How many Pista? | FerrariChat

How many Pista?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by acw, Apr 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Apologies in advance if this is an obvious question but I simply can't find the answer anywhere... Anybody knows how many Pista were / will be built and how this compares to other limited editions V8s?

Thanks

Arnaud

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Oh wait, that’s the number of threads out there asking the exact same question. My apologies.

will89, Il Co-Pilota, markcs and 3 others like this.
  3. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Lol

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    Seems 2500 for the coupe’ and 800 for the spider.

5. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    under 2000 Coupes and 700-800 Spider

6. Roland1688

Roland1688 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    Taipei
    Full Name:
    Roland
    I doubt that the number of coupe will be under 2,000. Likely 3,000~3,500.

7. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    No one knows for certain. You’re going to get a range of <2000 overall to around 5000 units.

Everyone is going to claim they have an ultra reliable source. Personally, I trust the sources that are closest to the production function of Ferrari’s supply chain. The sources I trust the least are the ones close to the end customer part (ie dealerships and individual buyers).

boobernackle likes this.
  8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I also suspect people owning a Pista have a little bias to emphasize its rarity ;)
    I may be wrong of course.

Jelial likes this.
  9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    ppg70 said 3500 coupe +1200 spider is ''well known''. That would be the top end i think .

With F8 launched this could well reduce the numbers if some orders jump ship to the cheaper model etc.

10. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Thanks everyone. And to answer my own question there was 3000 458 Speciale built with 499 Apertas. So I guess 3000-3500 is the range.

11. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Except there are many people here and people I know personally who would love a Pista and can’t get one so it does seem that they are not producing enough to meet demand. Whereas the Speciale was available to first time new buyers. This I know because I did exactly that.

12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    When do the emission changes introduced on the F8 T take effect? (NO 2020 model year EU Pista models?) Those new requirements like GPF etc. would seem to make a hard deadline when all the Pista coupe and spider production must be complete. Less coupe production (tight allocation numbers) to fit in all the other cars that need to be built.

13. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    So rare that you will never see one on the road. (unless its going to a car show). So what does that tell you?

14. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Ummmm , no. At most 2500 Speciales including the Apertas.

Shack likes this.
  15. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I don't know if I'd say that (hopefully I see a Pista here and there outside of that). I do have a guy about 5 houses down in my neighborhood that seems to switch up Aventador SV's like they're going out of style, and they're much more rare in terms of production numbers. He had 2 last year at the same time (a yellow and an orange), and now has a gorgeous blue one with yellow SV on the side. As the weather is getting better in our area, I see him driving it almost daily.

16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I can tell you that I have not seen a single Pista on the road, at any of the local car shows - anywhere.

Who knows what the numbers will be but there aren’t too many around these parts.

Thecadster likes this.
  17. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    markcs and Dadr like this.
  18. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I fall into that grouping, alas. The “have nots”. Or the “can’t haves”.

Il Co-Pilota and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I'm wondering what will happen next .. the folks who want/ed the Pista will they wait and buy secondhand ? Or decide to order the F8 to exactly their spec ?

20. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I can answer for myself. Neither scenario. I would only want to spec a very unique Pista. Sadly, F8 just doesn’t move me the same way. Tons and tons of cool cars out there. I love my Performante, and my 812 is currently on the boat. I’ve loved every mile of my F12. I am at the top of the list for the Aventador replacement (assuming they ever replace the Aventador). The 720S will be so cheap by next fall, that it might make sense to add one of those into the mix. Looks like it will be many years before I will be able to put a mid-engine Ferrari in the garage.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think there are so many great cars out there- if you missed out on the Pista- the next one will be along soon.

Thecadster likes this.
  22. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I am pretty certain that the number of Pista and Spider will have been the subject of a very detailed discussion inside Maranello many months/years ago. Since they needed to make room/time for BB and LB could not be delivered soon enough, instead of extending Pista beyond the ideal production number they produced the F8, an unusual interim model, thereby filling production slots at the factory for the next few years but maintaining Pista’s exclusivity at the level they originally deemed desirable. So whatever the number is, it should be what they believe is the right amount to protect Pista’s value and reputation in the marketplace. They no doubt make larger profits from the track-special cars so it makes no sense to be too greedy and ruin a very good earner for the longer term.

ajr550, leopoldo, Shack and 1 other person like this.
  23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I would argue though that they apparently decided to delay the F8 production, maybe to make room for more Pista before 2020 and new emissions rules.
    The 488 was unveiled in March 2015 and first deliveries were in September 2015 (just after the factory summer break), while for the F8 (also presented in March at Geneva) they delay the first deliveries to Q1 2020.
    It's certainly on purpose, it cannot be more difficult to switch the production line between 488 and F8 than between 458 and 488.
    I'm also curious to see whether people eventually getting the BB will put second hand Pistas on the market (we're some time away to know, obviously).

of2worlds and Thecadster like this.
  24. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    This seems to be the logical opinion. Then again another thousand or more Pista's during the F8 run would not even be noticed and may be too profitable to pass up. Who knows with any certainty the exact number of these cars especially if not limited editions. Wouldn't limit the demand until perhaps the replacement is near and you see an unusual amount of used show up on the market. Even then most sell back to the dealer where the price can be kept at whatever level is appropriate like the Speciale.