    I just purchased my Cali-30 from Ferrari of San Francisco in Mill Valley. I worked with Jeff Harley there and he was extremely helpful and never pushy. From my recent shopping experience, I found that calling ahead and letting the salesman know that you had already done your homework and knew what you were looking for opened the door for no-hassle test drives.

19. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    If spending $100k (plus a bunch annually) for an exotic car, it must excite you in many ways imho. “If” the FF does that for you, and if driving 4 people is a requirement, then it is a good choice.

BOKE and paulchua like this.
  20. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've been trying to decide between a 612 and an FF for about a year now (I don't like convertibles, so no Cali for me). I already had a 456M so I love 2+2's, the problem is the 612 is beautiful, and the FF is Fargin Fugly. But the FF is lightyears ahead of the 612 technically. Like I've been saying, my brain wants an FF, but my heart wants a 612.

If you like hot colors, they are hard to come by in 2+2's. My 456M was one of only TWO in Rosso Corsa in the country. Red 612's and FF's aren't quite so rare.

Good luck and take your time.

BOKE, Modena_2003, RonH and 2 others like this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hahaha,

I love how the FF looks, but then again, I also like how the Mondial and 456 looks so I might just have been dropped too many times on the head as a kid.

;)

I'm 360 Canuck, BOKE, MAPS and 3 others like this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    send me a PM and i'll invite you to a few club events, it introduces you to the owners and cars. You can ask your questions and get real long term answers right there on the spot.

Cheers

Nospinzone likes this.
  23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    The Cali 30 is the most underrated modern Ferrari, but as someone said, your kids will likely only fit in it for a year or two. You could enjoy one for that period and then think again, by which time FFs will have depreciated further. My kids fit into a Cali 30 three years ago and couldn't get close this year, but were fine in a GTC4 Lusso (similar space to FF).

Or buy a 575 and go on alternate weekend family drives...much more fun in the passenger seat of a 575 than the back seat of any of these, and nobody will ever outgrow it. And it's at the bottom of its depreciation probably, unlike the others. But it's an older car.

Robb likes this.
  24. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    See, I told ya!

I knew Paul would come through. :)

paulchua likes this.
  25. DanielDaniel

DanielDaniel Rookie