Michelin front/ Pirelli rear, to match diameter. Ok? | FerrariChat

Michelin front/ Pirelli rear, to match diameter. Ok?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by RossFF, Apr 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RossFF

RossFF Rookie

Mar 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    christopher
    I am running a 21/22" wheel setup.
    The rear I am pretty much stuck with one option. A pirelli 335/25/22. Calculating the outer diameter difference from front to rear I come up with a 4.85% difference on an OEM setup. This can vary a bit lets says 4.5-4.9%.

My current setup is at 6.3% difference. I wont want to risk blowing the PTU or gearbox.

I can get my setup into the OEM range, with a Michelin 265/30/21, but would have a P Zero rear. I know a silly setup, but thoughts on this?

27.3-27.4" is my goal for front tire in 21"

(Also I compiled a list of the sizes, OEM, and so on if it is helpful to anyone else)

2. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I went thru this with my F12, 812 and Lusso.
    If you 21/22 is the set up, front you can run Pzero PZ4 265/30/21. Don't mix different brands cuz the ratings are different even tho it shows the same.

3. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Having different wheel size difference than stock will not put extra strain on the PTU, as by design it engages only when needed, and its clutches are always slipping anyway (due to the difference in gearing between the PTU and the gears in the rear gearbox). However, this might throw a code as the car will try to understand why there is a constant slippage between the front and rear. This might also affect the ABS as it could believe the slower spinning wheels are on the verge of blocking.
    Going with different brand/model tires, especially on a sport car, is a bad idea in my opinion, and can lead to erratic behaviour of the car, especially under the rain.

4. RossFF

RossFF Rookie

Mar 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    christopher
    Thanks guys for the input guys.

I actually found out this is my only option for keeping an all Pirelli setup. They PZ$ in a 265 matches well with the 335 rear Pirelli. The one thing I dont like, is the tread width on this tire. It doesnt make sense to me, with such a wide section width, but the tread is narrower than a stock 20 tire. Concerns on front handling?

Im going to make a spreadsheet, with OEM FF, GTC4Lusso, options, and so on, with the percentages of F/R difference. If for anything then reading entertainment, but maybe it will help someone...

5. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    PZ4's are very good actually, not those old Pzero's. I would like they are not far off from PS4, and definitely better than PSS.

My Lusso is currently on PZ4 265/30/21 and 315/25/22, they ride just like stock 20's. Much better than I expected.

rmfamily likes this.
  6. RossFF

RossFF Rookie

Mar 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    christopher
    Do you think a 275/30r21 will go okay on front? This looks to be a better match from OD, load, and tread width in the Pzero. I will have to check how close the tire is now with a 255 to the shock/control arm, and so on.
    Otherwise I guess I will go with a PZ4 in 265.

7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I would say that the Pirellis are superior to the Michelins

8. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    As stated, the size is not your problem - the different tread pattern front to rear will make the car feel unstable in certain conditions (anything but dry/hot). I would not do different tread patterns from the same manufacturer or different...

Also - Michelins IMO are far superior to Pirellis (minus their snow tires).. As opposed to the last poster, for a different POV.

350MH83 likes this.
  9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
  10. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    A few things to consider... Quite and comfort Michelin are a bit better (even in this test) - important on a GT car (f12, 812, FF, GTC4) , as well you will get around 5K more miles out of a PS4 than a PZ.... (at least in my 20 years of exotics having bounced between both tires over the years.) Don't get me wrong, I switch back and forth and try each generation of both brands (and used to even try Goodyear on occasion and Toyo a few times). Today, I have not found better overall: speed, handling, comfort, quietness, and wear characteristics better than the PS4 - as of now. Could change tomorrow, but as of now - no better.

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The most important thing is comfort? Really? By the way the 812 is NOT a GT car.

I test my tyres on the track. I have not found a better tyre than the Pirellis. About 1 second per lap quicker than the Michelins in my hands.

12. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Didn't say most important - read the post again

812 is a GT car... Really it is.. So is the F12 which it replaced (and I have one of those) :)

I will give the new PZ's a go on one of my cars during the next change.. as mentioned, always up to switching each generation between P and M's, as the advancements do change.. Speed is not my biggest factor as mentioned, as the amount of time on a track with my F or P cars is much less than street.. And again, longevity, comfort, quietness, etc. are all factors I look at.

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Ferrari themselves beg to differ, classifying it as a sports car, whilst the GTC4 and Portofino are classified as GTs. Even journalists criticise the 812 for not being GT enough (comfortable, long distance cruiser), driving more like a true supercar; more sporty than the rear-mid engined Aventador for that matter.

14. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I guess we are way off topic.. So will end with this..

Darn it, I have been calling the F12 and 812 GT cars which is evidently wrong then.... ;-)

"The Ferrari 812 Superfast (Type F152M) is a front mid-engine, two seat, rear-wheel-drive grand tourer"

Don't get me wrong, I believe they are as much as a sports car/supercar than any, just talking more specific classification.

15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #15 REALZEUS, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Yes, indeed. I too will stop here, just posting one last pic. ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The confusion stems from the legacy term "GT" that Ferrari used for all its road cars, but in recent years they started to differentiate between pure GTs and super-sports cars.

16. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    R J likes this.
  17. RossFF

RossFF Rookie

Mar 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    christopher
    Im doing P zero all around. 335/25R22. 275/30R21. The O.D. are within spec to OEM differences. I expect some slight rubbing on the fabric liner on turns in the front.

18. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Do not ever ever mix tyre brands between axles. Always try to retain the homologated tyres all round, but if you must change, keep the same brand and hopefully compound front to rear. The characteristics of the compounds used can vary greatly, even within one brand of tyre and can totally destroy the balance and handling due to different characteristics.