California stuck in reverse | FerrariChat

California stuck in reverse

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Fasthufi, Apr 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fasthufi

Fasthufi Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 2, 2012
    Germany
    Hello from Germany,
    yesterday I wanted to drive out of my garage. Selected reverse and outside I put in first gear. Suddenly the transmission light went on. I wanted to put reverse in again and it did not work. Only 1st to 7th worked. I turned off the car and after I started it again the transmission light was out and Reverse gear was selected. After I switched to first I was not able to go into reverse again.
    It took me some tim to find the problem. It was the reverse knob that was stuck. the surface of the knob is gluey and small particles of this rubber material blocked the knob. After cleaning everything with a tooth pick everything works fine again.
    I just wanted to let you know that such small thing can block the whole car.
    I will wipe off the this rubber paint and make round carbon parts with my 3d mill and engrave Launch, R and Auto and glue it to the buttons.

Guenter

2. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    Scarry Especially when you think to the cost of changing a gear box. Hopefully it was minor issue that you could fix yourself. Well done !

3. Federal man

Federal man Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2018
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Mark Higinbotham
    Good to know. Thanks for sharing!

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Exactly. I would have freaked out! Good think you kept your wits about you.
    T

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hello Günther, yes that's a truly bizarre experience! I'm glad you figured it out. So how many kilometers do you have on your car? Some but not all cars seem to have this disintegrating rubber coating problem so I'm intrigued. BTW, do you store your car over the Winter?

6. Fasthufi

Fasthufi Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 2, 2012
    Germany
    Hi,
    I have driven the California about 40000mls so far. I drive it almost daily, in winter on snow I have no problems. It is even more fun.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

GNU likes this.
  7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That’s a lot of miles under all conditions so the rubber coating on the buttons is probably just wearing out and leaving debris. Carbon fibre replacements would look incredible but it may still need some sort of coating because you will be touching and wearing the CF surface every time you use the buttons. Aluminum 6061 may be a better material if the surface gets a lot of wear.

It’s great that you can enjoy your Cali everyday, even in winter but I don’t drive my Cali30 over the winter here as it is also lowered with tires that do not work at all on ice or snow. The car would scrape immediately on any snow cover. The salt and gravel on our winter roads would also ruin the exterior and interior. My 4x4 pickup truck is much less troublesome to maintain and way more fun to drive in winter... doesn’t even need winter tires.