Shift shaft oil seal | FerrariChat

Shift shaft oil seal

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JohnMH, Apr 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    After replacing this seal 3 times in 10 years, with only a temporary halt to leakage each time, does anyone make an upgraded seal? They seem to lose their elasticity quickly.

Item 47 on the diagram. I have also tried replacing the bellows. The shift shaft is not damaged in any way. I am also careful not to overfill the transmission with oil.

Does the transmission have a vent which may be plugged, forcing oil past the seal? My TR is as leak free as my Toyota otherwise.

Nothing quite as dismaying as backing the car out for a drive and seeing an oil puddle in your parking space.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when I rebuilt a gearbox I never use the original seal, always a seal called in germany "viton seal" and never had any leaking problem. size just now I have not in mind, have all my documents at home in germany

have a look at the rear cover where the gears are from the clutch down to the gearbox, there is a vent, but until now I never have seen this plugged

TestaDDS likes this.
  3. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Thanks! I would be in your debt if you ever find the size and source for that viton seal.

I have a spare new oem seal, but will need to take OD shaft measurements to find an equivalent sized viton example.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    end of next week I will be at home again after 3 month thailand and if you have time until then I will have a look at my documents and tell you. I have them in stock and can send you one then.

because you are in dubai where it is warm all the time the original seal may be not good for this temperatures?

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Hard to say, the car is only used in winter (sub-30c) temperatures. The car leaks when it sits unused for a week; the place I keep it is not that warm, even in the summer.

It occurred to me that by setting the oil level to the level of the oil fill hole and then adding oil to the stacked gears at the back of the clutch housing it may be overfilled?

6. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    The O-ring is known as OR 122 , OR 3068 and AT 180-220 with size of 17.13 x 2.62

7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003

Attached Files:

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    those dimensions can never be right. it is made in europe and when you write here numbers in 1/100 mm you converted inch sizes into metric sizes and in europe we don´t use inch sizes