car design thread | Page 329 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    I'm looking at the B pillar rearwards: the rear roof treatment, light placement, & chunky rear hips.
    BTW, the interior is really nice; elegant, sporty, and simple.
    Really dig what looks to be a carbon fiber matrix support for the wheel.

jm2 likes this.
  2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    this? i can see it

Image Unavailable, Please Login

jm2 likes this.
  3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  4. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    so much to like on the inside.
    the gauge cluster in the wheel, choice of colours, the luggage straps, and the pattern in the floor & deck that reference the quilted padding of cars like the early sixties Ferraris. I' going to think a little longer about the bench seat tho -

of2worlds, anunakki and jm2 like this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Tenney, anunakki, ingegnere and 2 others like this.
  6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The Mustang, that could've been. In 1990 Ford contemplated the idea of the Mustang being built on the FWD Mazda 626 platform. Traditionalists prevailed and the Mazda based Ford Probe was an out-come, while the Mustang remained on a modified version of the Fox platform. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    ModernLou, of2worlds and anunakki like this.
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    of2worlds, colombo2cam and jm2 like this.
  11. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    I haven't the slightest idea as to why but I wanted a Probe SO bad when I was kid; I thought they were the coolest things on the road.

anunakki and jm2 like this.
  12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    There was a great deal of discussion within Ford at the time regarding the name and how women would react to that name. They went ahead anyway!

13. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Mazda takes credit with getting more tumblehome in the Probe design. Remember that the Probe platform was shared with the Mazda 6 and both were built at the Flat Rock plant.

anunakki and jm2 like this.
  14. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    And it'd take a pretty short lens to better accentuate the "Wide-Track" era than Fitz's pen!

of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    A tour of the New York Auto Show with discussions with real car designers!
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

anunakki and Qvb like this.
  16. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    jm2 likes this.
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    stranger things have happened........

18. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I think that's a version of the "Bruce Jenner" RWD design study. There was an aggressive looking car called the "Rambo." The two were blended together to create the "Arnold Schwarzenegger," which became the SN95 Mustang.

Below is the FWD "Mustang" which eventually became the Probe.

The final "Bruce Jenner" Mustang.

The blended "Jenner/Rambo" "Schwarzenegger" car.

19. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    This is a case where the final released product turned out much more pleasing than some of the design considerations- I cite the second photograph of the side treatment and lack of "hop up."

20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Interesting that the 'hop up' in the quarter came from the MkII Continental. Who knew?
    Also interesting that the front & rear were done without sketches. Hand waved I guess.
    I caution young designers to NOT try to find the design in the clay. Only one rule: there aren't any.

21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  22. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Nice article but they pretty much give Earl credit for prototype pre production car models and automobile manufactures designing cars for esthetics and not just function. He did neither, although models were made out of wood before I think and not clay. Airplane industry started wind tunnel testing in the 1920's with wood models so they should get the credit for both. Hell the aerospace industry started anti skid in the late 1930's, now known in the car industry as ABS.

23. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    This is quite a striking statement in the article:

Up to this time, American vehicle bodies were not designed in such a way to be stylish or sleek or works of art. They were merely mass produced means of transportation. Because of this, the unique talent and skills that Earl brought to GM were not considered of great importance in the beginning of his career. Because of this, despite his undeniable talent, he wasn’t always taken seriously by his GM peers.
    Things could have turned out quite differently in history but for the fortune of good timing.

24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The function of design in its early days was anything but popular or sought after. When Earl was hired by Alfred Sloan to form an Art & Colour/ Styling staff to ‘style’ cars, it was a new function within the car industry. Previously the engineering team along with artistic types did the body designs. Earl formed the Styling Section with the intent purpose of styling/designing the bodies of GM products. It was uncharted territory, and met with a great deal of resistance within the corporation. Particularly within the engineering organization. They just didn’t trust ‘artists’ within the tough-guy culture of the automobile business. It took the support of the Chairman, Sloan himself to shield Earl and his team from those that wanted the Styling function to fail. Once the corporation realized just how important design was, and that it could generate huge profits, eventually everyone else fell into line. The annual styling change had begun. Henry Ford resisted design to the detriment of the Ford Motor Company, and it cost him Ford’s position in the industry.
    We can argue the importance and impact of the function of designing/styling cars in those early days, but it was a way to differentiate the product, and create customer enthusiasm. Witness all the conversation on FChat around every new Ferrari design, and things haven’t changed that much since the design profession began in the late ‘20’s. Customers still love beautiful cars. That’s been a constant for 90 years.

Protouring442 and Texas Forever like this.