Underground cars | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Underground cars

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Ed Niles, Mar 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Germany never had a luxury tax for cars etc.!

turbo-joe likes this.
  2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I found no less than 14 Maserati Ghibli in the US that are also existing with the same VIN in Europe...and some of these "clones" are....in the USA.
    They perfectly played their "hey-lets-fool-the gouverment"-game in Italy and all (Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Bizzarini) were the players...

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    So the Maserati Ghibli was produced from 1966 to 1973. This is later than Ferraris discussed earlier in this thread. I am interested ie do you know which Italian tax they were avoiding? Did they change the chassis numbers on

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    Did they change the chassis numbers on a car (with tax owing) to a chassis number of a car known to have paid all taxes so the car could be exported from Italy?

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    They were NOT avoiding ITALIAN tax. They were avoiding tax in their own country. Sample: When a Frenchman bought an Italian Ferrari and tried to avoid paying taxes for the Italian Ferrari in his own country (France). And on and on.

Marcel Massini

Texas Forever, turbo-joe and TTR like this.
  6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Well, they used the custom carnet of the earlier car to sell/export the later car (that had the same VIN).

7. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    That’s what I wanted to know. Obviously if a car was purchased in Italy by an Italian they would be avoiding Italian tax of some sought. I know of 3 c/4 ‘s with the same chassis numbers

Texas Forever likes this.