360 vs F355 future appreciation | FerrariChat

360 vs F355 future appreciation

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Charlie Hawkins, Apr 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Charlie Hawkins

Feb 1, 2019
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Charlie Hawkins
    I’m shopping for a gated 6 speed Spider 360 or f355. I like both cars for different reasons equally.I’m well versed in the differences in the two cars as well as the difference in maintenance. I’m looking for opinions on which gated 6 speed will appreciate (or depreciate) the most over the next 5 to 10 years. The Ferrari Market Letter publication shows the F355 increasing in value steadily over the last 3 years and the 360 slowly depreciating over the last 6 years as the F435 depreciated it’s pushing down the 360 values.
    This may not be truly representative to my decision because FML does not differentiate between gated 6 speed gated and F1.
    Looking for opinions on which spider gated 6 speed will be the best investment.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Challenge Stradale will be the one that goes up the most in value.

355 Fiorano will probably be the best 355 investment, but it wont be impressive.

As far as everyday 355 and 360, neither will appreciate.

vetteldude, BOKE, Bas and 6 others like this.
  3. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Buy what you love. Pass it down and let your kids figure that **** out... :D

They both cost money to maintain.

Clutch less on the 355, belts less on the 360.

You will likely not lose money other than maintenance on either gated car.

Robb

vetteldude, BOKE, Bas and 5 others like this.
  4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Gated 360 will depreciate more as 360 prices are still in the manual bubble that does not apply to the 355 which is always going to be regarded as a more desirable car as there are fewer and it is way better looking

phrogs, Shark01, SonomaRik and 2 others like this.
  5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm betting yours is a minority opinion. The looks of a 355 don't do anything for me. The 360 is the best looking of all V8's to my eyes, and it's a way better performer.

As to the OP, who cares? Gated 355 and 360 Ferraris should both be pretty solid on resale, so buy the one you want and drive it. It's not like either will ever be super valuable.

Dewinator, Graz, docf and 5 others like this.
  6. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I don’t think either will appreciate significantly.
    Agree with George...355 does nothing for me except look dated.
    I don’t think 360 manuals are in a bubble. They will always hold a premium over f1’s. It’s a beautiful match of transmission and car, connectedness and simplicity/reliability.

But in the modern era if appreciation is a priority I would look to special editions track centric models...ie CS, Scud, etc.all the rest are drivers.

7. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Buy the one that you really love. All of us will tell you that the one we own is the one to buy. The car will be for you not the rest of us. I drove them both and chose what I loved. I did not like some of the other models after driving them as they felt more like a Porsche than a Ferrari to me. Styling is an individual taste and preference thing. I really did not care for any of the Ferraris after the 550 until the 458 came along, but that is just me, tons of people love those models and have bought them. At the end of the day it needs to put a huge smile on your face when you drive it and make you look back at it when you park it, otherwise you made the wrong decision for you. Good luck and Forza Ferrari!

8. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I know where you can find a nice drivers 2004 360 Gated, Nero/Nero. Last year they made it. I drove it twice and man it was fun. Had 18K on the ODO IIRC.

9. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    I think well maintained manual 360 & 355 in Rosso Corsa will continue to appreciate !!

The are junior Supercar Ferraris that don't cost a fortune to maintain, look great and drive very well even by modern standards !!

Challenge Stradale cars will also appreciate, due to limited production !!

Charlie Hawkins likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    If investment is your main goal, stick with stocks. If a Ferrari is your passion, only you can answer your own question on which is better.

rdefabri, docf, randkin and 5 others like this.
  11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Pure appreciation potential? I'd say the F360 over the F355. I believe the F360 will go done as Ferrari's "Porsche 911." Timing in life is everything, but when the F360 hit in 1999, it put Ferrari on the map.

12. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Whatever happened to just buying a car because you like it?

I have been a car collector all of my adult life, I picked it up form my father who had the same passin. I never heard the terms depreciation and depreciation curve in relation to this hobby until a few years ago.

When I bought my '89 328 GTS in '93 I didn't even know about the belt services. I just thought you took the car to a dealer periodically for a "Service" like any other car.

rdefabri, docf, Tifosi Dude and 2 others like this.
  13. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think we are at a fork in the road with electric cars, where either older ICE cars will go way up in value because everyone wants them, or way down in value because no one wants them. Impossible to predict the future so buy whatever you like and enjoy while you can.

Bigilo, John Glen and Charlie Hawkins like this.
  14. Charlie Hawkins

Feb 1, 2019
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Charlie Hawkins
    Thanks for the input. I would be interested in learning more about 04 blk/blk gated 360 you mention.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Rowan

Rowan Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    I you want fun - buy the car you like and enjoy it.

Very few cars, are money makers.

Once you figure in tax, maintenance. repairs, and tied up capital - it's a losing proposition.

If $ are an issue - buy at the bottom of the depreciation curve - that's your best financial decision when it comes to cars.

16. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The real question if you want to sell a car and make money on it is who will buy the car. I was out in mine today and rowing the gears is a treat. Such a great way to get the Zen on. I really don't know what the buyers of tomorrow will prefer. But do think that tomorrows buyer aren't going to put up with alot of very expensive maintenance in a sports car. Less is better and less expensive. But.. all cars are individual. Some owners have good experiences while others have alot of problems.
    I suspect that the person to buy a stick car is a true enthusiast and will pay for the stick experience, I did. Appreciation.. I'd pick the 360 but I'm biased. FWIW I might know of a rosso/tan 3-pedal 360 spider whose owner wants a 458...

17. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    5-10 years isn't too far off. However, beyond that, I highly doubt there will be premiums, if any, on manuals. As someone already stated, we're in a bit of a bubble right now with them, and it's already deflating. The upcoming generations (millenials) aren't "drivers." The overwhelming majority will have never driven a manual, and thus, have no desire to own one. Of course there will be exceptions, but nowhere near where we're at today with the amount of people who can drive stick, baby boomers, etc. It's just a numbers game and generational difference as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not sure why so many seem to ignore this... Younger people didn't grow up driving stick, so, they're not going to desire what they didn't have growing up. Most of the manual collectors today grew up with stick sports cars. A lot of the collector car market has to do with guys growing up and finally being able to afford what they couldn't when they were younger.

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
  19. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    In fairness, most young people where I live (Colorado) are far more interested in Teslas and SUVs rather than exotic cars. More and more prefer Uber or Lyft to driving and most of the Millenials I work with cannot wait for self driving cars. It will be interesting to see if there really is much demand for older cars in the future.

20. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm not interested in cars before the 90's anymore, and I'm 61. I like seatbelts, airbags, ABS and traction control. Power assisted steering is nice for wide front tires as well. But there are still enough people who do to keep vintage Ferraris in the millions of dollars. So I would think that there will be enough Fast an Furious fans who want to learn to drive manuals to keep them at a premium for quite some time. When I gave my lawn company's owner's son a drive in my 360, all he asked about was the manual. "How hard is it to learn?" He was 14 at the time.

21. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    According to polls on here in the past a 355 is far more desirable to most.

Shark01 and Charlie Hawkins like this.
  22. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    In ANY generation there are "car people" and "non-car people". Millennials are no different. Instead of "calling a taxi" using a rotary phone, they're using a smart phone and they can see a little icon of the incoming taxi and how close they are, then use a credit card to pay instead of cash. Somehow this is "revolutionary"...

In any generation the "non-car people" have been driving a prius, Lexus or whatever with an automatic transmission. Most Baby boomers don't own a Ferrari. They've been driving a truck with an automatic transmission and before that a Ford or Chevy with an automatic transmission. A car is just a means to get from point A to point B. Millennials are absolutely no different. Most don't care who they get there. Just like their parents.

The boomers that bought a Ferrari were "car people". They didn't think it was a "porsche". Same thing as all the 20 somethings that I see at cars and coffee. They're not driving automatics, they're driving sticks. They just can't afford a Ferrari yet so they're driving a Honda Civic or stick Mustang. Car people of any generation, the ones that WANT a ferrari because it's a Ferrari.. will be the ones currently driving a stick BMW or BRZ. The nitwits that want to show off who buy it "because it's a FERRARI" were driving their auto BMW ("it's a BMW!") are the ones that can't drive stick. Two entirely different owners, and people who already are "car people" and more likely to buy a Ferrari will pay more for a stick.

23. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great post.

I would like to add that if we all knew the answer to the OP’s question (which model is the better investment) then we would all be making trillions of $$ in the stock market instead of debating this on FChat

Charlie Hawkins and paulchua like this.
  24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    True, but the ratio is changing, and not for the good. As a Baby Boomer, I couldn't wait until I turned 16, got wheels and got out of the effing house. I wasn't alone. All of us, girls and boys wanted to get in a car as soon as we could. Today? Not so much. Kids stay at home and play games interactivity with each other, while texting other kids on their phones. They don't have to drive to get out of the house. My SIL grew up in Palo Alto. He didn't get a drivers license until last year when he was 34.

Charlie Hawkins and G. Pepper like this.
  25. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I am not so well acquainted with the 355 since I don't fit into it so well and never really considered it for myself. But from my personal experience which is limited, I think the 360 is one of the best looking cars Ferrari ever produced. It is the first one I tried and was actually comfortable in it and again started me considering ownership of an Fcar.

The Challenge Stradale will like hold value the best as Jerry stated but would not be my pick unless you want to track it. Farrari made a lot of 360s so not so sure it will do much in the appreciation area. However, while I am not a fan of cabs (already have more than enough sun exposure for a life time), the Rosso/Tan with MT would be my pick. It seems to have everything a Ferrari sports car should have with those iconic colors.

I don’t think I would ever buy a car hoping for appreciation, as most reasonable affordable cars don’t appreciate when all the costs of ownership are considered – initial vehicle cost, tax, registration, insurance, maintenance, holding costs vs. a real investment return and storage in some cases. So buy what appeals to you the most and forget appreciation. If you do get any appreciation it will never offset the holding costs.:):cool: